Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Best traditional design book? #21242 09/27/09 08:15 PM
Z
Zach LaPerriere Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Short of visiting actual frames, any suggestions for best design books?

I'm really looking for a survey of particular types. It'd be nice to see, as an
example, a study of several different representative capes.

I'm guessing my ideal book may not have been written...

I've search high and low on the forum, but excuse me if I missed something.

My best,

Zach

Re: Best traditional design book? [Re: Zach LaPerriere] #21245 09/28/09 07:52 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Zach,

There are bound to be thousands of historical survey reports contained within the archives of many local history groups plus of course the TTRAG archive, however the problem remains with the publication of same especially if this betrays any confidences agreed at the time of the survey - implied or otherwise.

I am aware of a number of books published this side of the pond but to date The Framed Houses of Massachusetts Bay by Abbott Lowell Cummings remains one of the best illustrated books on traditional New England timber-framed designs.

There is no doubt that this type of book is in short supply mainly because of the time required to measure, gather, compile and present the data involved in a meaningfull way.

I have in the past suggested to Joel that The TFG publish a compendium of North American regional designs plus selected international designs but as yet I am not aware of progress made in this respect.

I have by now examined about 1500 historic timber framed buildings and have produced 3D CAD models (easily translated into Sketchup) for about 30 or so the very best. Tomorrow I will survey and add a 3 bay crown post roof building to the collection which dates from 1324 and this timber-frame demonstrates a surprising level of sophistication which really be shared with other designers and carpenters.

If the tome that you seek does not yet exist then a collective effort might solve this problem.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Best traditional design book? [Re: Ken Hume] #21246 09/28/09 08:27 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello Ken,

Thanks for your thoughtful answer.

Yes, I understand that what I'm really looking for is a month trip
with a VIP pass to any building that looks interesting!

Can I ask if you have made any of your 3D CAD models available online?
I'd love to have a look through a few. That 1324 sounds very interesting.

I've always appreciated your posts here and contributions to the Guild.

Best,

Zach

Re: Best traditional design book? [Re: Zach LaPerriere] #21251 09/29/09 07:22 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Hi Zach,

If you go to http://www.obr.org.uk/newsletters.html you can download a whole load of the Oxfordshire Building Record newsletters (*.pdf). Many of these contain report findings and drawings of historic buildings that have been examined by the group including cruck framed buildings. Though this is not New England I think that the newsletter will give you some idea of how a recording group operates and maybe you could get together with a few friends and offer a similar service to old bulding owners in your region.

I have not published any of the 3D models on line mainly because I would like initially to present the findings in a more formal way i.e. book or report format complete with accompanying text explanations. I really need to find a good publisher who would be willing to help in this respect.

Once our findings about the 1324 crown post roof building becomes clearer I will send you an update.

Regards

Ken Hume

Regards

Ken Hume

Last edited by Ken Hume; 09/29/09 07:26 AM.

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: Best traditional design book? [Re: Ken Hume] #21269 10/01/09 06:35 AM
Z
OP Offline
Z
Hello Ken,

Thanks for the link and the update.

I'll look forward to seeing more.

Best,

Zach

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman