Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Peg holes [Re: TIMBEAL] #20038 06/01/09 11:47 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Gosh darn it, has anyone seen the come alongs? Yea, on the shop floor, but we do have the bag of rope and some planks.

We have used them for minor clamps during raisings.

It could get you out of a bind. We should all try one, once in a while, it could be one more tool in the bag of tricks. Rope is easily adjustable to any length. I wouldn't be so quick to disregard old technology, otherwise, we would be building with steel posts and beams.

Tim

What kind of rope would you always have on hand? I'm curious as to what rope would work best.

And I'm not disregarding old technology - but assuming you remember to bring the come alongs to a raising - I think they are a superior choice for pulling bents and walls and small cars out of ditches, etc. (actually, tow trucks and all terrain fork lifts are better at pulling cars, but a come along has worked in a pinch)

But, show me some photos, some video - some something of how it is done, how easy it is, how simple to rig, how effective - and I'm game for adding to that pile of known unknowns that I'm becoming famous for.

That said - I've worked a raising with only 1 come along - all the joinery went together with the draw bore on the pegs. The come along and straps were used as a safety on the last bent that we had to raise from the edge of the deck. (everything was done by hand...)

Last edited by bmike; 06/01/09 11:50 AM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Peg holes [Re: bmike] #20043 06/01/09 03:04 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Don't forget the humble turnbuckle. Can't be that modern of a device.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users