Rate Thread
Only the best suite in town... #20195 06/08/09 02:36 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have to share...
My awesome new apartment - straw bale post & beam, with a lovely TF deck smile
I'm going to learn as much about it as I can while I'm living here. I'm curious to find out it's true r value once winter hits. Not that I'm really looking forward to winter again....

peace
Kristina

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: Timber Goddess] #20216 06/09/09 05:52 PM
C
cedar Offline
C
Hey Kristina, Your new place looks pretty good. Have you lived in a straw plce before now? How are things in Kaslo? My wife Chris and I live in Burnaby. I am just putting together my first small timber frame shop. We want to build our own timber frame house. We have thought about using a straw bale enclosure.
All the best, Eric Wolfe

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: cedar] #20218 06/09/09 06:51 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
As we come into the hot summer, how about a report on how the straw building feels in the summer. I am looking forward to the winter report as well. What it the heat source, wood, oil, gas?

Tim

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: cedar] #20377 06/17/09 01:52 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: cedar
Hey Kristina, Your new place looks pretty good. Have you lived in a straw plce before now? How are things in Kaslo? My wife Chris and I live in Burnaby. I am just putting together my first small timber frame shop. We want to build our own timber frame house. We have thought about using a straw bale enclosure.
All the best, Eric Wolfe

Hi, Eric -
This is my first time living in one. Been in many, though.
Nice to hear that you're building smile
I suggest checking around the area for other straw bale homes - it's pretty damp on the coast, not sure how they hold up. I think there's a few on the Island, though, so you'll probably be good.

Keep us posted on your home!
Cheers
*K

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: TIMBEAL] #20379 06/17/09 01:58 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
As we come into the hot summer, how about a report on how the straw building feels in the summer. I am looking forward to the winter report as well. What it the heat source, wood, oil, gas?

Tim

Hi, Tim -
It's been pretty hot here already this spring/summer, hit 30 degrees (Celsius). This place got pretty stuffy, it traps in the heat until you get the air moving. I have a good fan now, which makes it quite pleasant.

It's main heat is electric (hydro), and there's a back up wood cook stove. Like most of the homes here. We tend to get long power outages in this part of the world during the winter, due to avalanches, so wood heat is necessary.

Peace
*K

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: Timber Goddess] #20382 06/17/09 02:19 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
What is that floor made up of? Looks like hardwood plywood. What kind of finish? How do you like it for care and wear issues?

And are the circles something of a design, or concealing fasteners?

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: OurBarns1] #20395 06/18/09 02:37 AM
T
OP Offline
T
The floor is painted plywood...the circles are a new addition - the owner just had spray foam insulation put in, and those are plugs. She lives downstairs and was getting tired of hearing everything about the former tenants lives. Everything....

As far as care and wear...well, I've only been here a week so far, haven't been able to do much damage yet wink The walls are painted with traditional adobe paint (I'm not sure exactly what that is yet, will delve further) which flakes off with tape, and hanging pictures with nails is a no-go. But it cleans up nice!

I'm looking at the TF deck, and whatever was used to stain it sure wasn't the right thing, as it's all flaking of. I may just take it upon myself to pretty it up. A project in lieu of some rent, perhaps?

Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: Timber Goddess] #20400 06/18/09 03:25 PM
frwinks Offline
cool crib TG cool love the detail and texture of those walls... so....cartoonish it's awesome grin

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: frwinks] #20553 07/03/09 01:45 AM
T
toivo Offline
T
bootiful. nice spot TG. the floor seems like good sense. the walls are a trip. the deck framing has me thinking. thanks for posting !

i wonder how a deck post scribed to a boulder would go? would that, diagonal bracing and gravity be enough to locate it do you think?

Last edited by toivo; 07/03/09 01:48 AM. Reason: simplify simplify simplify
Re: Only the best suite in town... [Re: toivo] #21250 09/29/09 04:40 AM
brad_bb Offline
The walls have a little bit of the "Planet of the Apes" feel, eh? Nice though. Is that a commercial walk in door with a door closer? You don't usually see that in residential if it is. Is that door more than just single pane glass, thinking about R value?

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users