Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Innovations and Modifications #21199 09/21/09 02:09 AM
D
Devin Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am curious to hear of anyone's development of good tweaks, modifications, or otherwise novel developments in the field of timberframe tools. Not having a lot of money to spend on fancy German tools, I have instead focused on tweaking less expensive tools to suit my needs--- and in some cases, I feel that I have hit upon a superior design to what is available commercially.

A good example is my LinearLink chain beam saw, which I outfitted with a wide aftermarket base and a 1/4 aluminum shoe for extra stability. A quirk of its design turns out to be one of its best features-- the depth adjuster lets you rake the bar forward 10 deg or so and back about 30 deg. Raking the bar back allows one to cut mortises for wedged half-dovetails and tongue and fork joints very accurately and effectively. I can;t think of any better way to do it actually. The German saws look nice, but they are incapable of this feature which I seem to use all of the time. Having recently visited a SIP shop and seen the ultra-thin kerf (1/8") chains they are using on their LinearLinks, my next move is to get a couple of these chains.

I've managed to acquire a set of three Rockwell beam saws-- a 8", 10", and 12". Having never used one of the German saw I can only say that I can't fathom a circular saw being more robust and accurate. Depth is set precisely with a worm gear-- which is soooo nice. I've outfitted the 8" with a dado stack for cutting braces and lap tenons-- a huge time saver. It seems like a 12" saw with a dado stack could be used much like the tenon cutters sold by the German makers. There used to be a company that sold dado kits for skil worm saws--- I think they were deemed too dangerous. Anyone use one of these for timberframing?

I am envisioning some modifications to the makita mortiser in the near future as well. It seems simple enough to outfit it with an adjustable fence for crosscutting, and perhaps even create a setup that allows you to plunge at an angle other than 90 deg. Has anyone on the forums modified their Makita in such a way? It seems that it already has some advantages over the German machines. If it were able to crosscut, it could really be a hot ticket. I suppose you might have to change the angle of the teeth for it to work well though.

Devin Smith
Rockingham, VT

Re: Innovations and Modifications [Re: Devin Smith] #21201 09/21/09 01:28 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Let's get together in early October.

This sounds like an excellent article for Timber Framing.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users