Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hand Tools #194 05/14/02 03:48 PM
A
Aromas Califas Man Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello All!

I'm a novice looking for hand tools. I am especially interested in locating hand powered drills capable of boring holes through timbers (rail road ties, as an example). The drill should be capable of being set up to bore a series of holes (one at a time) at a set angle while limiting the bits travel.

Of course I’m also interested in information on making my own tools (i.e. chisels, planes, ax heads).

So, any one know where tools of these sorts may be found? Since I do not own a credit card, and do not care to, I’m looking for a supplier here in California.

Thanks
Aromas Califas Man

Re: Hand Tools #195 05/24/02 01:20 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hello Aromas:

I just noticed your post about purchasing what seems to be a hand powered boring machine that can be set for angles, and with bits. There were quite a few of these around at one time but they are getting scarcer all the time, and one in good working order is pretty rare. I know of one here in Ontario Canada, which is quite a way away from where you are, but the money exchange is good, and may be worth your while looking into. email me if you are interested at Richard.casselman@sympatico.ca for more conversation.
As far as making your own axes, chisels, and planes, I would say that this is quite a tall order, but then again maybe I don't know your background. To manufacture these tools you would need specialized knowledge of the Blacksmithing and Cabinetmaking profession. On top of that you would need access to special steel to work with and of course hard wood stock for the plane body, but then again nothing is impossible--I have had traditional planes custom produced for various purposes, and realize the work involved.
NH

Re: Hand Tools #196 05/24/02 12:34 PM
J
Jim Rogers Offline
J
A cal man:
You could see if your state has a blacksmith association. If they do, see if there is a blacksmith in your area, If so, make friends with him, fast. He'll be able to help you with the steel and iron work.
I got my boring machine from my blacksmith, as he had two.
Good luck, Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: Hand Tools #197 05/24/02 02:27 PM
daiku Offline
AMan:

I think what you're looking for is a boring machine. They show up fairly regulary on ebay. Here\'s one that's listed currently.

Good luck.

daiku

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users