Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
TTRAG '09 #19313 04/20/09 08:54 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a few pics and video clips to share from the recent TTRAG conf. in York, Maine. Will get them up soon. Others must have some to post as well.

It was a great conference: I worked up a sweat hewing, AND sat on my butt listening to a diverse group of speakers... even got to meet the venerable Jack-- even shook his hand (I didn't wash my hand for many, many hours!)

As far as "virtual before actual," it was pretty refreshing to actually experience being a member of the TFG !!

I do have a question to pose: some video includes our most venerable, Mr. Sobon, talking over a log w/ other attendees about the finer points of hewing. A neat exchange. But I don't want to offend Jack. I guess I'm wondering if he would object to that getting put up on youtube.

Anyone who knows him care to advise?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19314 04/20/09 09:44 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Don,

I'd just give him a call at his office number, it's in the directory. I'd certainly like to see some of your videos.

Brad

Last edited by timberwrestler; 04/20/09 09:45 PM.
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: timberwrestler] #19317 04/21/09 07:02 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I think that it might prove diplomatic to simply send him a copy of the video to play on his computer so that he can see what you are proposing. Keep in mind that he makes his living providing classes and if your video is well made then this could just make Jack obsolete.

I recently attended a wedding reception and noted that there were a number of people aiming digital video recorders at our family group and this felt a bit like being under surveilance by the Stazi - not nice !

Now that you are a fully paid up member of the TFG please note under the TTRAG web pages that "The archive will be open to all Guild members for their study purposes. Not only will it be a record of historic structures, but it will aid in the advancement of the crafts practiced today." I hope that you can share with us whether this actually works in practice.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 07:14 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19318 04/21/09 11:35 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I had the opportunity, once I hope, to work in a house with a camera monitoring system, very awkward. Now with modern technology advancing rapidly it is more common for such thing to happen, especially in open public demonstrations such as the hewing demo. I wonder, legally, if there is any way to protect ones self from unwanted use of such a video? Or, if when speaking to someone in a particular environment, so be it. What about the demonstrator, Mike Beaudry? Does he have any say in the issue?

I did like the light medieval T-axe Mike had on display and use/trial.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19319 04/21/09 12:00 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Tim,

Its worth taking a look at the Bayeaux tapestry where you will see embroidered illustrations of tee hewing axes in use by the Normans as they prepared planks for their invasion ships. One has to take care about interpretation of such historic artefacts because they reckon that this tapestry was actually put together by the English (its their story after all) and so they would have used images about which they were familiar and therefore these illustrations might not necessarily have been Norman axe illustrations but more English axes. There is one in Winchester city museum. Do you have a digi pic of Mike's Tee axe ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 12:01 PM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19331 04/21/09 02:47 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline

I'll try to reach Jack about posting the video. As Tim pointed out, Jack did not lead the demonstration...my suggestion that Jack was going over the finer points of hewing may be exaggerated. He didn't actually hew anything. But he did have some neat recollections and suggestions, etc. And he was a bit miffed by the medieval "t-axe."

Here are some pics of Mike Beaudry's axes.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19335 04/21/09 04:46 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

The Tee Axe looks the part as per the Bayeux Tapestry.

Jack was once asked - "What is the best way to hew" the answer came back - "Pay someone else 10 bucks an hour to do it for you"

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/21/09 04:49 PM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19344 04/21/09 11:52 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ken:

Nice tapestry. That's the axe for sure. Here's a link to it... It's quite pricey:
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=5507

I left Jack a voice mail today and am waiting for a reply. Meanwhile, Mike Beaudry has given the "all clear" for me to post these clips where he instructs me in the art of hewing.

This log was huge; not something to learn on really. I can sympathize w/ paying someone else to hew! I got bloody knuckles...

part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xhVTyG6u1E

part two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9pF5tmcWc

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19345 04/22/09 12:48 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
When the axe price goes over $600 I draw the line. Maybe I will have to try to make one.

I had to click on some of the other hewing videos and a almost disturbing seen arose, a fellow hewing with bare feet! I can say he was most efficient though.

Don the handle on the scoring axe was short for the job. The one I use, I can stand up right and still reach the bottom of the log. You did well.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19350 04/22/09 08:11 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

Its interesting that the Tee axe was made by Gransfors and that they based their version on an early 11th century Danish shipbuilding axe. That means that this shape of axe was in use in England / France / Denmark at the same time and thus it is very likely that this was a long established and widely used pattern. Can someone with experience using this axe give us their impressions please.

Don I agree with Tim that the scoring axe was far too short for you. The log is very big and really way beyond the optimal size for hewing and especially the resultant log face was very deep. To reduce wastage it would have been much better to square a log like this using hewing and then halve it by sawing. History is revealing that timbers employed in early buildings were generally small and fit for purpose (just) and thus the amount of wood being removed was fairly minimal.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 04/22/09 08:13 AM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19351 04/22/09 10:30 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
We talked about the size of the log while helping Mike set up, and ended up with the same results you did, Ken. The fellow doing the hewing should be selecting the logs needed and the resulting size would be "just right". The log was not selected by the hewer, he had to work with it though.

I only pealed off a couple of feet and found the T-axe to be rather light, which I liked, it is used with the blade parallel to the log not angled, with other axes I find you have some freedom of angle, this one liked to be parallel. I would use it to clean up the last 1/4" of thickness for its light weight would prevent heavy wood removal. Mike jokingly commented it would be his axe he will use in his retirement years, it is not one of his primary axes. That is my limited impression, about 2', but enough to make me want to try it a lot more. It is a single bevel axe.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19355 04/22/09 02:23 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

I had to click on some of the other hewing videos and a almost disturbing seen arose, a fellow hewing with bare feet! I can say he was most efficient though.

Tim

That Japanese hewer w/ the bare feet is hard to watch! He could loose a toe (or all of them) and not even realize it. But it must be a neat sensation to "feel the log" through the soles of your feet as you hew...

Here's what Mr. Beaudry wears on his feet:

As well as Tim, Gabel also tried the Tee axe. any comments Gabel? (If I'm allowed to post the video of Jack, you'll see Gabel using the Tee axe).

I'll try to get Mike Beaudry to join us and comment on the t-axe further. He said he visits the forum once in a blue moon.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19359 04/22/09 08:57 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

The log is dirty and there appears to be a stone chip embed in it. This is how to ruin an axe.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19360 04/22/09 10:27 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Ken --that's a good point. To all of us who were there, it was immediately apparent that Mr. Beaudry had his hands full demonstrating with the log that was provided. (No offense meant to Dan who in the midst of organizing the conference found a free log for Mike to hew).

As for my impressions of the T axe -- I would love to have one (but I am a bit of an axe collector). Gransfor's replica is extremely well made and nice to use. It is super light weight. I think it would be easy to leave a nice finish with it by making a final pass. It would not be my main axe, but something fun to pick up occasionally.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19361 04/22/09 11:49 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
Very cool. Thanks for sharing those OB1. That log sure looked like a beast to learn on.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Dave Shepard] #19362 04/23/09 12:08 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
It was a bear, Dave. Or should I say an elephant.
It felt like trying to slay an elephant w/ a slingshot.

Watching that Japanese hewer again got me thinking: he's letting the axe do the work. You always hear "let the saw do the work..." Well, he's letting the axe just fall into the log...just guiding it. He also had a nice long handled axe.

At TTRAG, I, on the other hand, was beating that poor log senseless; it took bites out of me too!

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19363 04/23/09 12:28 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I've learned that there is an art to swinging things. It's important for a couple of reasons. When forging iron, there is no point in driving the hammer into the iron as hard as you can, you will just get hurt. Put some force into the swing, then just guide the hammer home. Hewing, as taught to me by Jack Sobon, is much the same. I haven't hung my smaller broad axe head yet. I tried hewing with a coopers broad axe, but it is too light, and not shaped properly. I tried several different axes at the workshop, and I found the one I liked the most was 7". I turns out that I had 7" and 9" broad axe heads in my shed. I've got a 40' plate to hew out for my barn repair project, so I need to start practicing. smile

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: ] #19367 04/23/09 11:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
While chatting, in line for lunch, with J. Sobon I learned a number of things which I am keeping in mind as I survey old barns. Another tidbit of info I picked up on was Jack is contemplating e-mail, he is realizing he is missing out with the speed at which things are progressing and feels he will need to keep up to stay sharp with the rest of the world. Where will this lead? Asked if he would use CAD to draw with, "Definitely not, I can draw faster with pencil and paper".

I would have cleaned the log before the axe work. As I looked and handled Mike's axes I noticed they were not recently sharpened and the one which had been used for juggling was too dull to hew with. I am not nit picking at Mike, it would be my understanding that a number of the axes presented were not used on a regular basis and the ones used regularly simply needed a quick touch up, as any working tool requires. With peace and quiet I am sure Mike will be tuning his axe as needed.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19368 04/23/09 11:55 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Tim,

I noticed the same thing and realized I was doing what I hate for others to do to me -- feeling my edge on a busy day.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19372 04/23/09 02:43 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline

Another tidbit of info I picked up on was Jack is contemplating e-mail, he is realizing he is missing out with the speed at which things are progressing and feels he will need to keep up to stay sharp with the rest of the world.

Tim

That's interesting. Perhaps even a natural progression, albeit a slow one for Jack, I guess.

One would think he's almost embarrassed when asked by his peers how they might share info w/ him. The phone and U.S. Mail are not really what professionals are using today.

I raise my glass at the prospect of "jack@timbermaster.com"

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19373 04/23/09 02:54 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone who attended the event have pics of the barn and blockhouse to share?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19375 04/23/09 07:34 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
You know I haven't even emptied my camera yet. I have some of the barn I think.....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19396 04/26/09 12:17 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
While chatting, in line for lunch, with J. Sobon I learned a number of things which I am keeping in mind as I survey old barns.

Tim

Willing to divulge any of that??

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19397 04/26/09 01:00 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

This is a great thread with great feedback of the TTRAG event.

Early in this discussion about the use of pictures and video shot by others, I would like to add my comment:

I demonstrated for many years the traditional hewing of timber to many hundreds of thousands of tourists and students from one end of this country to another, and I never questioned what or where my image ended up. It was though improper for my employer to use my image to sell a product like a post card without my authorization and consent.

Having said that I do not believe that a casual video shot by an interested party warrants scruitiny, yet also having said that I also know that the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful.

Those are great shots of axes and The hewing video is great.

I used a scoring axe that had a fairly long (hand made) handle which would reach below my feet as I bent slightly. This of course would depend on the size of the log that needed to be hewn. I sympathize with I believe Our barns who said about the type of log because I have visited and hewn at events where the logs were donated and they were usually monsters to work with!!!.

I personally never met Jack Sobon and maybe never will, I would like sometime to just spend some time chattng with him over a cup of tea and compare notes.

Anyway this is a great topic and one that runs close to my heart.

If anyone has any questions feel free to fire away

NH

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: northern hewer] #19400 04/26/09 10:44 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Don, really nothing new more confirmation of things, reminders of what to look for. On a previous thread, I started, on square rule questions and the different possibility of the approach to square rule, gains, reductions, housings, and how they were done. I am still working on it, I just need the right building, one that is coming apart to find the lack of marriage marks. This may lead me to change, in a slight way, how I cut my joints. I am always looking for accurate short cuts.

I also wanted to comment on the other speakers at TTRAG, I enjoyed them all. The fellow from Canada and his summation of the settling of Eastern Canada had a particular interest to my area of the world. Although we are separated by a present day boundary does not mean that was the way it always was. The French and Indian Wars or 100 Year Wars destroyed a lot of history while creating it at the same time. The bit of information on dikes and the French Acadians use of them, for agricultural use struck home for there are dikes built here and all along the Maine coast in the tidal rivers. He had commented that they were exclusive to Nova Scotia, well they actually are present here in Machias and in Scarborough, just south of Portland, it was settlers from Scarborough that settled Machias. These settlers were the folks replacing the displacement of the Acadians in the mid 1700s. It was not a virgin settlement. Jack commented he wanted to hear more about the barns, the speaker was more of a historian than barnoligst and he ran out of time.

Tim

Last edited by TIMBEAL; 04/26/09 10:47 AM.
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: northern hewer] #19403 04/26/09 09:18 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: northern hewer
Hi everyone tonight:

I demonstrated for many years the traditional hewing of timber to many hundreds of thousands of tourists and students from one end of this country to another, and I never questioned what or where my image ended up. It was though improper for my employer to use my image to sell a product like a post card without my authorization and consent.

Having said that I do not believe that a casual video shot by an interested party warrants scruitiny, yet also having said that I also know that the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful.

NH

Thanks for the comments, NH.

Regarding the request to post the video, I haven't heard jack from Jack.

I was thinking about it the other day...he probably had only an inkling of what I was saying on that voice mail. I mean he may have no idea what youtube even is. He could have thought I was drunk, slurring my words. He either dismissed my message as that of a crazy man, or he's simply too busy to respond.

What I have is a 6-minute clip of him, Gabel, Mike Beaudry and a handfull of other attendees simply shooting the bull on hewing. I like it b/c it's informal and shows Jack in a relaxed "time off" mode. He's just commenting (with his hand in his pockets at times) and sharing recollections of his own hewing history. He picked up the Tee axe, gave it a look-see and commented. Gabel is shown hewing w/ that axe a bit, too.

I guess I asked Jack whether he objected to my posting the video b/c he is a celebrity in the TF world and I want to show some respect-- especially given the seemingly reclusive profile he has w/in TFG.

I'm sure he saw me "filming." I was just feet from him holding my camera kind of low.

Funny how one can publish a book and want that promoted, but pictures and video can be another matter. Most likely b/c books are edited by those involved in the process.

At any rate, I never wanted to profit from that video, just share it w/ our community as many of us respect and are curious about this man they call Jack. But as NH also pointed out, the world is changing rapidly and one has to be careful...

Perhaps I should write him a letter w/ a copy of that video enclosed and explain, if I can, what youtube is.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19407 04/27/09 06:29 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

A letter plus CD / DVD would be polite and most folks would welcome a surprise thud on the doormat.

Will Beemer lives close by to Jack and calls around to see Jack often so an email to him might do the trick.

My appetite is now well and trult whetted.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19409 04/27/09 02:38 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Will B. is a good avenue to pursue. Someone must know him well enough to convey this request.

Though I'm prepared to get a "thumbs down," this might just be a step toward getting Jack to join us on the forum once and a while.

Maybe.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19410 04/27/09 02:48 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline

I also wanted to comment on the other speakers at TTRAG,...The bit of information on dikes and the French Acadians use of them, for agricultural use struck home for there are dikes built here and all along the Maine coast in the tidal rivers. He had commented that they were exclusive to Nova Scotia, well they actually are present here in Machias and in Scarborough, just south of Portland, it was settlers from Scarborough that settled Machias.

Tim

Tim,

That's neat. I was in Scarborough this weekend and remember driving by "Tide Mill Lane" near the Scarborough Marsh. There were also tidal mills (saw mills) in the town of Phippsburg, near Bath Iron Works.

I really enjoyed the film we saw: "The Heart of the Farm." I bought a copy of that. It was amazing to see the old barn raising footage with the men sitting on bents, riding them as they rose, pushed by pike poles. That must have been quite a sensation.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19411 04/27/09 07:00 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
If someone knew the "reason" why they rode those bents as they went up, it would be nice to share with us, who don't.....

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19412 04/27/09 07:14 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
I finally got my camera emptied. I didn't have that many shots.
I only took a couple from inside the barn.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19413 04/27/09 07:15 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
And here is another of the post top:

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19414 04/27/09 07:16 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
And someone asked if this was an original part of the structure:

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19415 04/27/09 07:19 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Personally what was interesting to me was that this little baby's chair was made by my father's furniture company back in the 60's or 70's:

I'm talking about the little green one between the bench and the barrel....

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19417 04/27/09 08:17 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Jim Rogers
If someone knew the "reason" why they rode those bents as they went up, it would be nice to share with us, who don't.....

Jim --

I imagine they rode the bents because it was easier and faster than shimmying up a post. They had to connect several girts before the bent would stand there on its own, so they rode up it in place in order to be in position to make the connections, rather than bothering with ladders or scaffolding or any of that sissy stuff. wink

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19418 04/28/09 12:14 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Back in the day they didn't go down hill skiing, para sailing or even bungee jumping so they rode bents into the sky and broke green horses for the needed adrenaline fix.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19419 04/28/09 12:41 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
maybe bent riding would be a nice addition at a Guild conference:

Following the morning break:

-axe throwing
-trebuchet
-bent riding

must have been what those mysterious pegs were for in that wall plate in the film: hang-on handles!

he was a fine old framer,
drove no peg before its time.
they say he ascended to heaven
on a fifty-foot bent.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19435 04/29/09 11:38 PM
Dave Shepard Offline
Don, I talked to Jack today, send him a copy of the video you want to post so he can review it. If you need his contact info, I will PM it to you.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Dave Shepard] #19438 04/30/09 12:49 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Dave, interesting synchronicity. I decided to mail him a copy today...was at the post office this afternoon. Jack should have it tomorrow or friday, latest.

Thanks for the legwork. Did Jack mention he'd received my voice mail?

I also took Ken's advice and emailed Will Beemer about asking Jack, etc.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19500 05/05/09 04:02 PM
Will Truax Offline

Glad to hear TTRAG was a success, wish I hadn’t had to miss it.

Been off the board for awhile but thought I’d weigh in on the Tee Ax as I had a chance to play with one at the Clumps event. I liked it enough that I found myself hankering for one, though I have yet to fulfill that desire.

Despite an immediate liking for it, It was, like all Gränsfors axes, a little light for me. I prefer to spend my energy lifting an ax, then letting its own heft carry it though the slice, rather than having to power it down through the cut.

That aside, I found it a exceptionally controllable ax and one I would use regularly.

http://www.northmoortrust.co.uk/home/events/timber-framing/saturday-16th-july

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: Will Truax] #19503 05/05/09 07:08 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi,

To quote Richard Harris - "Where there's a doormat there's usually a door".

The Bayeux tapestry is that doormat and it might well be that what we are seeing being hewed with a tee axe are planks and not beams i.e. this axe is being used as a finishing axe rather than a wood removal tool.

Will, you have the experience of using one of these axes - does this make any sense ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19504 05/05/09 10:10 PM
Will Truax Offline

Ken, interestingly in the booklet Gränsfors puts out titled Ancient Northern European Axes

http://www.gransfors.us/AncientAxeBook.pdf

It pictures and refers to the Bayeux Tapestry, and under their own description of this ax they characterize its use as that of smoothing planks for house and boat construction.

What you ask does make sense, especially for light axes, but I may not be the right hewer to ask, I remove ninety percent of waste with a heavy Jersey pattern felling Ax, and have always seen broad axes as finishing tools.

I only own one Gränsfors, a used single bevel that belonged to DEW another lefty. I had an abundance of axes by the time they came onto the scene.

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: Will Truax] #19508 05/06/09 01:40 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading the "Axe Book," it says the Bayeux Tapestry is approximately 70 meters in length (231 feet). Almost a football field.

Wow.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19509 05/06/09 05:48 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I went to see the Bayeux tapestry in Bayeux, France with Tom Musco a few years ago and this is displayed in a horse shoe shaped artificially lit glass case which is located inside a dimly lit room. The last 5 - 10 meters of this tapestry is now missing and is thought to have been deliberatlely cut off and destroyed because it was thought to contain scenes that did not please the Normans. It contains surprising scenes of pre battle naked encounters between soldiers and lusty wenches leaving little to the imagination and along with Piers the Ploughman is one of the few visual record sources of early medieval life (and death). Just incase Will missed it I did post a relevant extract from the tapestry on page 1 of this thread.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 05/06/09 05:50 AM.

Re: T-Ax @ TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19511 05/06/09 03:51 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
That's interesting Ken.
Axes and nudity, who'd have guessed grin

But seriously, the tapestry must be quite a sight. Glad you thought of it to further our discussion on the T-axe. Very interesting.

That T-axe is kind of a hybrid between an axe and a knife, like a machete. I wonder why it fell out of favor (into obscurity)? Most of us who have used and/or seen it like its design.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19512 05/06/09 04:03 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
All:

I received a call from Jack this morning. He has given the green light for this video clip to appear on YouTube.

Unfortunately, the resolution is poor on YouTube. My camera took very clear footage. If you'd like a copy, I can mail one for you to play at home on your DVD player. PM me for details.

Jack and Mike Beaudry discuss hewing:

Enjoy the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f4YPtMQ4js

* YouTube said the video is "still processing." Resolution should improve w/ time.

Last edited by OurBarns1; 05/06/09 04:07 PM. Reason: resolution comment

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19513 05/06/09 04:48 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Happy to report the resolution has much improved...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19514 05/06/09 05:31 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Nice footage, Don. Thanks.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19515 05/06/09 05:49 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I much enjoyed your video and noted with interest how most people including Jack made a bee line for the Tee axe. The guy who took a few swings at the log with the tee axe pulled a chunk out of the cheek so I don't think that this axe was as sharp as needed to put a fine finish on the log.

There is no doubt that this kind of video is both informative and instructive and a little bit of fun as well.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19517 05/06/09 08:08 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Ken, that was Gabel who was trying the tee axe.... he has posted in this thread.... Also seen in this video was Jim Derby who posts here as Housewright.
I'll have to watch closely again to see if Timbeal was there then or not....
He was there a lot but may have walked off to tour other nearby structures.... as part of our tour...

I was at my truck during that video....

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19518 05/06/09 08:46 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Jim, I was not actually there, but have since been there virtually. I was out touring.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19519 05/06/09 08:52 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Tim, it must be raining hard up there in Maine for you to be online at this time of day......

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19520 05/06/09 09:14 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Don,

I much enjoyed your video and noted with interest how most people including Jack made a bee line for the Tee axe.

Regards

Ken Hume

Hi Ken:

Yes, the Tee Axe was an oddity and drew many onlookers (including Gabel who wanted to try some hewing).

This interest is just what I was refering to back a couple posts about why this axe fell into obscurity. I mean if we're drawn to it and folks like Will T. and Gabel like using it, why did it "disappear?" Perhaps something replaced it (hand planes?) for smoothing planks, etc...

Anyway, glad we could all see the video at last. I should have listed those who appeared. I thought most everone knew who Gabel was from previous conferences, etc...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19521 05/06/09 09:48 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
My take on the T axe after using it is that is a smoothing tool -- to be used as much for planks and other scantlings as anything else. It's really cool, but not much use for the kind of hewing I do.

I still want one badly, though, as it is such a well made tool and I'm sure I can find a use for it...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19522 05/06/09 10:41 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
I want one.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Joel McCarty] #19527 05/07/09 06:25 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

Re Jack's observations about exact 18" separations on scoring marks this rang a bell inside me. A few years back when I was doing recording work in the Bishop's Camera roof at Farnham Castle I noted that the 6" wide x 5" deep rafters were set exactly on 18" centres. This means that there is a gap of only 12" between each rafter. I frequently have arguments with aspiring old building recorders about using feet and inches rather than metres and centimeters to measure and record old buildings. English Heritage insists on using metres but 2.4384 metres just doesn't mean as much to me as 8ft, nor can one derive much sense from it. But I digress, the rafters in the Camera roof were beautifully smooth and so I examined the surface finish in the somewhat dim light to try and establish whether this was a planed, hewn, adzed or sawn finish and I never did manage to arrive at a conclusion. Now the rafters on this roof have been dendro dated to about 1380 ( http://www.dbrg.org.uk/DENDRO/dendrolist4FC.html ) and I am now wondering if what I was seeing was a tee axe finish. We know for sure that this axe was around in 1066 and from other reports its use was widespread over Europe so as Don asks above when did its use expire and why ?

Anyone wanting to make a virtual tour of this roof can drop me an email and I will send them a naviagable *.mov file that permits full 360 degree (spherical) rotation and zoom in and out. I will also try and figure out how this can be posted on this forum for download (about 2.5mb).

Joel, how do I do this ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19529 05/07/09 07:07 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19530 05/07/09 10:24 AM
Will Truax Offline

Do you have to download Win Live ID ? I opened it in Miro and something ain't right.

As a sidenote - I thought it was bad enough that we built the NMT building in that base ten nonsense, but to record historical structures built in Imperial with it seems absurd.

One of the coolest things I've ever held in my hands was at Frame '02 when I saw you last, Mr Goodburn's pieces of Roman wharf constructions from deep in the mud of the Thames at Lundinium, chunks of joined timber two millennia old, with measureable 2" M&T's and 1" pegholes. Are they perhaps recorded in Mils somewhere in the dark halls of academia ?

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Will Truax] #19531 05/07/09 01:53 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
In theory, this Forum will now accept image attachments, including .mov files, up to a half megabyte in size.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Joel McCarty] #19534 05/07/09 02:22 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
That "Camera Roof" virtual tour is neat. It took some figuring in order to get it to "play," but after reading Ken's comment:

Shift key to zoom in, Control key to zoom out
Look around - Use your mouse to circle around the roof.

I was able to view the interior of the roof, which can make you dizzy!!

That rafter spacing is very tight; the building's a fortress of timber. Must have had a very strict (or paranoid) code enforcment officer back in the day!!

And feet and inches makes the most sense to me. But then again, I'm an American born and raised on the "foot and inch."

As an aside, that's great news about being able to upload small files here. Kudos to Joel, (bow).

.MOV files can be a bit problematic for non-Mac users. I'm guessing Will had a problem viewing Ken's link because of this. .MOV is a "Quicktime" or Apple-based format. Windows Media Player will not play these files b/c Windows and Apple are arch enemies.

.MOV files will open and play just fine on "RealPlayer" or "QuickTime" (both free to download from the web.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19535 05/07/09 02:36 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Far OUT!

What technology made that video, please?

This is something the TFG must master.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Joel McCarty] #19537 05/07/09 02:50 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Testing the new "File Manager"

Pics of the old jail, built 1719 and visited @ TTRAG '09 in York, ME.

Attached Files
11-101_0131.JPG (69.18 KB, 511 downloads)
12-101_0129.JPG (45.92 KB, 531 downloads)

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19538 05/07/09 02:52 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
"Becket, we have a problem..."

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19539 05/07/09 03:21 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
You've got that right, page not found.....

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Joel McCarty] #19542 05/07/09 04:12 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Originally Posted By: Joel McCarty
Far OUT!

What technology made that video, please?

This is something the TFG must master.

I want/need one too. Yes, we must master.

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19549 05/08/09 01:45 AM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Hi Don,

Re Jack's observations about exact 18" separations on scoring marks this rang a bell inside me. A few years back when I was doing recording work in the Bishop's Camera roof at Farnham Castle I noted that the 6" wide x 5" deep rafters were set exactly on 18" centres. Regards

Ken Hume

Ken, this is an aside, but in the video, Jack stated the juggles were 16" not 18" apart... "16 inches on-center" was his comment.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19552 05/08/09 06:55 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I am sorry - that mistake was a result of a case of early morning Stanley rule dyslexia. I should of course stated 16".

The Bishop's Camera roof rafter spacing is also 16" as well and very conveniently this works out at 3 x 16 = 48 i.e. 4 ft spacing every 3rd rafter. That means that the nominal space between the rafters is now only 10". A skinny man (not me) can climb through the gap between the collars and into the space above between the scissor braces - just!

I think that I have managed to get it right this time - I hope!

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 05/08/09 06:56 AM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19553 05/08/09 10:41 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I almost would bet the key figure is 48" and this is split into the 3 segments. Does this fit into the daisy wheel layout system? 12 is an important number now and much more so in the past, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 apostles, and the measuring system in base 12. When did the metric system come into wide use in Europe? We do have 10 fingers but that is too easy.

Gabel, can you shed some light on the daisy wheel and its relation, if any?

This could be a new topic.

Tim

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: TIMBEAL] #19555 05/08/09 12:01 PM
D
Don P Offline
D
My understanding of the 16" framing system is that the size of a brick was established by royal decree.(A roman "brick" took 2 men to handle, the English realized that a better way was to hold a smaller brick in one hand and a trowel in the other) Later it was decreed that a fireplace would be a minimum of 2 bricks wide. This made firewood typically 16" long. Owner builders having moved into their home's shell would while away the winter splitting and applying lath, the easiest source was the woodpile and so they studded accordingly. This came from David Lyle's "The Book of Masonry Stoves". It's the only place I've seen that story.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Don P] #19557 05/08/09 02:26 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Great little pearl of wisdom, Don.

I burn wood, get it delivered cut & split in standard 16" length, and never considered the origin of this dimension. Fascinating.

Tim, daisy wheel / base-12, etc, would be an excellent new topic. That upcoming geometry workshop w/ Laurie Smith has me drooling. The roots of it all...

Perhaps Gabel can advise, but as I understand it, won't any dimension fit in the daisy-wheel system provided you base your wheel on that particular length to start with? I mean, there's no set wheel diameter, correct? We can use the wheel whether it's a foot wide or 15 feet wide, yes?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19558 05/08/09 02:29 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
Moxon writes about brick work and that in certain places it was required to be two bricks wide.....

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Jim Rogers] #19561 05/08/09 02:47 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi All,

I think that you will find that Laurie will talk about proportions and not dimensions. What is interesting about the 16" centre to centre is that this is clearly a measured dimension that corresponds with todays unit of measure. The metric system of measurement was introduced in the UK in the late 60's early 70's but I think that this has been the standard way of measurement on mainland Europe for centuries. England had a bit of an aversion to the use of bricks after the Roman occupation and it wasn't until the late 1500's / early 1600's that building with brick really took off. Prior to this it would more likely have been stone or wattle & daub with no fireplaces so the 2 bricks wide fireplace theory is liable to flounder. In any event fuel wood was brought home in bundles [faggots] and this was more like brushwood (lop & top) than split logs.

Regards

Ken Hume

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19565 05/08/09 09:36 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Ken is right -- the daisy wheel and other geometric design schemes are independent of any unit of measure.

However, it is quite easy to add that "dimension" (pardon the pun) to the method by making the radius of the wheel in your design drawings a known division of the radius in the actual building layout.

eg, your building's real size may be based on using a radius of 12 feet to draw the daisy wheel. If you make your drawings with a radius of 1 foot, you would have scale drawings -- 12 to 1 scale. Of course any scale can be used. At that point any dimension can be scaled off your drawings by setting the dividers to the two points in the drawing and stepping off 12 times.

You can certainly build using geometrical systems without using any standard unit of measure -- you can just draw it out using any arbitrary setting and say that the building will be 10 times this big and set your dividers and step off 10 times and make your own story pole or "rod". then use that rod to swing the arcs to lay it out full size on the ground, etc.

But more commonly, I would think, the builder was working with a commonly held unit of measurement in order to communicate with clients, suppliers, and tradesmen. My understanding is that the rod was a commonly used standard measurement for building.

Perhaps Ken can speak to that?

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Gabel] #19570 05/09/09 07:05 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Gabel,

There is something in your hypothesis. Most old timber framed buildings and especially cottages that I check out are about 16 - 18 ft wide. The room that I am sitting in right now is 16.5ft wide [of/of] and this is the old medieval measurement called the rod, pole or perch. Heresay has it that this is the length of the shaft between 2 oxen and that this shaft was used to measure and buck trees in the woodland.

The answer to this question must lie in fact based observations and thus a quantitative survey of building widths would establish whether or not a standard unit of building width measurement was employed. Though I have not done this study I have examined records for about 1500 buildings and found that there is a statistical distribution curve of building widths and therefore this would appear to rule out the concept of standard measurements being employed so what then could drive the establishment of building layout dimensions? The answer might lie with the trees themselves in that in most buildings the longest timbers are the tie beams, cross beams and cross sills. Wall plates, girding rails, purlins and long sills are generally composites i.e. scarfed and so do not require the longest timbers. Thus it might make sense for the builder to examine the logs to hand and then optimise building width based on the mix and then as Gabel suggests simply use a string and pegs to layout the footprint of the building. The one place where this practice might be more constrained is when building in a town on a medieval burgage plot of fixed dimensions. I have checked out the design of a building in Farnham, Surrey with Laurie and we found that it was laid out and cross frames spaced using overlapping circles i.e. string & peg.

From experience in my own woodland I know that I can easily prune most trees with the aid of an extending pole saw to about 16 ft. By the time the pole is extended to the range 18 - 22 ft it becomes much more difficult to clean the trunk becuase the pole becomes more vertical and the amount of bend or whip in the pole begins to make sawing difficult and the saw becomes trapped in the kerf as branches droop before they fall. In medieval times commoners were free to take branch wood for faggots (by hook or by crook) from woodlands and probably most landowners would have encouraged this practice since it would have provided them with good clean standing trees thus woodland management practice might play a larger part in building layout than we might currently credit today especially since most people tend to be well divorced from the origins of timber (Home Depot).

This might prove to be an interesting dissertation topic for a bright student to pursue.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 05/09/09 07:15 AM.

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19573 05/09/09 01:38 PM
OurBarns1 Offline OP
OP Offline
As the originator of this TTRAG thread, I suggest that all Daisy Wheel and related posts dealing w/ proportions be entered here where Tim Beal has already begun a thread:

http://www.tfguild.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=19562#Post19562

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: OurBarns1] #19578 05/09/09 04:05 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Dear Moderator,

Can you please action the previous request.

Regards

Ken Hume

Re: TTRAG '09 [Re: Ken Hume] #19587 05/10/09 10:49 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Quick, before the other topic wonders astray. Who knows where something may lead, larger bellies obscuring the perspective.

Tim

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users