Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Japanese Torii Gate Joinery #20904 08/11/09 10:10 PM
JonathanBurnett Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm interested in learning the proper joinery of a traditional Torii. I've heard about a book "Compilation of Shrine and Temple Construction Diagrams" but have not seen it online. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places.

Any ideas where to find a copy, even used?

What other books are available to help with joinery for the Torii?

Thanks,

Jonathan Burnett
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: JonathanBurnett] #20916 08/14/09 03:01 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Jonathan,

There is no English book by that title, "Compilation of Shrine and Temple Construction Diagrams", as far as I'm aware of - though in Japanese there are books with titles that would translate as something quite close to that.

How's your Japanese reading ability, by the way? Though these books contain lots of diagrams, the text often has important details to add, including what NOT to do. There are numerous styles of torii, some appropriate for certain contexts and not others.

There are several books with sections giving proportions of torii, however only a little info on the joinery. I have this sort of information, and...

...I would be interested to know WHY you are wanting to learn the joinery for a torii - do you intend to build one? If so, for what application?

~Chris

Last edited by Chris Hall; 08/14/09 03:03 AM.

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Chris Hall] #20918 08/14/09 04:19 PM
OP Offline
Hi Chris,

Yes, I have crafted several of these Torii and I want to learn how to construct them in the traditional manner.

I have a traditional client that is quite interested in a large torii. Having crafted several already, although not quite traditional, I want to learn the proper methods.

I am sending you an Email message, to kurisuhoru@gmail.com, with attachements that show what I have done and give you an idea of the scope of this project.

Thank you for any information you can share regarding torii joinery.

Jonathan Burnett
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Chris Hall] #20923 08/16/09 12:52 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
This is something that interests me greatly as well. What would be the appropriate context for a shimmei style Torii fashioned from raw (bark still on) red cedar?

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #20930 08/18/09 02:26 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Appropriate context? On the approach to a Shrine. It is a religious item as far as I'm concerned and has no other suitable context.

As for leaving the bark on, that is an invitation to insect pests. Red Cedar would be an okay choice for the posts otherwise, though it is rather weak.

And as for the Shinmei style of torii, why that one in particular? There are two different torii that get called 'shinmei'. One has has minimal post splay, and the penetrating tie does not actually penetrate through the posts. The other type called 'shinmei' is has the normal penetrating tie, a stub-post in the middle atop the tie, and a curved double cap. Is there something in particular you like about that style - depending upon which one you mean of course?

~Chris

Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Chris Hall] #20932 08/18/09 07:18 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
The former is what I had in mind. I ask because it's one of the first constructions my former employer (a landscape architect) asked me to build... But he had no idea of how to go about it and had no desire to give me the time to work out joinery... 12" galvanised lag bolts.

It was altered from the pure form by incorporating it into a fence and adding a solid gate. It was the outside entrance to a japanese influenced garden.

Pretty much everything we did used ERC for the priciple posts, all with the bark still. He and his neighbor lived in a large stand of it.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #20933 08/18/09 12:56 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
After I wrote my previous reply, I was wondering if you were referring to Eastern Red Cedar, a variety of juniper.

I'm originally from the west coast, so when I see the words 'Red Cedar' I always associate it to Western Red Cedar, thuja plicata.

~Chris

Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Chris Hall] #20935 08/18/09 06:22 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
Yup, Juniperus virginiana... I tend to have the opposite problem as I've been living on this side of the country all my adult life.

Raphael D. Swift
Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: JonathanBurnett] #20953 08/21/09 10:11 PM
J
Jim Rudholm Offline
J
I finished a torii next to my bamboo grove last week. Here is the link to the PicasaWeb photo collection:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimrudholm/Torii?authkey=Gv1sRgCIPBnLidzN3yGg#

Re: Japanese Torii Gate Joinery [Re: Jim Rudholm] #20954 08/21/09 11:07 PM
OP Offline
Nice set up for turning columns. How long did it take to turn these columns?

What is the maximum diameter and length for this setup?

Did the Harbor Freight router last until the end?

Jonathan Burnett
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users