Print Thread
Rate Thread
Required Education? #18786 03/25/09 12:17 AM
C
Capone Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Everyone:

I hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to get a better understanding of the design process of TF homes. Specifically, I'm interested in learning how to get started in the design portion of this industry. Any information provided would be greatly appreciated.

1. What kind of formal training is required to be successful at TF design? Is a degree in Architecture required or will a Masters in Civil Engineering provide the necessary foundation? I have a mechanical engineering degree but am considering going back for additional education. Also, what are some of the certifications and/or licensing (i.e. PE or other) requirements to design TF structures for commercial/residential applications? Can anyone recommend any University's that have good programs?

2. Is it necessary to start off as an apprentice learning the craft before studying the design process? Not that I wouldn’t want to go this route but at this point I have a young family so I have dont have the option of relocating to new job sites.

3. Do you have any information regarding the growth of this industry or suggestions on where I can find this information. Is demand growing for designers? If so, where do I need to position myself to gain entry into this industry?

Thanks again,

Mike

Last edited by Capone; 03/25/09 12:19 AM.
Re: Required Education? [Re: Capone] #18787 03/25/09 01:00 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
If you want to stamp and seal drawings, the PE will trump anything else you can gain via education.

If you want to design sensible frames and learn the craft I would suggest working for several different styles of shop - restoration, hand, machine, production, etc. Lots to learn all around. Move from floor to field to office - and you'll have a breadth of understanding of what goes into the work.

If you want to design sensible homes and buildings, and use timber where it makes sense - you can get there by a variety of paths. Its fairly straight forward to design a frame or look to historical examples as starting places - it is a whole nother problem designing structures and buildings that reflect the life and living of the users / occupants. Anyone can design a house. Not everyone can design something that becomes a home. Throwing timber at the problem is not the answer - and architecture school might help... if you approach it with the right attitude. (been there and done that)

Attend some conferences, take a Heartwood course or two (or one near you). Get out to a local raising by a company near to you. Study old buildings. Read the TF journal, order the TFG design books, etc. etc.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Required Education? [Re: bmike] #18792 03/25/09 10:34 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Mike,

Your Mechanical Engineering degree will no doubt have included structural mechanics and if yes then you are off to a good start.

Aspiring to become a P.E. or P.Eng. is something that you should consider regardless since you already possess an engineering degree.

Most folks will pursue some or all of the various items outlined above by MikeB but there are also now a number of educational establishments that have decided to teach timber building in a more formal manner. This of course requires an investment of both time and money.

Since timber buildings are made from just that you will need to develop an understanding of trees, how they grow, are managed, harvested and converted to yield scantlings that are fit for purpose.

A historical appreciation of past practice employed in timber frame building construction is essential since this form of timber building has stood the test of time.

New forms of timber frame design might well be exciting but could also represent and pose a level of risk beyond which only really experienced practioners or the foolhardy should consider undertaking.

It is important at some point to physically apply yourself to the production of timber frame components. Many lessons need to be learned and understood to be able to reflect the same in timber frame designs.

With the introduction of CNC automated joinery making machinery the designer/ carpenter balance has now swung dramatically in favour of the designer and so you might well want to target those companies engaged in CAD / CAM related timber frame production as a first step.

The really important thing to be able to do is to think about the consequences of your actions and especially the effect that this could have upon unsuspecting people. When you don't know what you don't know you can be a very dangerous person indeed.

Send me a PM if you want further information on this topic.

Regards

Ken Hume P.Eng.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Required Education? [Re: bmike] #18793 03/25/09 10:42 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Nice response bmike, precisely. May I add you will want to become familiar with various cad programs, they may be helpful. I would want to work with someone who has been there and done that, than someone who is just there.

Tim

Re: Required Education? [Re: TIMBEAL] #18795 03/25/09 02:20 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Funny how we were recently discussing this whole scenario in another thread [build/design]. Now we have someone who's actually seeking advice on the best way to approach the path.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users