Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hand Saws for Large Tenon Cuts [Re: mo] #20248 06/11/09 07:18 AM
brad_bb Offline
Sort of. First cut on top just to make a small groove. Then cut the vertical down to the corner. Then saw at the 45 angle until your saw reaches both corners (upper right and lower left in that pic). Then score the other vertical and cut down sawing horizontally to finish the cut. I actually cut some of the lower corners before finishing the cut to avoid tear out there.

Re: Hand Saws for Large Tenon Cuts [Re: brad_bb] #20250 06/11/09 10:23 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I may have a slightly different approach. I saw across the top, I am only sawing the lines I can see at this point, I don't roll the timber, I did at one time I am always looking to shorten the work up. So, across the top and down the side I am facing, on bigger timber I end up kneeling on the floor, I them move to the other side and place the saw in the kerf as an assistant guide to proceed down that face, the bottom I just wing it, it has to come off where it is.

When you guys are cutting down the verticals are you facing the line or looking over the timber and cutting the line on the face away from you?

If the timber has tenons I will be using the french snap it the grain allows, so I am not cutting all the way through, otherwise it is chainsaw time for the butt end of the tenon. I do like the ends of the top plates cut with the handsaw, no cleanup and the accuracy I need, which is where I use the above method.

Chainsaws are cordless tools and if the old timers had them they would have used them, right?

Tim

Re: Hand Saws for Large Tenon Cuts [Re: TIMBEAL] #20262 06/12/09 03:03 AM
brad_bb Offline
I'm definitely on the same side of the timber as the vertical line I'm cutting. You have to be on the same side of the line to get a good view of what you are cutting in my opinon. Looking over the timber at the opposite vertical face is too difficult to be accurate me thinks.
Definitely don't overcut a shoulder. The over cut lines won't be pretty. I saw down close and then give the block a whack with my mallet, and clean the corner with my chisel.

Re: Hand Saws for Large Tenon Cuts [Re: DKR] #20267 06/12/09 11:20 AM
K
kfhines Offline
K
AHH nothing is more comfortable in the hand as my old hand saws. The ergonomics of the old saws seems to eliminate the fatigue I get when using the newer saws, any body else notice this? I like them, and they are sharp but at 26 inches they are not quite long enough for me.

Sorry a little of track. Tim I go about it pretty much the same way you do. I start on the top far corner work across the face and down the side sawing only the lines I can see. Then move to the opposite side using the existing kerf as a guide saw down the vertical face. With all things being equal the saw should come out on the bottom line.

Always striving to split the line. Never purposely sawing out side the line, paring end grain sucks!

kfhines

"When dictatorship is a fact, revolution becomes a right."
Victor Hugo
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users