Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: TIMBEAL] #18493 03/09/09 02:40 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Thanks for the clarification - once again I was confused. Whew! I can go back to being Chris again.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: bmike] #18508 03/10/09 12:29 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Originally Posted By: bmike
So, who in this thread has worked with the 'dreaded' SIP? Installed it, engineered it, made it, cut it, etc. etc.? Just a curiosity poll... wondering who has hands on experience...

I've worked on one project that had SIPS, the first timber framing job I ever labored upon (working for another company of course). The SIPs required cutting on site and craning into place. Never again - I strongly disliked them before I ever worked with them, and after working with them, only felt more convinced of that view.

Last edited by Chris Hall; 03/10/09 12:30 AM.

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: ] #18509 03/10/09 12:34 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Originally Posted By: djswan
I figured you were talking about me after much confusion. It was using the name "Derek" that qued me in. I'm always glad to help clarify any statements regarding underwater cities, my dream home with genetically engineered mammoth tusk front pillars, and why carpenters should install SIPs on the moon and not on our dwellings here on earth. and always appreciate any help cleaning up, er ah clarifying. smile

at your service

Derek

Well ya gotta start small - forget SIPs on the moon, that's a job for the big boys, and i think Death Star has the contract sewn up. How about a line of SIP-inspired winter clothes? Sandwich Wear© perhaps might be a good branding possibility...

or...

how about this: In-SIP-id Wear©.

With the right celeb endorsements, this could be big!

Last edited by Chris Hall; 03/10/09 12:35 AM.

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: Chris Hall] #18510 03/10/09 12:39 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Chris Hall
Originally Posted By: djswan
I figured you were talking about me after much confusion. It was using the name "Derek" that qued me in. I'm always glad to help clarify any statements regarding underwater cities, my dream home with genetically engineered mammoth tusk front pillars, and why carpenters should install SIPs on the moon and not on our dwellings here on earth. and always appreciate any help cleaning up, er ah clarifying. smile

at your service

Derek

Well ya gotta start small - forget SIPs on the moon, that's a job for the big boys, and i think Death Star has the contract sewn up. How about a line of SIP-inspired winter clothes? Sandwich Wear© perhaps might be a good branding possibility...

or...

how about this: In-SIP-id Wear©.

With the right celeb endorsements, this could be big!

Maybe a posthumous Notorious SIP.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: bmike] #18511 03/10/09 01:56 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: bmike
So, who in this thread has worked with the 'dreaded' SIP? Installed it, engineered it, made it, cut it, etc. etc.? Just a curiosity poll... wondering who has hands on experience...

I've installed the Notorious SIP a few times. I never recomend them for walls. They make no sense in Georgia in that application. Occasionally, I think they make sense for a roof.

I like cellulose better.

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: Gabel] #18512 03/10/09 02:00 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Gabel
Occasionally, I think they make sense for a roof.

I like cellulose better.

+1, I certainly feel this way most of the time.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: ] #18516 03/10/09 10:40 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Don't panic, I was told by the panel guys, that flavor is just carbon, the base of all life.

I think I made a post the other day but it seems to of fallen into the gutter. Yes I have used them. It seems I am looking for a higher challenge in my life. Panels are simple but complex. Clay/woodchips are also, just on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Tim

Last edited by TIMBEAL; 03/10/09 10:41 AM.
Re: 2 structures?! [Re: TIMBEAL] #18517 03/10/09 03:11 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
All hail the clay-woodchip partnership. Low tech, customizable, no off-gassing, pleasant to work, and when plastering, leads to rewarding skill development over time. Varied, tunable, colorable, repairable, recyclable, low embedded energy - all good.

Of course, the clay/woodchip excels in the wall- it's the roof insulation that is the bigger energy-conserving concern and more difficult to realize with basic materials like clay and pant-fiber.

Has anyone looked into amending the clay/straw/w.h.y with a bunch of perlite and casting lightweight insulative blocks?

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: ] #18519 03/10/09 05:02 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Ah, word to the wise - beware the circular work - challenging and time consuming, especially in irregular/natural materials.

By the way, that was meant to be 'plant' fiber, not 'pant' fiber in the previous post (though pant fiber might well work!).

how come you can only edit a post once - what's with THAT?

Last edited by Chris Hall; 03/10/09 05:05 PM.

Re: 2 structures?! [Re: ] #18521 03/10/09 11:40 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
but as gravity has the power to bend light, theres a fairly good chance that if we do find life 'out there' we might be looking right back on ourselves, carpenters on the moon or not.

i'd kind of expect walls made of cheese then.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users