Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: scarf under a kingpost [Re: Don P] #21101 09/04/09 03:51 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Don P

I'd be appreciative if Mike made me cry laugh

I see I'm getting a bad rap here on the forums!
No crying or whining! wink

Don - that is a cool web based link. Have to spend some time with it a bit - but the description looks like it would be fun to play around with.

I have access to MultiFrame 2D - so I usually just export my 3D model to stick lines and use that program to study the loading, wind, piece sizes, etc.

Again - I'm no engineer - but can get far enough along...

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: scarf under a kingpost [Re: bmike] #21102 09/04/09 04:47 PM
mo Offline OP
OP Offline
Will T, thanks for the reference to panel point. Gotcha.

Mike B, Timbeal,

yea I guess I could find one, it would actually be a 36' considering the length past the post.

Gabel, Thanks for the compliment. I like the idea of plumb purlins and possibly a beam in the same vertical plane to Xbrace.
I took your advice about the X bracing between kp's. Wrought iron, ofcourse!

Timbeal, I don't like the strut mortises above the tenon either. I think Mike B suggestion of housing with no tenon might make sense as those are in compression. Put a screw in there, or maybe some more banding.

Ken, I like the idea of the timber count, that makes sense. I have added some wings that I think would stabilize those posts some more. They are braced at the bottom 3rd. Does this help the issue?

Mike, what file extension is your analysis program compatible with? Would you be willing to plug it in?

Built these wings, for concealed space for band and engineers, electrical area, etc. Talked to my brother (sound engineer) about the acoustics.

"There should be no problem as far as slap(echo) because the open back(upstage) would minimize a lot of that. As far as monitor world is concerned it would be best to try and build a wing off of either side of the stage, space and money allowing. I'd line it up with the front of the stage(downstage). Amplifiers for the house PA are going to need somewhere to live and the wing would allow for that as well."

Re: scarf under a kingpost [Re: mo] #21103 09/04/09 07:56 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Mo - PM sent.

2d DXF file for import into MultiFrame. I can work with a DWG as well. The program is fairly particular - I draw lines on axis of the timbers, flatten it all down to be sure it is in 2d in the world UCS, then have hand work to break and sort and trim and extend lines to get the members to work to the program's logic. Doesn't take much, just some thought when setting it up. In HSB I have a function that spits out the axis lines for me - then I clean up the intersections.

Need to know your roof snow load and rough self weight of whatever you want for the decking and the roofing materials. Roof snow load can be taken as reductions for pitch, materials, and category of use... or we can ballpark it just to see how it comes out.

I can play around with it. No promises on when I can get it back to you... and the results... well they will be as good as any other free advice you get on an internet forum. wink

You will more than likely need a significant moment connection to the FND to make it all work with any sizeable wind loading. The wings certainly stiffen things up a bit... but this would make a great TF kite under the right conditions.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: scarf under a kingpost [Re: bmike] #21104 09/05/09 11:30 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Mo,

An article has just been published in The Royal Academy of Engineering's magazine - "Ingenia" re sound engineering for public places (e.g. concert buildings). This article can be seen and downloladed from :-

http://www.ingenia.org.uk/ingenia/articles.aspx?index=562

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users