Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
to oil or not to oil? #1854 08/16/05 02:37 PM
B
Bruce Chrustie Offline OP
OP Offline
B
that is the question....not looking for what oils to use per se, but are their any advantages to oiling a frame? My Sobon shed is nicely weathered for 2 years. I took it down this past weekend and am hand planing the rough sawn timbers. The end effect is that it looks like reclaimed material, not perfect, but interesting character. Just what I want! Some underlying gray spots, some circ saw marks left. Some nicely patina'd pine.

I don't realy see the need to apply a finish on it, but am I missing something?

The shed will eventually hold my kitchen in it.

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1855 08/16/05 03:07 PM
C
Collin Beggs Offline
C
You are not missing anything at all. In fact you have it exactly right.
-Collin

"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (1343-1400)
Re: to oil or not to oil? #1856 08/16/05 04:09 PM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
The look you have achieved sounds great but raises some questions. With the kitchen in mind the surface will be exposed to airborne grease and other sticky stuff which will change the color in a darker direction. In the meantime is moisture a potential problem ? If you have moisture and darkeness you are inviting bugs, mold and mildew.
By oiling you will diminish the effect of all the nasties and inhibit any unwanted patina change. Tung oil works well but costs a bit of elbow grease in its application.
Good luck

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1857 08/16/05 05:47 PM
B
OP Offline
B
As more of a woodworker than a timber framer Tung Oil would be one of the last finishes I would use in the kitchen under such circumstances. I think you have some excellent points....but why not a poly? If anything. The structure is not that large so I can afford the elbow grease. But I am thinking that for protection in such an environment I would go with a tougher finish.

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1858 08/16/05 07:34 PM
J
John Buday Offline
J
2 cents here.....

If you do go with a hard finish, and I think kitchens and baths do make a good argument for that.
You may want to try something with a flat as opposed to gloss or even satin. It might take some looking and you might have to order it, but I think its worth it for what you are doing.
A flat poly would probably make the most subtle finish and I've found you can mix it next to oil finishes.
You might want to look at water based polys as well

Good luck

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1859 08/16/05 10:50 PM
M
Mark Davidson Offline
M
I agree with Collin, If you are hand planing, then the surfaces will be easy enough to clean off with a damp rag...

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1860 08/17/05 01:15 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi all:

Just had to jump in here.

I am a great person to look at what happened many years ago. These modern finishes look good for a while but I enjoy the natural aging look of hand finished timber taking on the character of natural aging-- just look at any historic home or tavern, that has its interior exposed timber work left to accept its many exposures to cooking, meals, washing, smoking, you name it, and people fall right in love with it, it becomes a finish all its own, one that can not be duplicated commercially.

barn boards are another example, both interior and exterior each with its own character, I have seen 28" vertical sawn wide pine boards on the side walls of granaries that had that mellow look even after nearly 200 years of dust, bugs, flies, moisture-in fact they were so nice that they disappeared from the barn, and probably became a display in someone's home.

I enthusiastically say no modern finish, leave the surfaces alone, and let them aquire the tones from your lifestyle, that you will no doubt surround them with, they will become part of you.

This type of age finishing can be compared to a hand made handle aged with the sweat, and oils from the palms of your hands.

NH

Re: to oil or not to oil? #1861 08/17/05 01:14 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your input folks.....I will leave it as is. I will be sure not to make any tomato based pasta sauce though near any timbers....I can cook, I just can't clean!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users