Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19351 04/22/09 10:30 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
We talked about the size of the log while helping Mike set up, and ended up with the same results you did, Ken. The fellow doing the hewing should be selecting the logs needed and the resulting size would be "just right". The log was not selected by the hewer, he had to work with it though.

I only pealed off a couple of feet and found the T-axe to be rather light, which I liked, it is used with the blade parallel to the log not angled, with other axes I find you have some freedom of angle, this one liked to be parallel. I would use it to clean up the last 1/4" of thickness for its light weight would prevent heavy wood removal. Mike jokingly commented it would be his axe he will use in his retirement years, it is not one of his primary axes. That is my limited impression, about 2', but enough to make me want to try it a lot more. It is a single bevel axe.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19355 04/22/09 02:23 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

I had to click on some of the other hewing videos and a almost disturbing seen arose, a fellow hewing with bare feet! I can say he was most efficient though.

Tim

That Japanese hewer w/ the bare feet is hard to watch! He could loose a toe (or all of them) and not even realize it. But it must be a neat sensation to "feel the log" through the soles of your feet as you hew...

Here's what Mr. Beaudry wears on his feet:

As well as Tim, Gabel also tried the Tee axe. any comments Gabel? (If I'm allowed to post the video of Jack, you'll see Gabel using the Tee axe).

I'll try to get Mike Beaudry to join us and comment on the t-axe further. He said he visits the forum once in a blue moon.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19359 04/22/09 08:57 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

The log is dirty and there appears to be a stone chip embed in it. This is how to ruin an axe.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19360 04/22/09 10:27 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Ken --that's a good point. To all of us who were there, it was immediately apparent that Mr. Beaudry had his hands full demonstrating with the log that was provided. (No offense meant to Dan who in the midst of organizing the conference found a free log for Mike to hew).

As for my impressions of the T axe -- I would love to have one (but I am a bit of an axe collector). Gransfor's replica is extremely well made and nice to use. It is super light weight. I think it would be easy to leave a nice finish with it by making a final pass. It would not be my main axe, but something fun to pick up occasionally.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19361 04/22/09 11:49 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
Very cool. Thanks for sharing those OB1. That log sure looked like a beast to learn on.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Dave Shepard] #19362 04/23/09 12:08 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
It was a bear, Dave. Or should I say an elephant.
It felt like trying to slay an elephant w/ a slingshot.

Watching that Japanese hewer again got me thinking: he's letting the axe do the work. You always hear "let the saw do the work..." Well, he's letting the axe just fall into the log...just guiding it. He also had a nice long handled axe.

At TTRAG, I, on the other hand, was beating that poor log senseless; it took bites out of me too!

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19363 04/23/09 12:28 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I've learned that there is an art to swinging things. It's important for a couple of reasons. When forging iron, there is no point in driving the hammer into the iron as hard as you can, you will just get hurt. Put some force into the swing, then just guide the hammer home. Hewing, as taught to me by Jack Sobon, is much the same. I haven't hung my smaller broad axe head yet. I tried hewing with a coopers broad axe, but it is too light, and not shaped properly. I tried several different axes at the workshop, and I found the one I liked the most was 7". I turns out that I had 7" and 9" broad axe heads in my shed. I've got a 40' plate to hew out for my barn repair project, so I need to start practicing. smile

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: ] #19367 04/23/09 11:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
While chatting, in line for lunch, with J. Sobon I learned a number of things which I am keeping in mind as I survey old barns. Another tidbit of info I picked up on was Jack is contemplating e-mail, he is realizing he is missing out with the speed at which things are progressing and feels he will need to keep up to stay sharp with the rest of the world. Where will this lead? Asked if he would use CAD to draw with, "Definitely not, I can draw faster with pencil and paper".

I would have cleaned the log before the axe work. As I looked and handled Mike's axes I noticed they were not recently sharpened and the one which had been used for juggling was too dull to hew with. I am not nit picking at Mike, it would be my understanding that a number of the axes presented were not used on a regular basis and the ones used regularly simply needed a quick touch up, as any working tool requires. With peace and quiet I am sure Mike will be tuning his axe as needed.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19368 04/23/09 11:55 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Tim,

I noticed the same thing and realized I was doing what I hate for others to do to me -- feeling my edge on a busy day.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19372 04/23/09 02:43 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

Another tidbit of info I picked up on was Jack is contemplating e-mail, he is realizing he is missing out with the speed at which things are progressing and feels he will need to keep up to stay sharp with the rest of the world.

Tim

That's interesting. Perhaps even a natural progression, albeit a slow one for Jack, I guess.

One would think he's almost embarrassed when asked by his peers how they might share info w/ him. The phone and U.S. Mail are not really what professionals are using today.

I raise my glass at the prospect of "jack@timbermaster.com"

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users