Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Scribe rule timber framing #20077 06/02/09 05:09 PM
N
Nic Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi Guys,

I took a course a few years ago in square rule timber framing and since then have participated in several builds using saw milled square timbers. I feel comfortable and competent in this technique. I would like to learn a little more about building a frame with non-dimensional round (un milled) timber. Can anyone reccommend a book that deals with this (but not a book on log cabins!!) i just want to build the frame with round timbers and wattle and daub the walls. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Nic] #20078 06/02/09 05:26 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
What is your attraction to round stock?

I have just infilled a small section of my blacksmith shop with wattle and daub. I am waiting for it to dry a bit before I plaster it with more clay for a finish. It may get a lime wash on top of that.

Tim

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Nic] #20081 06/02/09 08:32 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline
There is a series of 3 articles on "French Scribe" by Marc Guilhemjouan published in the Guild's journal "Timberframing" starting with issue 34.
He also used to have this information on his website, http://www.traditionaltimberframe.com/, but the site is now under construction (has been for a while).

Here it is - http://archtimberframe.com/?q=frenchscribe

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Tom Cundiff] #20084 06/02/09 08:47 PM
Tom Cundiff Offline

Not all who wander are lost.
Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Nic] #20142 06/04/09 09:22 PM
N
Nic Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The attraction of round wood timber for me are as follws

1. No processing of logs = lower environmental impact
2. Skill element (much harder therfroe more skillful) and i like learning new things!
3. Cost element (much cheaper than milled wood)
4. Aesthetically i think it looks much nicer

I like lime plaster on my wattle and daub walls it just gibes it a cleaner finsih in my opinion.

Thanks for those great links i will have to study them, its suprising how little there is out there on this topic!!!

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Nic] #20143 06/04/09 11:55 PM
Will Truax Offline

Tom - Always loved the animations on Marc's old site, and have long wondered why he took them down, they really are a powerful description of the system. Was not aware of his new site, both glad they're back, and that you posted the link

Nic – I would remind you that the same two reasons that probably drove people to hew timber to rectilinear still and will always apply, Wood is far harder to join in the round, (more time consuming in every way, from handling – a major challenge to dog off well enough to scribe with out danger of movement during layup – way more expensive to cut, perhaps only twofold plus after you build the skills ) and sap wood is quick to rot. In the grand scheme, when you count everything (fuel for saws and the folks who drive them, and all those extra days commuting, there is no impact advantage) I know of no good book explaining how to join round work, which, ironically, makes it not so different from any other system of layout

French Scribe is really a system for joining sawn timber, though the basic precepts of how layout and layups are approached can be borrowed to join round work.

Only the tool ( and I say this being one who prefers the plumbette to the bubble, hands down ) used to convey information from one stick to another is different.

Planes of reference are the same, notice the datums in these views. Of course, it took extra time to snap them accurately.

Shoulders are the time eater, much to “cope” with.

Don't mean to say too much nay, it's big fun to do, the sense of accomplishment runs high when it's done. Much of that, having to do with the challenge it holds.

Sawn natural curves hold nine tenths of the organic appeal and the efficiency factor is way higher.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Will Truax] #20145 06/05/09 12:19 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Interesting......some reasonable responses from Will. I, in no way would try and dissuade you from moving ahead with the round wood, it's mostly a curiosity on my part. I have been told I need to try more scribe work, we'll see how that goes.

Did I mention I was experimenting with clay, it's going well. A lime top will be in order, it cleans things up and sanitizes things. I will be trying my own lime from clam shells.

Tim

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: ] #20147 06/05/09 09:59 AM
Will Truax Offline

Derek - Yes, that is a Big Twig Bubble. And in the third image down you can see a bigger piece of the puzzle, a Bionic XYZ table / power shim thingie, one is on either end of each piece in the layup. They allow you to dial the pieces right into level (roll and end to end) and into exactitude over the lofting floor. Labor savers extroadinaire. Their production has recently moved from Rhode Island to Colorado.

And if you look a little closer, in all those images (it is hard to tell, I intentionally chose pics that left him anonymous) I am standing over the shoulder of the same person, somebody who used to work in your shop. He and Liz live in an antique cape just down the hill from me,(narrowly missed by last years F3, took the house across the road from them off its foundation) though these shots were taken thirty miles away where I stepped in to teach the crew to scribe. (quite the funky > another adjective comes to mind also < job to cut your teeth on !) He's not framing anymore but is attending the UNH School of Engineering.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: TIMBEAL] #20154 06/05/09 02:25 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

Did I mention I was experimenting with clay, it's going well. A lime top will be in order, it cleans things up and sanitizes things. I will be trying my own lime from clam shells.

Tim

That sounds like fun, Tim. Economical too. You are such a Luddite, dude grin

Post some pics when you can...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Scribe rule timber framing [Re: Nic] #20160 06/05/09 08:33 PM
N
Nic Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Ok well, i would be using tropical teak (i am building in Costa Rica) I would be using probably 5" in diameter poles so there is "less" wood to remove per joint. There is no need for massive beams as there is no snow load. I would be using hand tools only (no chainsaws etc...) just good old fashinoned push saw, chisel, slick, boring machine (hand powered) and bit and brace. There is no time pressure i can take as long as i want! im thinking about doing the tenons and then scribing the mortises to each piece and constructing one bent at a time and assembling it as i go. not the traditional assemble whole frame and put together after all the joinery has been made. I was hoping there would be a good system of scrbing from one piece to another, this plum bob system is not one i am familiar with any good lierature on it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users