Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Ken Hume] #21611 10/29/09 03:06 PM
Thane O'Dell Offline
If growing up means that you can't drink beer or ramble then....
I don't want to grow up. grin

Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Joel McCarty] #21612 10/29/09 03:18 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Joel McCarty

Cordless! Y2K Compliant! Energy Star Compliant! Probably Free Range, Organic and Equal Exchange, too.

And can be used for signaling should you get lost!

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Ken Hume] #21613 10/29/09 06:12 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Ken Hume
Kristina,

Methinks that the lady doth protesteth too much.

Ken Hume

WOW! Where did that come from?

Ken, quite frankly, I am shocked by your vitriol; why are you being such a hater?

Do we all need to sing Kum Ba Yah and have a group hug?!

Now, back on topic....

I am tired of clients who tell me they want a design unlike anything they have ever seen, and you go to the trouble of figuring out some crazy new way to skin a cat, and then they get scared about being different and ask for another boring old whatever.

Boring! I would love to have a button I could push that would say that when they disappointed me. I would wear that sucker out some days.

*sigh*... , maybe it's just the low pressure system that has been around for the last couple of weeks, but, sometimes, it's just hard to be enthused.

cheers, chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Become a fan of OTB Designworks on Facebook, we'd love to have you
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Timber Goddess] #21618 10/29/09 10:34 PM
C
cedar Offline
C
It is funny how people come BACK to HAUNT the forum AGAIN!!! Maybe it is the time of TRICK or TREAT. I left the forum to get away from the silliness. But somehow we are being TRICKED and a repeat performance is no TREAT for us. I will fade out again.

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Joel McCarty] #21626 10/30/09 01:22 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Joel McCarty
Simpler and lower tech than lasers . . . from Clark Bremer . . . we have unbreakable mirrors with a hole in the middle.

Sounds improbable, but they work flawlessly to guide your drill in remaining perpendicular to the timber surface.

Cheap, too. http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/midrgu.html

Cordless! Y2K Compliant! Energy Star Compliant! Probably Free Range, Organic and Equal Exchange, too.

Hey, that is a pretty sweet invention; thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #21627 10/30/09 02:07 PM
mo Offline
Here is a good one for centered mortises. I like tricks. Swivel hardware.

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: mo] #21628 10/30/09 05:01 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: mo
Here is a good one for centered mortises. I like tricks. Swivel hardware.

you'd do up the same on the tenon, no, and if slightly wider, you are splitting the difference... so do away with reference faces and all?

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: cedar] #21629 10/30/09 05:01 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
stick around cedar. apparitions are common this time of year...

www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: bmike] #22022 12/11/09 10:29 PM
Chuck Gailey Offline OP
OP Offline
Will timber framers use glue?

What is the accepted view on adhesives? Any distinction between animal and synthetic bonding agents?

Will they glue a shard back together when it tears out while they are drilling?

Will they glue wood together to make laminated timbers?

Will they use super glue to glue the gouge they took out of their hand back together when they mishandled the grinder for a spit second?

Cheers, Chuck

www.otbdesignworks.com

Re: I don't know. can you help? [Re: Chuck Gailey] #22206 01/10/10 03:54 AM
brad_bb Offline
Don't wind these guys up on that past issue Chuck. I'll take you at your word that you are who you say you are, until you prove me wrong.

What makes you a timberframer? Well I've only been at it for 3 years now, and I've helped build 2 frames, and helped raise a total of 4. I've acquired much knowledge to add to my design and engineering and hands on building backround. I consider myself a timberframer as I know I can jump in and build or help build a frame. But besides all that stuff, I think what really makes me one, is my love of the process, and doing the details well. To me, those who just want the end product, the frame or home, are missing the best part, the hands on, the thinking, the building, the attention to detail and wanting it do be done well, even the stuff no one else will ever see. From all the people I've met in the guild so far, that seems to be a common thread. We're all nuts like that. I restore my own classic cars too. When I am actually finished with one, I find it anticlimactic. It's the process I enjoy. For all those people who buy a classic car, or a timberframe home finished, I sort of feel sorry for them, because they've missed the best part. There's a whole different level of appreciation and satisfaction that goes with the process. On the flip side, it can also sometimes take some of the mystery or magic away, but usually the other stuff more than makes up for that.

Yes, I'd use glue to fix a chip out situation if it were something that was going to show, but I'm not going to use it in a structural situation.
A grinder? We have to get you to cut that out. Not sure how you'd even use one in a frame construction. We have these things called chisels. You're sounding like a hacker when you talking about using a grinder. Steve Chappell summed it up best for me when he described timberframing as a "pursuit of perfection and grace." Does that describe you or not?

Last edited by brad_bb; 01/10/10 04:01 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users