Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
foundation question/opinion? #1822 08/11/05 06:25 PM
D
Dan Dwelley Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've heard mixed thoughts on capping and sealing a foundation for the winter but I would like to get all of your opinions. I'm talking about a foundation wintering in Maine. I'm contemplating it but would like to hear the opinion of those with more years experience than I.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

- Albert Einstein.
Re: foundation question/opinion? #1823 08/11/05 08:18 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
keep the frost away from your footings for sure... how is the foundation constructed?(block/poured/etc???)

Re: foundation question/opinion? #1824 08/11/05 09:05 PM
D
Dan Dwelley Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Poured wall foundation. Most likely, the footings will be on ledge. Top soil isn't too deep before solid rock.

Dan

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

- Albert Einstein.
Re: foundation question/opinion? #1825 08/12/05 06:39 AM
Z
Zach LaPerriere Offline
Z
Hello Dan,

I don't know when you plan to pour, but the conventional wisdom I've heard is that concrete increase its strength indefinately until its first freeze. I've seen young concrete from days old to even a couple of weeks that seemed to be inferior (from powder to just plain soft) to those that had cured a while. The other thing to remember is that concrete curing is a chemical reaction, so the colder it is (above freezing) the longer it takes.
For low walls, blue board on the sides (if backfilling this is permanent) and top insulates and lets ground heat keep your walls warmer longer.
Blue board is expensive. If you're looking for lots of the temporary (or permanent) kind, call a few industrial roofing contractors now, they often pitch board from reroofing projects. I've seen up to 6" board hauled to the dump.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but I don't like seeing anything go under a month before its first mild freeze. If you're in a pinch you can play with the chemistry, which is a fine art and science.
A good source of information is your local batch plant. That's where I take my technical questions.
Best of luck,

Zach

Re: foundation question/opinion? #1826 08/12/05 08:39 PM
A
Andy Roeper Offline
A
hay bales. lotsa, lotsa bales. OK, you may shelter a few hundred mice but square bales stacked well do a pretty good job of insulating. Given the crummy weather this summer there may be an abundance of mulch hay. Covering it all with a tarp will improve tings/minimize water deposits. Then you have all this good organic matter for finishing the site wink

Re: foundation question/opinion? #1827 08/13/05 02:36 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Any concrete poured which will have ground contact needs to be permanently waterproofed to prevent seepage throuh the wall.
The old black stuff rollered or sprayed on has a limited life and is subject to being pierced when you backfill.

for but a few dollars add Xypex to the dry mix (or have your batch plant do it) the the water issue goes away forever. Check out the Xypex website for all the wunnerful info.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users