Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? #20401 06/18/09 04:12 PM
C
cedar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I am fascinated by the CNC Timber Frame joinery equipment. But I have no experience with any of them. Which one is the better system to go with the Hundegger K2 or the Krusimatic G1?
How much maintainence do they need? How accurate are their joints? Is it hard to learn how to use them? Will they put the traditionalists out of business? Can they do things to fancy up the looks of the timbers? They are marvelous pieces of engineering and computer technology.

Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? [Re: cedar] #20411 06/19/09 12:23 AM
C
cedar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
True Joy & Mastery of the Craft comes from owning a Krusi G1. Does anyone agree with my new tag-line?

Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? [Re: cedar] #20416 06/19/09 09:57 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
Originally Posted By: cedar
Will they put the traditionalists out of business?

I believe this has been discussed before, the result was, no. It will actually give the traditionalists an edge over the mass producers.

http://www.krusi.com/

It looks like a slick machine. What is the cost of such a machine? Do you have the clientele to back the machine? Do you want to work for the machine or your neighbor?

Just for the record, I am not bashing the machine, I run enough machinery in my small shop to qualify as a machine run shop, sawmill, edger, forklift, self loader, excavator, tractor, truck, etc, I am working for the machine.

I hope someone will chime in with some more sound answers for you.

Tim

Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? [Re: cedar] #20432 06/20/09 01:54 AM
T
Timber Goddess Offline
T
Hi, cedar -
I'll do what I can to give you a few answers

Which one is the better system to go with the Hundegger K2 or the Krusimatic G1?

I have only operated the K2, so that's where my knowledge is.

How much maintainence do they need?

A lot! There's pneumatics, hydraulics, motors, bearings, and electronics to think about, so consider all that could go wrong with any of those and start from there. Then there's the software updates, tool sharpening and repair, calibration, issues with dents and bash-ups from flying wood...
Maintenance is a major factor with such a precision machine, and it can take quite a while to iron the bugs out. I would even suggest getting one second hand and having the operator train you on that particular machine.

How accurate are their joints?

If the machine is properly calibrated and the timbers programed in correctly then the notching will be as accurate as you make it. Plus or minus 1mm, dead on 0.5mm, a tolerance of 4mm...

Is it hard to learn how to use them?

Yes and no.
It's hard in that you have to be on top of so many things, as mentioned with the maintenance question. It can take a while to wrap your brain around everything it does and what you need to look out for. But eventually you get to know it by sound. This can take about a year.
If you understand timber framing to start with you'll have a much easier go of it. Understanding the properties of wood and knowing how to read shop drawings are very helpful.
Trouble shooting is where you have to be a very creative in your thinking. You never want to have to wait 2 weeks for a part or technician to come over from Germany, so, if you can, figure it out on your own (with technical support from Hans via email and a local welder, of course).

Will they put the traditionalists out of business?

There's another thread that deals with this one smile

Can they do things to fancy up the looks of the timbers?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. But it can add chamfers and end details. The machine is still pretty rough, though, and it leaves marks on the timbers from the clamping, grease and saw table polish. So the timbers need to be planed or sanded afterwards.

I hope this helps somewhat.
Peace,
*K

Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? [Re: Timber Goddess] #20441 06/20/09 04:11 PM
C
cedar Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the information Goddess. I would like to see the Krusi G1 in action. These machines are tempting to buy. I saw a used one for sale in the USA. The K2 looks like a nice machine to have around too.

Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? [Re: cedar] #21731 11/10/09 10:25 PM
T
Timber Master Offline
T
Hello, I am a "master" of the Hundegger Machines. I see the Krusi G1 machine you are comparing the K2 with. It looks as if the Krusi G1 machine would be better paired with the Hundegger SC machines (they have the old SC-1, SC-2 SC-2i, and now the new SC-3). The K2 (old) or new K2i are Amazing. I would recommend it to any one. it is possible to do almost anything you want on these machines. When buying one there are endless possibilities on the options you could get with the Hundegger machines. But with a "basic" machine you it can take care of all of your timber framing needs. I can't say enough about these machines they are defiantly the leader in joinery machines.

www.hundeggerusa.com or www.hundegger.com

If it ain't tight it ain't right...
Re: Which one is better Hundegger or Krusi? #26302 04/27/11 11:42 AM
S
scrapy999 Offline
S
My opinion is Hundegger is the better and the best.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users