Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Unique marriage mark? #19614 05/12/09 12:53 AM
H
harry Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I'm a new member seeking help identifying some marks we discovered on a vertical post on a circa 1800 barn attached to a 1651 historic register home in my town (Dwight-Derby house). There are a number of beams inside the barn with typical Roman numeral marriage marks, but these unique marks have us puzzled. The mark in question is a perfectly straight line with a perfect semicircle on top of it and at its midpoint, kind of like the "Kilroy" character looking over a wall, if you know what I mean. These lines are too perfect to have been chiseled. They seem to have been made by hitting some straight edged tool into the beam and then a half round chisel or gouge held at 90 degrees to make the semicircle. They are located where 2 beams join this post. This is mostly a scribe rule structure. Does anyone know what, if anything they mean? Their origin? Many of the beams, including the one with these marks appear to have been re-used in this barn from some other structure. This property is on the historic register and we would like to be able to state with some certainty what this mark means, as it will be on display. I tried to attach a picture, but couldn't figure out how to do so, short of creating a website or loading Mozilla. If you think you may know the answer but need to see a picture, please e-mail me and I'll send it to you. Thanks for your help!

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: harry] #19617 05/12/09 01:35 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Hi Harry, welcome. what you have sounds interesting.

A picture really would help in getting you some answers. Does the mark pass across (bridge) the joint, or does it appear on both timbers?

Pics are pretty straightforward to post here. Try these instructions: (you need to create an account at a free hosting site)

To post pics here via a free hosting site such as photobucket:

· Go to http://www.photobucket.com and create an account.
· In the "upload images & video" section, click "choose files" (640X480 is a good setting, anything bigger will have a negative affect on pages in this forum).
· Choose your picture.
· It will upload and you can title it if you want.
· Click "Return to album" (your picture is now on the photobucket site).
· You will be redirected to the uploaded photo; move the cursor over the picture.
· Click "direct link" then right-click "copy." (A link to the photo is now on your machine's clipboard.)
· Go back to the TFG forum site. Click "reply"
· On the top of the reply text window, click the icon third from left (next to the envelope).
· A small window will appear with "http://" highlighted
· Right-click in this window, select paste (which will insert a link to your picture from photobucket), click " OK."
· Select "preview post." You should be able to see the picture that will appear instead of just a web address. Just type text above or below the web address.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: OurBarns1] #19619 05/12/09 01:56 AM
H
harry Offline OP
OP Offline
H

Here's a photo of one of the 2 at this location on the beam.

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: OurBarns1] #19621 05/12/09 02:04 AM
H
harry Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi Don,
Thank you very much for the Photobucket info. I posted a photo. We have not yet removed the sheathing board on the wall adjacent to the post with the marks, so I don't yet know if these are truly marriage marks. However, this post has several other unused peg holes and mortises and I suspect it was previously used in another structure anyway. I SUSPECT that this mark was simply a different form of marriage mark, so that instead of the barn builder having to use umpteen Roman numerals to identify all joints, they simply made a mark like this. I just don't want to guess, because this barn is on an historic property and has tours, etc. If you're interested, you can Google "Dwight-Derby house".
Thanks again!

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: harry] #19623 05/12/09 02:53 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
Welcome to the Forum, harry. Where in Mass are you? I'm on the western border, along NY state. I am surveying a barn right now that has the same type of mark. It was made by a race knife. Some race knives have a leg that allows it to pivot and make a full or semi-circle. The barn I'm researching uses both semi, and full circles over a line, or two lines. From what I can see of this barn, the single line means it is the east post, and the double line means west. The second bent uses a single line, while the third uses two lines. I haven't been able to dig deep enough to see what other markings are used, as I have to pull some siding boards. I look forward to seeing more about this topic, as scribe markings are a point of interest for me.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: Dave Shepard] #19626 05/12/09 03:30 AM
Will Truax Offline

Looks like a typical 2' mark to me, where is it on the post ?

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: Will Truax] #19627 05/12/09 09:24 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Will, it looks to be at a brace and just below the brace a girt, this is visible just to the right. So the 2' mark could be a 3' or 4' mark which goes against the norm. A shared mortice of sorts, the brace is not housed and the girt is.

harry, more pictures?

Tim

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: Will Truax] #19630 05/12/09 12:14 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Originally Posted By: Will Truax

Looks like a typical 2' mark to me, where is it on the post ?

I agree -- looks like a two foot mark.

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: Dave Shepard] #19631 05/12/09 12:15 PM
H
harry Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hi Dave,
I'm in Medfield and so is the house/barn. A bit if trivia...way back when, Medfield got "crowded" so the town fathers sent forth settlers to find a new Medfield and some of them settled in Sturbridge, which was for years called New Medfiled. We have ties to Deerfiled as well. You can Google the Dwight-Derby house if you're interested. Its one of the oldest homes in the country, built in 1651. Original owner was shot by an arrow from King Phillip's native Americans when they attacked the town and burnt most of it down in 1676.
We think the barn was built around 1800, but we're not sure. We had a stack of old boards in the second floor of the barn that are pit-sawn, gang sawn, band sawn and circular sawn. Many of the posts and beams seem to have been re-used here as they have lots of now-unused mortises, etc. and Roman numerals on floor joists with none on the beams into which they tie.
Interestingly enough, the post with the unique mark is on the east corner, but its probably 4' from the top, so its not a 2 foot mark. We didn't see any double line marks on the west corner post. I'll take a closer look. We are only going to re-shingle the front and right sides of the barn so we're not tearing off other shingles and sheathing just to see if they have marks as well.
I found this site: http://www.dbrg.org.uk/Marks/Cmarks.pdf which shows this mark, but not as a standalone mark. This site is in England and Medfield is thought to have been named after Metfield England. Looks like builders didn't want to have Roman numerals reaching into the hundreds, so they sometimes added a mark like mine to one of the numerals to the I after a V to differentiate it from a plain old VI (6), thereby reducing the number of numerals. Makes sense, otherwise a barn frame would look like the credits on a movie where the date is MCMXXXVI!
Thanks for your reply.
Harry

Re: Unique marriage mark? [Re: Will Truax] #19632 05/12/09 12:18 PM
H
harry Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Its about 4 feet from the top of the post and at the intersection of the beam supporting the second floor and a diagonal brace (there are 2 of these marks, one near each beam).
See myreply to Dave above for other info I found on a British site.
Thanks,
Harry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users