Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
All a'Twitter #20264 06/12/09 03:32 AM
Will Truax Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm a little surprised by it myself, but I've recently jumped into a a little bit of pop culture and have begun posting quick updates about our current project, for family, friends and colleagues to follow its progress.

Thought maybe some of you might like a look...

http://twitter.com/Bridgewright

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: ] #20291 06/13/09 02:26 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
A bridge section might just be a nice forum category here.

Neat stuff Will.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: ] #20299 06/13/09 10:40 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I need a bridge section, it is on the top row about the third tooth from the back.

I have not yet gotten into the twitter thing, maybe in time. Can't that get addictive after a while, twittering, or is it tweeting?

From the dictionary.......: old ladies in the congregation twittered.

Tim

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: TIMBEAL] #20301 06/13/09 11:56 PM
Will Truax Offline OP
OP Offline
Tim - You don't need to join Twitter to follow that link and follow along, and the posts there will only be job and bridge related.

I promise not to be stereotypically mundane, or speak to where I've gone to lunch, or who I sat across from.

Just little insights from this view of the river.

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: Will Truax] #20304 06/14/09 12:13 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Will, I am following along. I sure hope you all didn't think I was referring to the tweeter group as a bunch of old ladies, just found it interesting it came up in the definition, and how the designers of twitter created the idea. Was that part of their thinking?

Where are you going with the new by-line?

Tim

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: TIMBEAL] #20316 06/14/09 02:09 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL

I have not yet gotten into the twitter thing, maybe in time. Can't that get addictive after a while,

Tim

I can relate. All I need is another reason to stay glued to my computer! I already have numerous online "time suckers." That's primarily why I don't do Facebook or Twitter (much to my friends' chagrin). They would consume my day. But Will's bridge posts are rare enough to make me take a peek once in a while. Might even be able to justify it as "work time."

To steal a joke from Conan O'Brien, he said in a few years a new huge time-wasting web site will be created by You Tube, Twitter and Facebook called "You Twit Face!" laugh

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: OurBarns1] #20595 07/09/09 12:56 AM
Will Truax Offline OP
OP Offline

I posted things bridge related to this thread some while back – It's still out there somewhere in the cyber-ether, but was taken down some while ago when the forum was revamped and the section it was in was dropped.

http://www.tfguild.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=11067&page=0&fpart=2

I'd still like to see it maybe moved to off topic, there's lots of good stuff there, from numerous contributors.

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: Will Truax] #20597 07/09/09 06:43 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Will,

I think that you mean to move your bridge content to "On Topic".

I seem to recall that this was originally posted under "watch you doing now" in Off Topic.

I agree that maybe a bridge & mill section would be useful where seriously heavy timber framing (plus dare I say metal connectors) might feature large in the content.

I am sure that Joel would provide a new forum thread and retrieve your content.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: All a'Twitter [Re: Ken Hume] #20637 07/15/09 03:10 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Thanks for that link, Will.

Amazing thread. A lot there. I'd never seen it.

One of the problems w/ this forum, I think, is that we can get sidetracked. That thread could have been discussed / explored for a long, long time. Mo's stairs, bridge scarfs, truss design, flooding issues, barn collapse, wooden train bridges, regional practices, on and on...

Oft times it seems we give a topic some inital discussion, when another comes along and steals our attention. Threads like this get lost/forgotten.

I've been thinking of some ways that will allow true ongoing discussion/research here. For example, maybe we should do away w/ the "archive" section.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: All a'Twitter [Re: OurBarns1] #20641 07/15/09 07:32 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Don,

I don't agree with binning the archive. If you do a search on a particular topic then this archive can also be "data mined". The archive came into being when there was a change in the forum format (and storage capacity) and there were many howls from the contributers to bring it back.

I agree that topics such as Will's do need to be recovered but then why did he post it under off topic in the first place ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users