Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19373 04/23/09 02:54 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone who attended the event have pics of the barn and blockhouse to share?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19375 04/23/09 07:34 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
You know I haven't even emptied my camera yet. I have some of the barn I think.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19396 04/26/09 12:17 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
While chatting, in line for lunch, with J. Sobon I learned a number of things which I am keeping in mind as I survey old barns.

Tim

Willing to divulge any of that??

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19397 04/26/09 01:00 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

This is a great thread with great feedback of the TTRAG event.

Early in this discussion about the use of pictures and video shot by others, I would like to add my comment:

I demonstrated for many years the traditional hewing of timber to many hundreds of thousands of tourists and students from one end of this country to another, and I never questioned what or where my image ended up. It was though improper for my employer to use my image to sell a product like a post card without my authorization and consent.

Having said that I do not believe that a casual video shot by an interested party warrants scruitiny, yet also having said that I also know that the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful.

Those are great shots of axes and The hewing video is great.

I used a scoring axe that had a fairly long (hand made) handle which would reach below my feet as I bent slightly. This of course would depend on the size of the log that needed to be hewn. I sympathize with I believe Our barns who said about the type of log because I have visited and hewn at events where the logs were donated and they were usually monsters to work with!!!.

I personally never met Jack Sobon and maybe never will, I would like sometime to just spend some time chattng with him over a cup of tea and compare notes.

Anyway this is a great topic and one that runs close to my heart.

If anyone has any questions feel free to fire away

NH

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: northern hewer] #19400 04/26/09 10:44 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Don, really nothing new more confirmation of things, reminders of what to look for. On a previous thread, I started, on square rule questions and the different possibility of the approach to square rule, gains, reductions, housings, and how they were done. I am still working on it, I just need the right building, one that is coming apart to find the lack of marriage marks. This may lead me to change, in a slight way, how I cut my joints. I am always looking for accurate short cuts.

I also wanted to comment on the other speakers at TTRAG, I enjoyed them all. The fellow from Canada and his summation of the settling of Eastern Canada had a particular interest to my area of the world. Although we are separated by a present day boundary does not mean that was the way it always was. The French and Indian Wars or 100 Year Wars destroyed a lot of history while creating it at the same time. The bit of information on dikes and the French Acadians use of them, for agricultural use struck home for there are dikes built here and all along the Maine coast in the tidal rivers. He had commented that they were exclusive to Nova Scotia, well they actually are present here in Machias and in Scarborough, just south of Portland, it was settlers from Scarborough that settled Machias. These settlers were the folks replacing the displacement of the Acadians in the mid 1700s. It was not a virgin settlement. Jack commented he wanted to hear more about the barns, the speaker was more of a historian than barnoligst and he ran out of time.

Tim

Last edited by TIMBEAL; 04/26/09 10:47 AM.
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: northern hewer] #19403 04/26/09 09:18 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi everyone tonight:

I demonstrated for many years the traditional hewing of timber to many hundreds of thousands of tourists and students from one end of this country to another, and I never questioned what or where my image ended up. It was though improper for my employer to use my image to sell a product like a post card without my authorization and consent.

Having said that I do not believe that a casual video shot by an interested party warrants scruitiny, yet also having said that I also know that the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful.

NH

Thanks for the comments, NH.

Regarding the request to post the video, I haven't heard jack from Jack.

I was thinking about it the other day...he probably had only an inkling of what I was saying on that voice mail. I mean he may have no idea what youtube even is. He could have thought I was drunk, slurring my words. He either dismissed my message as that of a crazy man, or he's simply too busy to respond.

What I have is a 6-minute clip of him, Gabel, Mike Beaudry and a handfull of other attendees simply shooting the bull on hewing. I like it b/c it's informal and shows Jack in a relaxed "time off" mode. He's just commenting (with his hand in his pockets at times) and sharing recollections of his own hewing history. He picked up the Tee axe, gave it a look-see and commented. Gabel is shown hewing w/ that axe a bit, too.

I guess I asked Jack whether he objected to my posting the video b/c he is a celebrity in the TF world and I want to show some respect-- especially given the seemingly reclusive profile he has w/in TFG.

I'm sure he saw me "filming." I was just feet from him holding my camera kind of low.

Funny how one can publish a book and want that promoted, but pictures and video can be another matter. Most likely b/c books are edited by those involved in the process.

At any rate, I never wanted to profit from that video, just share it w/ our community as many of us respect and are curious about this man they call Jack. But as NH also pointed out, the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful...

Perhaps I should write him a letter w/ a copy of that video enclosed and explain, if I can, what youtube is.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19407 04/27/09 06:29 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

A letter plus CD / DVD would be polite and most folks would welcome a surprise thud on the doormat.

Will Beemer lives close by to Jack and calls around to see Jack often so an email to him might do the trick.

My appetite is now well and trult whetted.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19409 04/27/09 02:38 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Will B. is a good avenue to pursue. Someone must know him well enough to convey this request.

Though I'm prepared to get a "thumbs down," this might just be a step toward getting Jack to join us on the forum once and a while.

Maybe.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19410 04/27/09 02:48 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

I also wanted to comment on the other speakers at TTRAG,...The bit of information on dikes and the French Acadians use of them, for agricultural use struck home for there are dikes built here and all along the Maine coast in the tidal rivers. He had commented that they were exclusive to Nova Scotia, well they actually are present here in Machias and in Scarborough, just south of Portland, it was settlers from Scarborough that settled Machias.

Tim

Tim,

That's neat. I was in Scarborough this weekend and remember driving by "Tide Mill Lane" near the Scarborough Marsh. There were also tidal mills (saw mills) in the town of Phippsburg, near Bath Iron Works.

I really enjoyed the film we saw: "The Heart of the Farm." I bought a copy of that. It was amazing to see the old barn raising footage with the men sitting on bents, riding them as they rose, pushed by pike poles. That must have been quite a sensation.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19411 04/27/09 07:00 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
If someone knew the "reason" why they rode those bents as they went up, it would be nice to share with us, who don't.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users