Rating: 5
Page 41 of 136 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: ] #19036 04/07/09 12:25 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Derek and others looking in:

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I just threw this topic in for the enjoyment of those that like history.

You Know There are alot of wonderful people in the world and I feel humbled to have had the opportunity to talk and visit with many thousands of them. I always studied my history and researched my subjects as well as I could so that I could consider my responses as accurate as possible.

Talking with all of you here on this forum , I realize many are just passing by. It reminds me of days gone now, as I worked and paused to visit with those that took the time to stop, and as I glanced up from time to time I would see many just glance my way and then pass on, they would be pointing towards me and instructing their children probably putting in their version of what they are seeing.

I just want to say right now it would be nice to talk to everyone of you, but I know that is not possible, I hope that you look back through my posts and posts of others over the last 7 or 8 months and really enjoy the trip I have really had a wonderful time

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19049 04/07/09 03:41 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Likewise, NH

May the journey continue...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: ] #19082 04/11/09 12:51 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight

you know as I look and listen to everyone's responses and see the wonderful structures that you all are building from timbers I wonder sometimes how you please the customers, I don't think that I would like to go there, I will leave that up to you guys so carry on and I will really enjoy seeing the finished
product(s)

I am used to reconstructing period structures with all their little imperfections, that is what gives the old buildings their magical looks--

somehow I think that the modern clients expect too much from you guys!!--wood will shrink,check, split,twist, have funny little stains (in the wrong spots) is there anyting else that I have missed--please jump in and let us know what other weird properties that wood has

Anyway happy Easter to everyone- that is if you celebrate Easter if not happy whatever--I am just an old TFER and a Canadian one at that, or should I say a North American one at that since my father in his great wisdom about 90 years ago decided to go to San Francisco to help rebuild that great city after the earth quake at that time.

He met my mother and brought her all the way back to Morrisburg. She will soon celebrate her 97th, I asked her a while ago "mother what did you think of Dundas county when you arrived here" (about 1930).

Her reply was "it sure was pretty rough but I would have followed your father to the ends of the earth"

With that thought I will retire for the night

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19091 04/11/09 11:06 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Hi Richard, I am not sure I would call them imperfections, for that suggest something is incorrect or wrong and there for should be corrected and removed form the process, in effect, changing the product of that particular individual. These "imperfections" cannot be added artificially, they appear fake when done. That slip of the axe, as an example, landing in the wrong place; how many of these should we strategically place and where, most likely if this is tried there will be to many and in the wrong places. This, the axe mark, can only happen if the original intent of the axe is true to its cause. Another "oops" that can happen is the miscut piece and the fix needed to correct the process so it can continue to flow. I have visited numerous old structures and pondered what caused this or that to happen, it is always reassuring when I come across such mishaps, for they leave me smiling and knowing I am on the right path, human nature has not changed and dyslexia lives on. A most appropriate topic for Easter and the sins of man. In the end maybe they are imperfections.

Tim

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19097 04/11/09 04:20 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi everyone tonight

I am used to reconstructing period structures with all their little imperfections, that is what gives the old buildings their magical looks--

somehow I think that the modern clients expect too much from you guys!!--wood will shrink,check, split,twist, have funny little stains (in the wrong spots) is there anyting else that I have missed--please jump in and let us know what other weird properties that wood has

NH

As Tim suggests, perhaps "imperfections" doesn't quite define it… Idiosyncrasies, signatures, details, traits, etc. might be more apt.

Wood's flammability is only an imperfection in the eyes of the fire chief and insurance man. But in the woodstove, flammability is very much appreciated. Perfection is an honorable goal, but it's important to preserve the idiosyncrasies, signatures, details and traits of wood and those who work it.

Wood is a wonderful medium. The colors are like moods; the grain patterns become signatures; knots are like fingerprints: you could look at a thousand and not find its twin.

Other weird properties are sounds, smells—even dust, I suppose. A piece of hardwood has a distinct resonance when dropped on the shop's cement floor. Nailing softwood two-by lumber makes its own reverberation. Freshly-cut birch smells like peppermint; oak is almost ammonia-like; pine--well, that makes for a nice scented pillow customers like.

And those "magical looks." I would like to see some of those period structures with all their little "imperfections" you appreciate and speak off, NH... Like Tim said, a slip of the axe is its own beautiful signature.

I think wood is like language in a way. Different languages help define cultures, help record their idiosyncrasies. I'm glad there are different species of wood to choose from. The world would be a dull place if we all spoke the same tongue.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: ] #19104 04/12/09 12:40 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight:

Well--good responses, I know now that my term "imperfections" doesn't quite cut it in the big picture, I suppose in my small world "imperfections" was a big part of my life.

For example in the selection of 6 by 12 white oak timbers that would make up the barrel wheel of our water powered saw mill during its reconstruction, I did in fact try and select timber without imperfections, such as ingrown bark, cross grain, knots, rot, worm holes,--I call these imperfections that I personally would not consider suitable for this expensive reconstruction.

AS I walked the pine bushes looking for trees that would fall in the "OK" category for purchasing I would look again for imperfections that were not suitable such as crook, black knots, woodpecker holes,--realizing full well that trees have limbs like meat has bones.

Thanks again for the broader terminology I am sure those looking in will scratch their heads alittle trying to figure out just what exactly we are saying, but to summ it all up I believe that for sure we want wood to retain its natural characteristics to a certain degree, I am with you a 100%, and for sure that gnarled old tree certainly has really tough fibres in it, and when you cut it and work up the resulting wood maybe apply alittle stain it will look far better than that plain old straight grained board (that we pay lots for)-- now I can just hear the sound of someone muttering--"now that is character"---

A good night to everyone

Hope you enjoy this chatter and thanks for all your comments--

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19106 04/12/09 01:38 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Thank you Richard, I hope all is well.

Derek, I just heard OSHA has a fix for splinters, gloves, you could get a substantial fine.

Tim

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: TIMBEAL] #19439 04/30/09 12:53 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Well sorry for having been away so long but I had to attend to some business.

Talking about wood in the last post and wanting to retain its characteristics, I began to think about broadaxe handles and the types of wood that I use to manufacture them.

I personally lean towards wild cherry as my first choice, it has the greatest patina after you use it for a bit of time. The sweat from your hands impart a glow to the surface of the wood that gives it a distinctive look and feel, like the rubbed surface of an historical piece of furniture.

I was just wondering if any of you woodworkers that stop by might have any preferences as far as types of wood to use, and maybe a reason to go along with the choice.

I also use a glass finish once I have attained the proper shape and offset. Is there any secrets you would like to share here with everyone, please feel free to jump in.

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19441 04/30/09 01:59 AM
OurBarns1 Offline

I like handle patina, too: has a certain authenticity you can't rush.

Cherry is one of my favorite woods for woodworking (for furniture), but I'm surprized to hear you like it for an axe handle. Cherry is certainly a smooth wood, good on the hands...

I've held some beautiful canoe paddles made of cherry. They look great, but it's not the most decay-resistant stuff, so I would not expect them to last, nor would i expect them to fare well in a stretch of rapids jamming off rocks.

Wild cherry in your area is probably a bit different that the Appalachian stuff I've worked with (and love). I like to finish cherry w/ tung or linseed oil thinned w/ a bit of mineral spirits so it can penetrate deeply.

I've seen some wild cherry in Maine where I live. It doesn't get very big and has a "crooked" nature. Is that why you like it for broad axe handles?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: OurBarns1] #19442 04/30/09 02:48 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
Heartwood cherry is actually on the high end of the rot resistant range. Certainly not like black locust, however. I've always used ash for tool handles, straight grain, rives easily. I've got to make a broad axe handle, maybe I'll look into cherry, it certainly has a crooked growth habit.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Page 41 of 136 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users