Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: ] #20950 08/21/09 06:00 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Derek,

Your first post could have been stated in a little more positive and supportive manner e.g.

"If you can't find a book on this topic then please keep checking into this forum from time to time. Many competent timber framers regularly turn up here to contribute towards our better understanding of timber framing including traditional timber frame design and construction. You could also try searching through previously posted topics and threads to find some that might come close to answering your question. You could also do some local field research. Most owners are likely to be ammenable to granting permission for a genuine researcher to view their barn."

Its not really your place to question or berrate people who post on this forum. When you find that you can't help them (or yourself) then I would suggest that you please just take your hands off the keyboard and give us all a little respite.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: Gabel] #20956 08/22/09 12:49 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
Eric;

After more thought, "how to design a barn" is such a big question I will add the advice to just pick a style you like. Copy a local barn or there are Dutch, German, side entry, gable entry, forebay, swing beam barns, etc. I think "The Old Barn Book" by Allen Noble and Richard Cleek presents the most types of barns, "Field Guide to New England Barns and Farm Buildings" is very good for us New Englanders.

Sorry about the flap with Derek, it's nothing you did.

Derek, I have been offended by your antics before, but I said nothing. Your attitude is not acceptable to me. Please be positive and respectful.

Jim Derby

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: Housewright] #20957 08/22/09 01:02 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
I'd also consider what your intended use will be - and look for historical examples that match that use or can easily be adapted to it... the style and type of barn often had to do with the function of the space, available lumber, lay of the land, etc. etc.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: bmike] #20959 08/22/09 02:09 AM
C
collarandhames Offline
C
I'd like to interject for a moment.
I have not been a member for long,, a year and a half or more.
The forum is a valuable resource. And it is open to All members to voice their opinions. My opinion may not be the same as derek's, but I value imput from all sides.
Let's not allow this to be a manure fling. Sometimes people post values opposing ours,, and we should all be allowed a rebuttal,, but let's proceed in an adult manner.

We are all adults here aren't we?

Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: collarandhames] #20962 08/25/09 12:25 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Here is a link to the Small Farmers Journal, somewhere there should be some info on horse barns. You may have to buy a book or ten.

http://www.smallfarmersjournal.com/.docs/pg/animalpower.html

Doc Hammill has a wonderful approach with horses, in this link, the stick, used in a caring manor can create a peaceful relationship with the team as a whole.

Tim

Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: TIMBEAL] #20963 08/25/09 12:42 AM
C
cedar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the suggestions and defence. There are nice people on the forum. But someone has to try and hurt the feelings of new guild members like me. This is sad and does not say much good for our GUILD.
Cedar

Re: Books about designing barns. [Re: cedar] #20976 08/26/09 02:33 AM
C
collarandhames Offline
C
Cedar,
I don't think there was an intentional attack. Some people just shoot from the hip.
These forums can be like that. Water off a ducks back I say,, you're doing just fine!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users