Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 44 of 136 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: TIMBEAL] #19563 05/08/09 09:09 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I have some video footage of Will hewing as he describes while working with us a couple years back. Perhaps he wouldn't mind if I made it available for viewing?

I can affirm that he hews as he describes. And it is quite odd-looking until you get used to it. But you can't argue with his technique once you've seen his results...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Gabel] #19568 05/09/09 12:45 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello everyone tonight

Well thanks for clearing up Joel's message I guess I am just getting too old to see through the meaning of modern English language

The last part though he asked if I had any pictures of the handle--yes I do in fact it is the focus part of my handle carving video on the tool forum for anyone that is interested.

The handle is quite unusual and was part of the tool collection at UCV. I was given special permission at that time to photograph it for a presentation on timberframing,hewing, broadaxes and broadaxe handles along with other topics to a group of restoration and museum personnel from Russia, that was touring NA at that time. It seems that under the old regime they had lost some background information on restoration techniques and were doing catch up.

Anyway I have to shut down for the night due to bad thunderstorms going overhead so see you tomorrow

Maybe we could continue the conversation about this handle for those that are interested.

To those that just stop by each night maybe we could hear from some of you on this topic

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19571 05/09/09 11:17 AM
Will Truax Offline

NH - I know and have worked with one righty who hews mirror image opposite of the way I do. There's as many ways as there is skinless cats.

For me it just makes sense, I work to the right of everything, no matter what tool I am using, so the workpiece is convenient to my dominant hand. I can't fathom why anyone would do otherwise.

I have one Axe hung the opposite way, what I would call righty and you would call lefty. A Goosewing, paid more for it and use it less than any other ax. I use it when contrary grain demands I hew backwards.

Interestingly, as mentioned recently in another thread, I bought my only Gränsfors used from another lefty, when she bought it she ordered what the catalog described as a left handed Ax, she opened the box to find a wrong handed ax. They were good about exchanging it for what they see as right handed, and she and I see as left handed.

Gabel - Post away, unless my landing pad is too shiny or too much of my belly is falling over my belt.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Will Truax] #19582 05/10/09 12:28 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Thanks for getting back and explaining further your unusual hewing proceedure.

What you say makes sense in my books and I am looking forward to seeing alittle of that footage when Gabel is able to post it.

I realize there is many different ways to do everything, and no one way is the only way, I would say though that The majority of the left handed people hew as I explained above.

Over the years I have chatted with people that stood on top of the log and hewed alongside of their feet --they came from Sweden.

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19584 05/10/09 02:05 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Hello NH,

Speaking of different hewing styles like Sweden, perhaps you saw this clip when we were discussing hewing in the TTRAG '09 thread.

This Japanese fellow is a breed all his own. Shoes are optional:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueIB0h4SzHc

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: OurBarns1] #19603 05/11/09 02:14 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
i like his attitude towards trees (i also covet his scoring axe)

that's how we do it too, except more aggressively juggling to begin with (aggressive juggling- hehe). that japanese way though would mean less tear out behind knots- which that axeman is apparently quite careful about. (our shortcut is to chainsaw score the heck out of the knots.)

it's nice to have a bunch of axes, just because, and to change gears through the process.

here's something that's helped my back this year- warming up with a medicine ball. axe calisthenics- the new aerobics? get out your spandex boys and girls

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Will Truax] #19608 05/11/09 03:49 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
Originally Posted By: Will Truax

NH - I know and have worked with one righty who hews mirror image opposite of the way I do.

Hey Will, I hew this way too, I think we talked about this at TTRAG two years ago. I learned form Dave Dauerty at a Guild workshop. I got to try hewing with both right and left Gransfors Axes. It just felt more natural not to swing across my self in a compound arc but to keep it on one side of me. I had more control to hew this way and I could work longer before I had to take a break. I have found that I like wearing Motocross gloves with padded knuckles when hewing.
I got to work with Dave again last year and have some pictures of him face hewing a 48 ft. 10 x 16 Red Oak tie beam. Timber to his right and right hand forward. Gransfors Axe, Handle bent to the left.
[img][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/Edgeworks/DaveHewing1.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/Edgeworks/DaveHewing2.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r177/Edgeworks/DaveHewing3.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by Tom Cundiff; 05/11/09 03:51 PM.

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Tom Cundiff] #19613 05/12/09 12:46 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Well great pics Tom, and no mistake Dave is doing a great job on that lovely red oak working in the style that you describe.

This shot reminds me of the 45 foot white oak that we did as a replacement under the 1846 Muley Mill at UCV, and I can vouch that it was after the hewing was completed that I continued to build my respect for those who originaly hewed out all the timber for that structure including the 2--20 inch square by 30 foot white ash timbers that span over and under the muley blade guides.

You know as we chat about hewing styles it is a fact thatnot many people really know if they chop right or left. Many students that I taught over the years would present themselves and one of the first questions I would throw at them is "Are you right or left handed" They might reply right handed and then as I hand them an ordinary chopping axe I would ask them to grasp it like they were going to cut down a tree. A few of the righties would lead with teir left hand and a few of the lefties lefties would lead with their right hand.

They would be surprised to find out that eventho they maybe write right or left in fact they chop left and right or reverse.

I was just wondering in many of you guys are in this category?

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #19616 05/12/09 01:04 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
NH:

When I pick up an axe to chop something, my right hand is always higher up on the handle, always.

Does this make me a "right handed chopper?"
(I write left handed, actually).

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: OurBarns1] #19625 05/12/09 03:21 AM
Will Truax Offline

Tom --

It was David that I was speaking of, he and I have known and worked with each other off and on for fifteen years now, including teaming up to hew the ties for the Malabarn. But we both hewed the way we do before knowing each other. I think it's fair to say, while we might be a distinct minority, there is no way that we are a minority of just three counting yourself. And I feel confident in guessing that people who hewed in this manner in the past, were found in numbers.

NH --

I assure you I chop left handed, I'm as lefty as they come, I write, eat, swing a ball bat, and both golf and shoot as a lefty, there is no way that swinging an ax, something I do well and almost daily, is an exception to my almost hopeless lefthandedness. If I'm felling or limbing or scoring, my left hand is is my high hand. If we are two man scoring, I can and will and even want to switch sides of the notch, and so my high hand. I am capable of doing so, but never entirely comfortable in the doing.

To return to the gist of this conversation, why would I swing a broad ax any different than a felling ax ?

Don --

Don't know what it means, except it reenforces what we've been saying all through this thread. There is no right way, except for the way that each of us perceives that to be, as we try to determine what is both most comfortable and efficient for ourselves. There is no left way, any more than there is a wrong way.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Page 44 of 136 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users