Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I don't know. can you help? #21441 10/19/09 06:47 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
This is my first post on these forums, and I thought this was an appropriate way to start off, as this is a question that I have recently been struggling with. I spend a lot of time on various forums, primarily 3D modeling, design, and architecture ones, and I don't think I have ever seen a subforum designated strictly to the discussion of whether someone is, or is not, a member of what the forum is set up to discuss. Surprising, but fun, too, when you think about it. So, I'd like to offer myself as an example and I am interested to hear your thoughts.

I have been a builder my entire adult life. I have remodeled derelict structures from the ground up; I have built ridiculous and embarrassing mcmansions; I have worked with, and put together, both round and rectilinear sticks of wood (using both steel and all wood joinery); I have been designing residential structures for 10 years (but not a schooled architect); I am an expert computer 3D modeler (both architectural and organic) and artist. I create HD presentation animations, full construction blueprints, and visualization renderings. I enjoy philosophical discussions concerning construction methodology and design theory. And sometimes, I can drink beer and ramble on for hours.

I have always struggled with how I define myself. Am I a Jack of all Trades, master of none (though pretty darn good at a lot)? Am I just a guy who helps people realize their dreams; a facilitator, if you will? Am I "just" an artist?

At some level, can I consider myself a timberframer? Is Timberframer just another tag I can add to my life byline, or there something more encompassing about being a Timberframer that makes other tags redundant?

Do the tools I choose to use play a role? I have no compunction about using whatever tool makes me more efficient. A construction master instead of a framing square? A 3D computer model instead of a piece of paper and a pencil? A grinder instead of a rabbet plane? A sawzall instead of a hand saw? All fine by me; though I do catch a bunch of grief for the grinder smile

Or is it the design sensibilities brought to bear, or the techniques used that separates a Timberframer from a carpenter/builder? Or is it something more ephemeral; more nebulous? Is there anything that automatically precludes one from being a timberframer? What is the apple from which I should not bite if I want to consider myself a timberframer?

As this subforum is for philosophical musings, I thought it would be fun to hear people's opinions about this. What do I tell a prospective client, that I am a Timberframer who designs, or am I a designer who timberframes.

Or should I just shut up and get to work this lovely Monday afternoon? I do have to figure out how to work a reciprocating floor into the timberframe I am designing right now, and I don't have enough timbers to do what I really want with the space, so now I am struggling with whether I can support a reciprocating timber core with a joist system that doesn't require a ton of interior posts. Maybe I can suspend part of it with steel cables, though does that still count as being reciprocating if I pull all of the load out of it?

*sigh* back to work...

Cheers, Chuck.

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #21443 10/19/09 11:43 PM
R
Ray Gibbs Offline
R
Add "poet" to the trades you are jack of

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #21445 10/20/09 12:07 AM
Thane O'Dell Offline
Chuck
Only you can say if you are a Timber Framer or not.
I for one, who doesn't know you from Adam, am not willing to sit hear and tell you your not. The minute I do that, someone with a lot more experience than me, will tell me the same thing.
Timber Framing is a trade and deserves the respect like any other.
There are a lot of great craftsmen(Timber Framers) that hang out here and you would do well at least listen in on what is being said. Other then that...read, read & read.
Oh, and have fun!

Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #21449 10/20/09 05:13 AM
W
Waccabuc Offline
W
Welcome Chuck,
What's a reciprocating floor?
In the "Fun House" at the county amusement park there were floors that jiggled and tilted and turned into rollers....
Got a picture, a link, or a definition?
Steve

Shine on!
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Waccabuc] #21450 10/20/09 07:23 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Kalispell Montana, McMansion, I can drink beer and ramble on for hours.

Any of this beginning to sound familiar ?

Looking back to see the way ahead !
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Ken Hume] #21451 10/20/09 11:31 AM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I think the cat is out of the bag.

Reciprocating floor? I nearly got sick on the Tower of Terror in Disney Land. I hope you have barf bags handy.

laugh Hardily, Chuck.

Tim

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Ken Hume] #21452 10/20/09 12:42 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Kalispell Montana, McMansion, I can drink beer and ramble on for hours.

Any of this beginning to sound familiar ?

It must be the air up there in Montana......

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Jim Rogers] #21454 10/20/09 01:07 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi guys! I never expected such a nice response, so quickly.

A reciprocating floor is one where no timber spans the overall space; it allows the use of nothing but small timbers to cover a large area. It, frankly, makes me a little nervous, as it only derives it strength from the quality of the notches and can certainly sag over time if not done correctly. With my propensity for overbuilding everything, I will probably wuss out and add some load bearing columns, or some such, just in case.

Here are a couple of examples:

and

dang, Ray, you flatter me. Poet has a nice ring to it. smile

@ Thane: That is exactly the way I think about it, too. No matter what one calls one's self, it really comes down to craftmanship, right? either you "got" it or you don't, no matter the names used.

I try hard to have a theme of hand tailored in my life. Whether it is design, execution, or attitude (bed side manner), I want to provide, for clients, the feeling that they are getting even more than they knew they wanted. If anything, I am probably more of a psychologist than anything else.

I joke that my people skills, and the ability to read between the lines, are probably my two biggest skills; especially since everything else I can do can be learned.

And yes, I read read read.

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: TIMBEAL] #21455 10/20/09 01:09 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
I think the cat is out of the bag.

Reciprocating floor? I nearly got sick on the Tower of Terror in Disney Land. I hope you have barf bags handy.

laugh Hardily, Chuck.

Tim

Hi Tim, good morning.

What is this cat you speak of?

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Jim Rogers] #21456 10/20/09 01:19 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
@ Ken and Jim:

Hi guys, did I miss a post, or something?

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users