Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
TTRAG '09 #19313 04/20/09 08:54 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a few pics and video clips to share from the recent TTRAG conf. in York, Maine. Will get them up soon. Others must have some to post as well.

It was a great conference: I worked up a sweat hewing, AND sat on my butt listening to a diverse group of speakers... even got to meet the venerable Jack-- even shook his hand (I didn't wash my hand for many, many hours!)

As far as "virtual before actual," it was pretty refreshing to actually experience being a member of the TFG !!

I do have a question to pose: some video includes our most venerable, Mr. Sobon, talking over a log w/ other attendees about the finer points of hewing. A neat exchange. But I don't want to offend Jack. I guess I'm wondering if he would object to that getting put up on youtube.

Anyone who knows him care to advise?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19314 04/20/09 09:44 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Don,

I'd just give him a call at his office number, it's in the directory. I'd certainly like to see some of your videos.

Brad

Last edited by timberwrestler; 04/20/09 09:45 PM.
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: timberwrestler] #19317 04/21/09 07:02 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I think that it might prove diplomatic to simply send him a copy of the video to play on his computer so that he can see what you are proposing. Keep in mind that he makes his living providing classes and if your video is well made then this could just make Jack obsolete.

I recently attended a wedding reception and noted that there were a number of people aiming digital video recorders at our family group and this felt a bit like being under surveilance by the Stazi - not nice !

Now that you are a fully paid up member of the TFG please note under the TTRAG web pages that "The archive will be open to all Guild members for their study purposes. Not only will it be a record of historic structures, but it will aid in the advancement of the crafts practiced today." I hope that you can share with us whether this actually works in practice.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 07:14 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19318 04/21/09 11:35 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I had the opportunity, once I hope, to work in a house with a camera monitoring system, very awkward. Now with modern technology advancing rapidly it is more common for such thing to happen, especially in open public demonstrations such as the hewing demo. I wonder, legally, if there is any way to protect ones self from unwanted use of such a video? Or, if when speaking to someone in a particular environment, so be it. What about the demonstrator, Mike Beaudry? Does he have any say in the issue?

I did like the light medieval T-axe Mike had on display and use/trial.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19319 04/21/09 12:00 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Tim,

Its worth taking a look at the Bayeaux tapestry where you will see embroidered illustrations of tee hewing axes in use by the Normans as they prepared planks for their invasion ships. One has to take care about interpretation of such historic artefacts because they reckon that this tapestry was actually put together by the English (its their story after all) and so they would have used images about which they were familiar and therefore these illustrations might not necessarily have been Norman axe illustrations but more English axes. There is one in Winchester city museum. Do you have a digi pic of Mike's Tee axe ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 12:01 PM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19331 04/21/09 02:47 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline

I'll try to reach Jack about posting the video. As Tim pointed out, Jack did not lead the demonstration...my suggestion that Jack was going over the finer points of hewing may be exaggerated. He didn't actually hew anything. But he did have some neat recollections and suggestions, etc. And he was a bit miffed by the medieval "t-axe."

Here are some pics of Mike Beaudry's axes.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19335 04/21/09 04:46 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

The Tee Axe looks the part as per the Bayeux Tapestry.

Jack was once asked - "What is the best way to hew" the answer came back - "Pay someone else 10 bucks an hour to do it for you"

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 04:49 PM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19344 04/21/09 11:52 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ken:

Nice tapestry. That's the axe for sure. Here's a link to it... It's quite pricey:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5507

I left Jack a voice mail today and am waiting for a reply. Meanwhile, Mike Beaudry has given the "all clear" for me to post these clips where he instructs me in the art of hewing.

This log was huge; not something to learn on really. I can sympathize w/ paying someone else to hew! I got bloody knuckles...

part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xhVTyG6u1E

part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9pF5tmcWc

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19345 04/22/09 12:48 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
When the axe price goes over $600 I draw the line. Maybe I will have to try to make one.

I had to click on some of the other hewing videos and a almost disturbing seen arose, a fellow hewing with bare feet! I can say he was most efficient though.

Don the handle on the scoring axe was short for the job. The one I use, I can stand up right and still reach the bottom of the log. You did well.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19350 04/22/09 08:11 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

Its interesting that the Tee axe was made by Gransfors and that they based their version on an early 11th century Danish shipbuilding axe. That means that this shape of axe was in use in England / France / Denmark at the same time and thus it is very likely that this was a long established and widely used pattern. Can someone with experience using this axe give us their impressions please.

Don I agree with Tim that the scoring axe was far too short for you. The log is very big and really way beyond the optimal size for hewing and especially the resultant log face was very deep. To reduce wastage it would have been much better to square a log like this using hewing and then halve it by sawing. History is revealing that timbers employed in early buildings were generally small and fit for purpose (just) and thus the amount of wood being removed was fairly minimal.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/22/09 08:13 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users