Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #17481 12/09/08 02:17 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, here's an update.

I did make phone contact with 123Gen, by phone and later with an email, but have heard nothing since. Hopefully 123Gen will reappear!

I put out a group e-mail message to the 13 or 14 people who have expressed interest so far. I decided to set an admission bar, of sorts, by requiring that any prospective member first have completed the hopper and sawhorse, as I detailed in TFG #78 and #79, before they can commence roof layout study. This ensures that all participating members will be roughly on the same page. Japanese layout is not an easy field of study, and you've got to be pretty determined and motivated to get into it, so I've set a couple of small projects that serve as a sort of river to cross before taking the plunge.

Meetings are likely to be happening on a 2 month interval. Location is still not finalized, and in fact may vary between meetings.

Once we get started on a new roofing model, which will probably take, given a meeting frequency of 8 weeks, most of the year to complete, new members will have to wait and work on getting their hopper and sawhorse done. Then, when it's time for the group to start a new model, any new members can hop in at that point. This is how things are envisioned at this early juncture anyhow. I want to keep the study group alive and growing, and providing learning challenges to all members while still allowing room for new people to join in at convenient times.

That's all for now,

Chris

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #19316 04/21/09 04:06 AM
W
wskelley Offline
W
Hi Chris,
I'm building a Japanese garden gate in the Yamaga style for Great Vow Zen Monastery in Clatskanie, Oregon... just finishing up the joinery and should have it erected May 21. I may be starting a Kirizuma style shelter for a statue at the monastery entrance later this summer... and have a lot of questions on structure as the shelter will have 4 posts - unlike the gate with only 2. The gate is my first venture into posts, purlins, and joinery... SCARY!! but so intersting to learn. With the shelter, I really need help on the structure - traditional, not western interpretations, and pictures or photo's would help a lot.

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: wskelley] #19386 04/25/09 01:19 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
wskelley,

sure, I'll help you out. Let me know the specific questions when you have them.

~Chris

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #19421 04/28/09 04:29 AM
W
wskelley Offline
W
Hi Chris,
I'll be headed up to the monastery in the morning to work on the Yamaga gate all week and will return on May 5. I should know a little more about the Pavilion project and have some startup questions for you - probably in the area of Proportions & structural parts.

- Bill

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: wskelley] #20925 08/16/09 10:53 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
Does the Japanese Carpentry Study group still exist?

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #20928 08/18/09 02:11 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi Raphael,

that's a good question! I have been waiting for months to see if a large enough group of people could form. I set a couple of small projects (hopper and a sawhorse) for people to complete on their own before any study group meetings would be held, with the idea being that completion of the two projects would put participants on the same page more or less at the outset. So far, 9 or 10 months later, only one person has completed both projects, and a couple have completed the hopper. These are not, i might add, hugely complex or time-absorbing projects, though the sawhorse is far from simple.

Not enough to get the thing going as of yet it would seem. I am wondering if it might have been better to take another approach, like offering a couple of weekend workshops or something like that, instead of setting self-study based projects....

Anyhow, are you interested in participating? If so, I can forward the information to you on the hopper and sawhorse projects, but I can't guarantee that this thing will actually get off the ground. It's a little discouraging so far, but I remain hopeful that eventually something will happen. all it needs is 6~8 people committed to the thing and it would fly I'm sure.

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #20931 08/18/09 06:49 AM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I definitely interested (and I really need to build more sawhorses). Scheduling could be problematic as I'm usually working when other people are free.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Raphael D. Swift] #20934 08/18/09 01:12 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Raphael,

PM sent.

~Chris

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: Chris Hall] #22479 02/01/10 08:56 PM
J
jobrien Offline
J
Hello - is this group still in existence? I know that I'm interested and could probably find a few others to join me, if you're still looking. Personally, I'm looking for anything and everything that I can get involved with, especially concerning traditional Japanese carpentry. Thanks!
Jen

Re: Japanese Carpentry Study group [Re: jobrien] #22480 02/02/10 12:03 AM
C
Chris Hall Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hello Jen,

nice to hear of your enthusiasm! I'm still 'looking' for people, passively I suppose, however after trying to get the study group off the ground the year before last things pretty much ground to a halt after 12 months. It seemed difficult to get to the point of critical mass, though at one point there were 15 or 16 people indicating their interest. Then they basically dropped out of sight and in the end I was left with just a couple of folks who had the time for it and were still keen to get involved. That wasn't enough to get going with unfortunately. Further, I set a couple of small projects which were intended to get all participants on the same relative starting point, and after one year's wait, only 3 people had managed to complete that first project, and just one had done the second.

Japanese carpentry requires a lot of commitment to study, plain and simple.

How have you come to your interest in the topic Jen?

On my blog I have recently made available the first couple of volumes on the Art of Japanese Carpentry Drawing, which are for sale through Ebay (the link is on my blog's main page), and I am also looking to get involved in a couple of programs at Heartwood School, so there is some discussion in that regard. I may also be doing a presentation for the Japan Society of Boston in March of this year, which would be in your neck of the woods.

The material covered in volume II of my book forms the requirement for the first project. This is a project that can be completed in an afternoon.

I'm ready to jump out of the gate and off to the races with the study group at any time, but it needs at least 5~6 people ready to jump with me, and so far that hasn't happened. I remain hopeful, but haven't been actively pursuing this for the past few months. I can lead the horse to water (perhaps!) but, well, you know the rest.

That, in a nutshell, is where things stand at the moment.

~Chris

Last edited by Chris Hall; 02/02/10 12:04 AM. Reason: typos

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Chris Hall, Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users