Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Ken Hume] #20575 07/06/09 04:54 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
Light and Heavy Timber Framing Made Easy by Hodgson has some good heavy duty scarf joints illustrated.

The entire book, being now public domain , is available for download here (only to those in the US, I'm afraid.)
Light and Heavy Timber Framing Made Easy

Ken,

I will email you the section dealing with scarf joints, since those outside the US can't seem to access the google books version. (at least that was true a couple of years ago)

Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Gabel] #20577 07/06/09 08:28 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Gabel,

This Goggle.pdf book, now received and reviewed, is an excellent book for heavy timber frame practioners and good reading for all. I have already picked up one tip that I had previously considered and dismissed re wedging and will now revisit. The book contains quite a few heavyweight metal reinforced scarf joint designs. This book contains just the right kind of "dope slap" material that I had in mind to help with making a fundamental design review.

I seem to recall that someone was requesting design information a little while back on hammer beam roofs and I note that this book contains quite a bit on this topic.

Books like this really need to be republished and maybe the Guild could examine this possibility now that the copyright has expired (first published 1909).

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 07/06/09 08:31 PM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Ken Hume] #20589 07/08/09 02:46 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume

Books like this really need to be republished and maybe the Guild could examine this possibility now that the copyright has expired (first published 1909).

Regards

Ken Hume

That is a great book. I remember Gabel referencing it here before. I put it in my "google library" long ago. Google books is a treasure trove for old carpentry texts. A "library" almost unimaginable before.

But, it's also effectively killing the aims of those who wish to republish these texts. Why buy the book if you can view it and/or print out for free? (and just the sections you want.)

It seems there would essentially be no market in North America (or anywhere else google books is available) for these reprints.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: OurBarns1] #20590 07/08/09 03:25 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi Don,

The point that you make is a blinding glimpse of the obvious.

However, I think that there still might well be a demand for an up to date paper version especially if the layout and quality of illustrations contained within an old book like this was updated and improved.

Have you made an index of the "out of copyright" carpentry books that you have managed to download for free ?

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: OurBarns1] #20594 07/09/09 12:50 AM
Will Truax Offline

Don – I have downloaded and read a couple dozen PDF copies of “public domain” books from Google Books, some on carpentry and timberframing, and quite a number of 19th century treatises on bridge building, some written by patent holders...

But, I guess I'm just old fashioned enough that I'd rather have a number of them as hardcopies. Physical books are just easier to read, and it is somehow far easier to find those passages I'd like to revisit.

Astragal Press would be the folks to look to or partner up with to work to see a long out of print trade related book republished, it is one of their specialties -

http://www.astragalpress.com/book_index.htm

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Will Truax] #20596 07/09/09 01:48 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I much prefer actual books to downloaded pdfs. I do all of my reading in bed, usually in the wee hours. I like the idea of bringing back some of the out of print stuff.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Dave Shepard] #20598 07/09/09 11:15 AM
G
Gabel Offline
G
I, too, prefer a hardcopy, but I am not complaining considering that 10 years ago, I would never have heard of many of the books I now have as a pdf thanks to google.

In fact, with the L&HTFME book referenced above, I took the file to the local printers and had it printed and spiral bound for $30 or so. Well worth it.

Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: Gabel] #20599 07/09/09 01:38 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Getting one of these old texts spiral bound for your own use is a great idea.

I'm with you guys. I like the feel of a book in my hands too. Sadly, convincing a publisher that a reprint would be marketable is a whole other endeavor.

Like Gabel said, a service like google books would have been hard to fathom 10 years ago. Imagine what the next 10 years holds. Paying for information (like a hardcopy book) is getting more and more old-fashioned. The public almost expects information to be freely accessible these days.

As a writer in the newspaper field, this is one facet they say is killing papers. Why stand in line and pay for a newspaper anymore? You and I may love the feel of the pages, but 20-year-olds don't line up to buy them. They're twittering.

Google is leading the way in this regard. email, picture services, libraries, news, television episodes, youtube, sketchup, etc, are all free. Your own website costs you all of $10/ year.

Ken,

I have a bunch of books saved in my google library. There's a search window to find what you need w/in your "collection." I can share my titles if you'd like. (A bit pressed for time at the moment).

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: Heavy Duty Scarf Joint Design [Re: OurBarns1] #20619 07/13/09 09:01 PM
C
Colton Allen Offline
C
Hey all, after checking out the link that Gabel posted, I checked amazon.com and they are selling a hardcover version that was published on 2008 for $37.

Colton

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users