Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Several sketches in a single file? #20721 07/21/09 05:40 AM
B
Brock Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello again,

I've been trying to create several sketches within a single file in Sketchup (and losing hair). Just like in MS excel where you can have several workbooks saved under the same document.

I would like to be able to open 'X', and navigate within that file to bent and wall drawings, rafter specifics, etc., etc..

Layers?

Thanks in advance for your ongoing willingness to share knowledge.

Brock

Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: Brock Smith] #20723 07/21/09 07:21 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Brock,

The "Layers" facility really comes into its own when you start to produce "Scenes". You can set which view and layers will show in a particular scene and this might go some way to providing you with your wish to view several "sketches" within the same file.

Sketchup imports "named views" from AutoCAD and presents these as Sketchup "Scenes" and so there is good interchangeability between this high end heavy weight CAD program and Sketchup.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 07/21/09 07:23 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: Ken Hume] #20725 07/21/09 12:55 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Describe a bit more of what you are trying to do...

Frame inside enclosure walls with windows and doors and furniture sitting on a landscape?

Layers can work ... but be warned - they DO NOT CONTROL geometry - so only move groups and / or components to a layer other than Layer 0. What this means is that if you are a sloppy draftsman - when you switch off a layer part of your model may disappear - obviously the intended effect - except when half a timber or half a wall disappears. Ungrouped and uncomponented(?) Lines drawn on a layer CAN influence other stray lines that may be turned 'off'. My practice is that I only move components and groups to layers.

The Outliner is your friend here - along with groups and components and scenes.

The way I work is this:

Lines and planes get made into components - these become timbers, rafters, floor joists, walls, windows, etc. - basically the 'objects' that we build with.

Components get organized by groups - so timbers may be grouped as 'Roof', 'Floor', or B1, B2, Wall A, etc. etc. Walls get the same treatment, and I usually include windows in the grouping of the wall geometry.

(Note - in the case of a group that could be repeated I would make it a component - so a truss that repeats would probably become a component rather than a group so I can make changes throughout.)

When I have my model working along I'll use a combination of the outliner and scenes (with layers as needed).

The outliner lets you control the groups and components, and the parts within them. When you open the outliner you can effect your model by right clicking items - so Hide, Unhide, Delete, select, filtering, etc. etc.

A strategy you might use is to put objects 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' into different macro groups (with micro and sub groups and components within them). You can now control visibility of single objects or whole assemblies.

If you keep coming back to a certain part, object, or view - create a scene. This will create a tab on top of your model view and allow you to keep coming back to it. You can have the scene 'remember' exactly what you are looking at - so section cuts, objects that are hidden, layers, camera angles, etc. etc.

I use layers only for objects that may want to be on or off as they cross over groups and large assemblies - and most of my layering is for 2 purposes - documentation (dimensions, notes, construction lines, etc.) and for 'fluff' (people, cars, trees, furniture, - stuff that dresses up the model)

Hope this helps.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: bmike] #20727 07/21/09 01:21 PM
daiku Offline
Just one note about the outliner: It's a performance hog. Make sure you close it before you run the tf_ruby scripts like make shop drawings, or create timber list.

I use layers the same way Mike does - to hide certain objects to make it easier to see what's going on. If you download the example from my web site, you can see how the purlins are on their own layer, so you can hide them to better see inside. The grid lines are also on their own layer, so you can hide them for printing, perhaps.

As Mike warns, you should note that even though a component is on a particular layer, the geometry inside might be on a different layer. I just found and cleaned up some of that "sloppiness" in the example and re-posted it. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: daiku] #20729 07/21/09 01:30 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Clark -

Have you experimented with the Outliner and what may be causing it to hog resources? Does it hog when minimized, or when fully opened? Is it the graphic representation of the information - or the data itself? It seems that the data lives on and gets updated behind the scenes regardless, as I thought this was a core way in which SketchUp dealt with geometry...

-Mike

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: bmike] #20732 07/21/09 06:22 PM
daiku Offline
It's the graphical representation. If the outliner window is minimized, everything's fine. If not, it takes 30 seconds to make a shop drawing on a pretty simple model on my relatively fast machine. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: daiku] #20737 07/23/09 01:47 AM
B
Brock Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses.

Mike, I'll try and explain my desired outcome.... Bear with me.

I generally start by creating an Isometric of the a completed frame. Each piece is assigned a name and created as a component. This portion of the drafting is very helpful to me, because I use the timber list ruby frequently (thanks Clark) and our team finds the 3D picture of the entire project very useful.

Once that drawing is completed, I would like to find a way to 'highlight' certain sections of the frame (bents, walls and floors, for example), and be able to view them on their own without opening a new file. Essentially, create line drawings of frame sections to create simple working drawings.

I thought I was on to something by using the section plane tool, creating a group from a slice, highlighting and assigning a new component value. But, beyond that, I'm having difficulty viewing it on it's own, either with scenes or layers.

Having said that, scenes and layers are relatively uncharted territory for me, so I may be missing a small piece of the puzzle.

Brock

Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: Brock Smith] #20738 07/23/09 02:08 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
You can use the section tool just as you describe... the trick is to create a scene, layer or group (or combination of all 3) that isolate just what you want to see.

If I have time on Thursday I'll try to post an example file.

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: Brock Smith] #20739 07/23/09 03:09 AM
D
DKR Offline
D
I've had the same problem. I'll create a scene (for example a bent) with a certain section and layers turned on, then I'll create another (a different bent) with different layers turned on. When I go back to scene #1 it won't seem to remember what section was being used, nor (I don't think) does it remember which layers were turned on. I got frustrated with this some time ago, so I frankly haven't tried it in the last few months so the memory is a tad foggy.

Re: Several sketches in a single file? [Re: DKR] #20740 07/23/09 08:30 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi DKR,

Right click on the "scene" tab that you have just set up and select "properties".

Tick box the properties that you want to preserve and save in your scene. Press enter & close the dialog box.

Right click on the "scene" tab again and select "update".

Job done. It will now be there every time for you.

If you want to change any of your scene settings remember to click "update" scene.

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 07/23/09 08:31 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users