Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Besigue [Re: ] #20347 06/15/09 08:24 AM
M
marko Offline
M
'Bisaigue' [Biz eye gu] seems to turn up the most hits. I had a go on one last week. Not easy but its weight could make it a cool tool. I was told they were custom made according to the height of the owner.
Not sure where they cross over with a 'Twybil'. Think the twybil was a smaller more pick axe-like tool more for chopping out than for pairing.

Re: Bisaigue [Re: marko] #20373 06/17/09 01:26 AM
Will Truax Offline

Here's the image I said I'd post, no sense in posting dimensions, one should be built to suit the user...

Measure heel of palm to top of shoulder, then add a few inches. Useing one that is too short does hold danger, for yourself, ( I once shredded the armpit of a tee-shirt without realizing what was happening ) One unnecessarily long would require an increase in distance between stations. The paring end is a two inch chisel, the end grain chisel is 3/4's, traditional, but I might have opted for wider.

the intended use is in cutting the long large section pieces in a layup, too heavy to be brought up to horses while standing. A situation which is now (hydraulics and bridge cranes) all but a nonissue -

They do have advantages however, the distance which might seem a disadvantage, is much the inverse, as with a slick you can feel flat, or know through the tool how deep you are bellying. Leverage comes into play also, you can move more wood with less effort, both quickly and accurately.

I would not want to be without one.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Bisaigue [Re: Will Truax] #20381 06/17/09 02:12 AM
OurBarns1 Offline
Neat post, Will

Neat tool.

I can see how the "no bending over" thing must have been a consideration. Kind of like a long-handled scoring axe.

Something makes me think this tool came out of ship building too. I can almost see the old French shipyards...

Course, that could do double duty: quite a weapon. Handy sidearm during the French Revolution (lol)...

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users