Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: brad_bb] #22602 02/09/10 07:22 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, a whole month and no one has anything to say? I though Brad T-ed up a bunch of nice juicy slow pitch lobs that could have gotten smashed out of the park.

Not one thought about process versus result?

Are we all nuts like that?

A refusal to entertain the notion of using glue in structural applications doesn't get any response?

Not one philosophical musing about the futility of pursuing perfection?

No spirited linguistic splitting of hairs?

and most shocking of all, I get called out as a hacker and no one rushes to my rescue? And still with the take me at my word until I prove you wrong garbage. What, you guys want a DNA match and some blood samples?

*sigh*

Brad, I would love to see the cars you work on. I have a lot of respect for the patience it takes to do that at a high level. I spent a lot of time and money on a '72 Bronco, a long time ago, (not restored, but under the hood she was awesome) and I have a small inkling of how much work that takes. Thanks for taking the time to compose a post that raises so many interesting questions. Too bad no one seems to enjoy mental calisthenics here.

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #23008 03/11/10 04:35 AM
brad_bb Offline
Hey Chuck, most of us aren't into drama, we just enjoy timberframe. Things posted in this one dimensional medium can be interpreted many ways depending on where you're coming from. If you talked to me once though, you'd know I am not out to zing or insult anyone. I don't have an ego. As far as the hacker thing, well that comes from the car restoration stuff, and that term is more prevalent there for those who are always taking the hard road and the shortcuts that are really quality cuts. But if you're using a grinder to fit tenons, perhaps we can reform you? I have yet to know of anyone here using a grinder with respect to timber framing. Attend a guild event and maybe pick up some new tips. I know I'm constantly learning new things and incorporating them. I love when I'm wrong and someone shows me a better way. People here are good like that, as Joel said. I don't think there's anything futile about the pursuit of perfection so long as you understand that you can only pursue it, and never achieve it.

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: brad_bb] #23011 03/11/10 12:38 PM
G
Gabel Offline
G
brad

I have used a grinder before on dry woods, especially reclaimed woods. I hate it (dust/noise/vibration) and hope I never do it again, but it does work and sometimes it works better than an edge tool to "pare" off an eighth of a tenon cheek, etc.

I've heard them referred to as power slicks.

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Gabel] #23015 03/11/10 03:01 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Power slick, I like that!

I recently had to cut a bunch of tenons in Hickory; that wood sucks for planing across the grain. A few minutes with the grinder was definitely the quickest, and cleanest, way to clean up the cheeks.

Anyone use the Festool power rabbit plane? I have a buddy who has one and he claims it is his new grinder. $500. I think, but he sure sings it's praises.

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #23088 03/19/10 01:14 AM
brad_bb Offline
Ok, now I know 1, and I respect the Holder Brothers! Maybe I'll end up eating my words when I start cutting into my reclaimed hardwood? We'll see...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users