Rating: 5
Page 39 of 136 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #18788 03/25/09 01:25 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Ken: you hit the nail right on the head, I must confess that I misspelled the name the article in the paper used "Lych" gate not the way I spelled it. It is amusing because the plaque that was mounted on the gateway to that Anglian church spells it in this way, your spelling seems to need a "t", but what ever is right I expect yours is the right spelling though.

the article does go on to say that other spellings are "lychgate", "lichgate", "lycugate" or "lychgate"

I stopped and examined it a couple of days ago up close, to see what damage had been done to it due to the frost tipping the stone pollars that supported it last winter. What I found was that one of the supporting timbers had split where it sat in a notched housing on the top of the stone pillar so the whole unit had to be lifted off for safety reasons and moved to a location behind the church for the time being.

For 106 years of age the condition of the lytchgate roof seemed to be exceptionally good but the stone pier has tipped badly.

Their estimate of repair according to the news article was $225,000 which seems a bit high in my books.

I think that the pier could be excavated around its base and with some manouevering with cables could be straigtened up and below the frost line form and pour supporting concrete, then just repair the timber and replace it back in its original position, what do you all think?

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #18789 03/25/09 01:26 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Ken: you hit the nail right on the head, I must confess that I misspelled the name the article in the paper used "Lych" gate not the way I spelled it. It is amusing because the plaque that was mounted on the gateway to that Anglian church spells it in this way, your spelling seems to need a "t", but what ever is right I expect yours is the right spelling though.

the article does go on to say that other spellings are "lychgate", "lichgate", "lycugate" or "lychgate"

I stopped and examined it a couple of days ago up close, to see what damage had been done to it due to the frost tipping the stone pollars that supported it last winter. What I found was that one of the supporting timbers had split where it sat in a notched housing on the top of the stone pillar so the whole unit had to be lifted off for safety reasons and moved to a location behind the church for the time being.

For 106 years of age the condition of the lytchgate roof seemed to be exceptionally good but the stone pier has tipped badly.

Their estimate of repair according to the news article was $225,000 which seems a bit high in my books.

I think that the pier could be excavated around its base and with some manouevering with cables could be straigtened up and below the frost line form and pour supporting concrete, then just repair the timber and replace it back in its original position, what do you all think?

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18791 03/25/09 09:36 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Richard,

Now it my turn to apologise - I just checked the Oxford Dictionary and find that there is no "t" in lychgate though it is pronounced as if there was one present.

A digi pic of this upset would be good. I think that you could probably build a couple of these for the sum mentioned.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Ken Hume] #18807 03/26/09 01:56 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi Ken and others looking in:

sorry I don't have any pics of this problem presently but I agree the price seems to be a bit out of line,

I think that we have the correct spelling now maybe someone who knows how to file it should put it in the TFG Glossary for those thatmay want to refer to it.

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18890 03/30/09 12:25 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Before I move away from this subject I would like to ask Don in his post above dealing with the "AP wire" that dealt with the 100,000th post. I have tried to find it but I have been unsuccessful, I would like to read the article. Is there anyway you can direct me to the article, I would sure apreciate it.

Also thanks for the nice remarks dealing with that milestone, it sure wasn't all my doing without you guys coming on board nothing would have happened --period.

I am glad that you all enjoyed the posts ,and joined in from time to time, my main object was that everyone learns alittle i really didn't expect such a loyal group.

As I look back just a few years-- helping to hosting the TTRAG when they met here in Morrisburg was real treat, right now with the economy faltering it sure is straining people's resources from what i can make out from some of your comments, and will probably hurt attendance at some of the future meetings.

Your new president is making good progress at least in my opinion I hope that he can pull off some of the things that he is hoping to do. I guess we have no choice but wait and see.

This is alittle off topic but you guys should be getting used to me by now, my son is restoring a home he owns that has a turn of the century tin ceiling in it, some sections need repair, is there anyone out there that knows of a supplier?

thanks in advance

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18891 03/30/09 01:43 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Hi Richard,

My little "AP neswire" line was a parody, a joke. It was all meant in good taste.

I write for some local papers and kind of "went with it" here on hearing the news of the forum's 100,000th. I just fell into my writing persona and acted like your 100,000th viewing was a front-page thing.

It was just meant for our core of regulars to get a kick out of, etc. I didn't post it anywhere else. (I probably should have said it was a joke... gottcha!)

Anyway, here's to the 200,000th!!

(I still think you've earned that hand hewn plaque, however!!)

best--

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: OurBarns1] #18902 03/30/09 06:26 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
NH:
I thought I posted a link a while ago about where you can find "tin ceiling" reproduction panels; but that could have been on another forum.

There are companies out there that make them, and sell them fairly reasonable, I believe.

You should be able to find one, with a google search....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jim Rogers] #18903 03/30/09 06:32 PM
J
Online Confused
J
Yes, it was on another forum, but I found the link I was looking for.
Here it is:
http://www.americantinceilings.com/patterns.html?gclid=CLDptbqCtZgCFQsMGgod62pHTA

And here is a second one:

http://www.thetinman.com/default.htm

Last edited by Jim Rogers; 03/30/09 06:36 PM. Reason: add second link

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Jim Rogers] #18926 04/01/09 01:18 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello tonight

To Don and Jim

Thanks for the clarification Don on the "AP Wire" You had me fooled for sure, I always enjoy a little fooling around it breaks the monotony

And Jim thanks for the leads on the tin ceiling repro Companies I will pass it along to my son.

I haven't been able to post any pictures lately from my album in Photobucet I really don't know what is happening but I am trying to figure it out.

Would anyone like to do alittle reminising on The Seaway\power project development shared between the USA and Canada on the St Lawrence river it happened here in the early 60's.

For starters they moved over 500 homes using two house movers, one that could lift 100 tons and one that could lift 200 tons, the tires were 10 feet in height, and 3 feet across their faces.

to be cont'd

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #18934 04/01/09 12:33 PM
J
Online Confused
J
I'd like to see pictures of that....

Page 39 of 136 1 2 37 38 39 40 41 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members