Print Thread
Rate Thread
AutoCAD import filter to Sketchup version 7.1 #21305 10/10/09 01:32 PM
K
Ken Hume Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hi,

I recently downloaded the latest update for Sketchup ordinaire i.e. not the Pro version and was disappointed to note that a dwg / dxf import filter is no longer provided as part of the standard download file.

It is still possible to obtain an AutoCAD import filter as a separate download from the Sketchup website as a self installing plug in file but warning has been given by Sketchup that they will not continue to support the import of AutoCAD files into the "free" version of Sketchup in future releases.

Hurry and download your filter now before it is withdrawn from their website.

Regards

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: AutoCAD import filter to Sketchup version 7.1 [Re: Ken Hume] #21311 10/10/09 11:44 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
They see a market - and the functionality of the import is a powerful thing that may drive people to 'go pro'.

Remember that you get what you pay for - and what Google giveth (for free) Google can take away.

Even at the pro price - it is still the cheapest and easiest 3d drawing program available. It is easily 1/4 the price of anything in Autodesk's stable - and probably similar in ratio to Dietrich's or Cadworks. HSB is $$$$ as you need Acad and a seat for the modules you want to run.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: AutoCAD import filter to Sketchup version 7.1 [Re: bmike] #21460 10/20/09 03:04 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline
I believe that the filter will only work for a limited amount of time, too, so that is not a permanent solution.

I try to encourage everyone who uses Sketchup regularly to buy the Pro version. Not only is it the best deal in 3D modeling software on the planet, but it shows Google that people are still very interested in the software and that continuing to develop it is economically important.

In the Sketchup community, it was widely viewed as a negative when google acquired it from @last. There were concerns that Google was going to use it strictly as a easy way to flesh out Google Earth with amateurish 3D models. And when they released such an incredibally powerful free version, there was a huge uproar in the pro community as we began to feel marginalized.

The less than stellar ver 7 upgrade, last year, only added to the fears.

The new ver 7.1 is definitely a step in the right direction. Now that they have added dimensioning to Layout (a 2D construction drawing and presentation software that comes with the pro version) you will never have to use a CAD software again.

I highly recommend checking out the Pro version; we all stand to benefit from Google continuing to support us Pro users.

I, for one, think that Google removing DXF/DWG support from the free version is a sort of market research and that, depending on how many people upgrade, will make decisions about their future support and development of SU.

And it is only $500, which is hard to argue.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users