Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Company in the States, job site in Canada? #16731 09/04/08 12:41 PM
daiku Offline OP
OP Offline
My company is located in the northern US, and I've been approached by a prospective client in the nearby part of Canada. We've never taken a Canadian job before. Is anyone familiar with the rules for this kind of "international" work? CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: daiku] #16775 09/10/08 01:18 AM
E
eddymatt84 Offline
E
I had to turn down a job over the border in of NH once because i couldn't get the paper work done before the the proposed raising date. If you have a couple of months to do the paperwork for Canada its do able. however the tax situation is another bugger. Good luck
Matt

Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: eddymatt84] #16780 09/10/08 12:44 PM
daiku Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, Matt. Can you be more specific? What paperwork and what taxes?

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: daiku] #16791 09/11/08 02:40 AM
E
eddymatt84 Offline
E
i will try to email you the paperwork info i recieved. the tax stuff i don;t no much info about. i just was told it was difficult.
good luck
matt

Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: daiku] #17335 11/12/08 07:01 PM
J
Justin Bush Offline
J
This may be a day late and a dollar short, but there are laws/regulations that make it difficult for U.S. TF'ers to work in Canada, even for short periods of time. You can usually get away with sending a "Technical Advisor" for the raising, but sending a full crew complete with tools, etc. isn't very easy. I've heard of some companies sending the T.A. across the border with all the tools, while the rest of the crew follows a bit later, no tools, just clothes, while on a "vacation."

Not that I am suggesting you willfully break international laws, but there are creative ways around them.

Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: Justin Bush] #17336 11/12/08 08:08 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
It is difficult and expensive to do this well.

Generally, Americans are allowed into Canada to install something they have made in the US. My experience indicates that a long lead time for planning and conversation with both Customs (inventory your equipment, post a bond, and make sure you check in on your way back) and Immigration (who's on your crew - any DUIs in their histories?).

You are probably not going to be allowed into Canada to work for a timber frame company.

You are probably not going to be allowed into Canada to make a timberframe on site, unless you can figure out a way to convincingly describe that as a service instead of a product. (Good luck with that.)

You are probably not going to be allowed into Canada to install a frame cut by someone else, either. Your actual mileage will vary.

Your best bet is to establish a long running telephonic relationship with a Customs and an Immigration rep at or near your port of entry; asking all of your questions and answering ALL of theirs.

Their software is much better than it used to be - so 'forgetting' to mention some salient fact about your staff or business is not going to work as well as it used to.

Most importantly, all bets are off in Quebec. My French pals have a much stronger union base than the rest of Canada, and are much more seriously devoted to the idea that you might be trying to take some food off of a Quebecer's plate.

Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: Joel McCarty] #18395 03/03/09 03:06 AM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Clark,

You really dont want the hassle but if you did, cut the frame in the US and ship it up. Ensure your price includes raising onsite in the purchase price. That way you would not have the hassle with CAN customs. I go down to the US a fair amount with work and have no issues but coming back up the folks at the border have serious attitude.

Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: eddymatt84] #18397 03/03/09 03:19 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
What happened with all that 'free trade' stuff that was supposed to be so great?

wink

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Company in the States, job site in Canada? [Re: bmike] #18404 03/04/09 01:08 AM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline
B
Funny man!

Though its only free if it is in the interest of both parties

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users