Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: bmike] #18444 03/06/09 07:52 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

I have never been completely sold on the idea of SIP's but can see their benefits as well as their shortcomings. It is just another solution in the timber framing toolbox that might prove to be more appropriate than other solutions to satisfy a given set of circumstances.

I was at a house in Surrey on Sunday and this was originally built with 2 x 4 stud walls that were covered in feather edged cedar on the outside and a simple split lath and lime plaster interior on the inside. There was no insulation in the walls and yet after a period of over 100 years this building is still standing. One would have thought that the occupants would have frozen to death a number of times over this last century but somehow both the building and its occupants (not the same ones) have managed to survive. The original building design solution was adequate for the building but not necessarily for the occupants. We have now been challenged to alter the balance slightly more in favour of the occupants without causing major damage to the building. Our solution will be mathematical tiles on the lower outside elevations on top of a breatheable building fabric (think Typar) with a sheepswool batt insulation in the cavity and a split lath and lime plaster interior. This is not a perfect solution but is one which attempts to respect both the building and its occupants and it is reverseable i.e. we can retrieve our steps back to the starting point if problems are encountered.

I do not think that this solution is necessarily the answer for New England and definitely not for Alaska but where possible the solution adopted should compliment and satisfy the building as well as being liveable for the occupants.

These old buildings would never satisfy modern building regulations however one has to ask the question which of the two has the greater track record ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 03/06/09 07:56 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: Ken Hume] #18445 03/06/09 12:28 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Glad to see the straw panels are back, I thought they kicked the bucket. The only place I had seen them used was over at Fox Maple. Steve had the ones with drywall as the skin on both sides, Which is what I would like to see. I didn't see them on that link, just OSB. R-25 for the 8" panel, I bet it is heavy.

Some great comments and perspectives. Yes, we need to leave room for the SIPS.

Tim

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: TIMBEAL] #18449 03/06/09 02:39 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Just wait until you receive your Mortise & Tenon #35 (now in distribution).

The final spread features a detailed look at modern adaptations of wattle and daub by Rob Hadden . . . . the energetic and adventuresome builder from Australia.

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: bmike] #18457 03/06/09 08:25 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: bmike
another way to get around that dreaded thermal bridging is to build a 2x4 wall on a pair of 2x8 plates. stagger the studs, so that the only locations where a stud passes from inside to out is @ doorways and windows.

In the mid-late 1980s, when I was a carpentry student at the local trade school, we built a "Good Sense Home" that was auctioned off at the close of the school year. It had two 2X4 walls set on a 2X12 shoe/plate that had a small air space in between. Deep window sills by default.

Both walls were insulated and stud layout staggered. The local power company (Central Maine Power) had sponsored these. Electric heat was becoming popular. We had a nuclear power plant then. It was the only example I ever saw of this type of "super insulated" house. I don't know why it didn't become more popular.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: OurBarns1] #18461 03/07/09 12:47 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Its pricey, and labor intensive. Uses quite a bit of material as well...

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: bmike] #18463 03/07/09 02:54 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Must be those reasons...economics governs most everything it seems. Short term economics.

But we're all here for the long term.

I liked your earlier thoughts on building what's right for the environment: timber frames don't make sense everywhere...
(but they are always beautiful :-))

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: OurBarns1] #18467 03/07/09 09:47 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Bob Hadden's work is incredible. I should get a subscription to the Mortice and Tenon. My interest has been perked, thanks, Joel.

It is amazing how some people can have such an objectionable opinion toward natural building material. Yesterday a life long friend came completely apart when I tried explaining my future plans to construct a clay/chip wall on an addition to my own home. It was not the first time someone has had difficulty with "Mud" being used to build with, like it is downgrading, or inferior. I was completely taken aback.

Tim

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: OurBarns1] #18468 03/07/09 11:59 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: OurBarns1
Must be those reasons...economics governs most everything it seems. Short term economics.

But we're all here for the long term.

actually, we're (you and me) are here for the very short term, and we (homosapiens) are here for the short term... everything else is relative. the earth - that has been and most likely will be here with or without us for a very long time.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: TIMBEAL] #18470 03/07/09 12:40 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Bob Hadden's work is incredible. I should get a subscription to the Mortice and Tenon. My interest has been perked, thanks, Joel.

It is amazing how some people can have such an objectionable opinion toward natural building material. Yesterday a life long friend came completely apart when I tried explaining my future plans to construct a clay/chip wall on an addition to my own home. It was not the first time someone has had difficulty with "Mud" being used to build with, like it is downgrading, or inferior. I was completely taken aback.

Tim

Tim,

I've noticed the same phenomenon. It's a real obstacle to these building methods being used more. I guess the answer is just keep exposing people to it. What did Ghandi say? "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

I, too, have become obsessed with the relationship between earth, lime, and timber. I am just starting the planning of my personal house and am weighing all the options. Mud brick? Cob? Woodchip clay? Time for more research...

You really need to come to the Eastern Conference this year in Saratoga Springs and talk to Rob Hadden -- he's a great guy and really loves to share what he knows. He is a good presenter and has a ton of good info and experience about building with clay and lime. He's just a really nice guy. (Also Jack Sobon will be there presenting, and possibly Laurie Smith).

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: Gabel] #18474 03/07/09 04:54 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I have not looked at the list of presenters of the Eastern Conference, I may have to squeeze it in. I just can't see it all happening. If I commit it gets harder to back out.

I am looking forward to doing some test digs for clay samples on my land. I also need to purchas some pure clay for comparison. My goal is to build the bulk of the structure from the the local enviroment, from the ground to the roof. Yup, on-going research.

Tim

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users