Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
An early 20th century barn #21635 10/31/09 06:01 PM
Thane O'Dell Offline OP
OP Offline
I drive past this barn while driving to work. Today I felt I just had to see inside. After locating the owner, who was more than happy to let me in, I got to have a look and take pictures.

I did not expext to see this.
The owner didn't know too much, though he thinks it was built in the early 40s.
The beams are all made from laminated 2x8s & 2x10s. There is no traditional joinery in this barn. Everything is bolted together.
The wall braces I thought are very clever as they eliminate the need for Tie Beams.

Has anyone seen anything like it.

Life is short so put your heart into something that will last a long time.
Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Thane O'Dell] #21639 11/01/09 10:40 AM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
Yes, I've seen barns built this way, it was a common way to do roofs of this style.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Jim Rogers] #21641 11/01/09 03:07 PM
Thane O'Dell Offline OP
OP Offline
I wonder when it was when barns changed from beams and joinery to this style of stick framing. Could it have had to do with the popping up of local saw mills providing sawn lumber which made it easier for the average farmer to build his own barn?
As much as I thought this was a well built barn, I still prefere the Traditional Timber framed, M&T,w/pegs method.

The farm where I'm going deer hunting this week has a Timber Framed barn where we bunk. The Tie Beams in this barn I remember are very low with long dovetailed braces extending up from the Tie to the post. I will get some pictures of this set up as I have only seen this here.

Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Thane O'Dell] #21642 11/01/09 04:49 PM
H
Housewright Offline
H
That barn framing is what replaced timberframing and is known as a plank-frame barn or joist-frame barn. I have been studying everything to do with the word plank and keeping dictionary like entries for the numerous related terms. Below is my draft entry for plank-frame barns. This one is similar to a Shawver plank-frame, but is different with the brace from near the plate into the barn floor area. If you find a name for this design I would like to know what it is.

Plank-frame, planked-frame 1. A name for building framing, especially barns, which developed in the American Mid-West. First patented in 1876 (#185,690) by William Morris and Joseph Slanser of La Rue, Ohio (several other patents followed). Sometimes called a joist frame, rib frame and trussed frame. Built of a “Construction in which none of the material used is larger than 2 inches thick.” (Foster 1922) rather than solid timbers. The reduction in availability of timber for barn building and experience with scantling framing resulted in the development of this lightweight barn framing using planks (“joists”) rather than timbers. Some stated advantages: cheaper, faster, no interior posts needed, use any length lumber, less skill, less lumber (either purchased or self produced), “stronger”, lighter, all lumber can be purchased from a lumber yard, less labor, heavy timber getting scarce. Also, they were often similar to the Jennings barn design of 1879 (patent #218,031) with no tie beam so there were no beams to interfere with a hay fork (horse fork) on a track system (hay carrier) for pitching hay which became popular c. 1877. The gambrel roof shape lends itself to plank truss construction and became the most popular roof type. Plank frame barns were available by mail-order by 1910 from Chicago. Syn joist-frame, Shawver plank-frame and Wing plank-frame. “In large construction, such as barn framing, there are two general systems, the braced, pin-joint frame, made of heavy timbers, and the plank frame, made up of two inch planking, either in the form of the ‘plank truss’ or the ‘balloon frame.’” (Architectural Drawing and Design of Farm Structures, 1915) 2. A mortise-and-tenon timber frame with vertical plank walls set into grooves, rebates, mortises or nailed and/or pinned to the frame. Distinguished from vertical plank wall in having a complete frame with posts. Described by Isham and Brown as being “the rule” in Rhode Island and “common” in Plymouth, MA, but rare in CT. Cf. stave, post-and-plank; en coulisse 3. See plank house for Native American dwellings; 4. Formwork for pouring concrete walls.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Housewright] #21650 11/02/09 02:50 AM
mo Offline
Nice Jim!

"Now we push west! And quickly! Darn where did all the trees go? More houses now! More barns now!"

Industrial Revolution. ""Civilization's" redeemer and the timberframer's downfall"

Last edited by mo; 11/02/09 02:57 AM.
Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Housewright] #21653 11/02/09 03:36 AM
Thane O'Dell Offline OP
OP Offline
Holy Jim, my brain's full now.
The man that showed me the barn is going to try and find out who previously owned it, who knows who built it. Apparently he built many like it in the area.
Anyway, it was a new experience for me so I'm glad I discovered it.
While trying to locate that owner I spoke to a local farmer who had a huge Gambrel roof barn which he said was moved here from the U.S. in 1945 after their original barn burned down. I may return to this farm to have a look at this "American" barn.

Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Thane O'Dell] #21659 11/03/09 12:31 AM
H
Housewright Offline
H
You are welcome.

A good resource for drawings of these barns is to google "farm buildings" in google books.

Jim

The closer you look the more you see.
"Heavy timber framing is not a lost art" Fred Hodgson, 1909
Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Thane O'Dell] #21673 11/03/09 11:59 PM
OurBarns1 Offline
Originally Posted By: Thane O'Dell
I wonder when it was when barns changed from beams and joinery to this style of stick framing. Could it have had to do with the popping up of local saw mills providing sawn lumber which made it easier for the average farmer to build his own barn?
As much as I thought this was a well built barn, I still prefere the Traditional Timber framed, M&T,w/pegs method.

Nice thread. Glad to offer up whatever I can on this topic gleaned from experience examining these buildings here in northern New England.

Like many aspects of timber framing, questions on barns and how they were built is typically based on regional characteristics. The 21st Century is a much more homogenized world. Asking when barns changed from beams an joinery to planks/studs will produce different answers depending on geography and the cultural influences of those in given areas.

They say New England held on to the heavy-timber style methods of building longer than most areas of the US for a couple of reasons: wide availability of long, large diameter stock (that many folks already had growing right on their properties), and a reluctance to embrace "new-fangled" technology.

A quote from “Facts for Farmers,” 1868 reads:

Necessity has done much for the building public by introducing to their favorable notice the balloon style of framing—a style which is not well understood in the old-settled and well-timbered portions of our country

I assume this gambrel is in Ontario where you're located. Not sure how old the settlements and culture date in that region, or the amount of forest cover both past and present.

It stands to reason that Housewright’s awesome definition (nice piece of work Jim!) of “plank frame” references its Midwest origins—a place historically devoid of plentiful building stock and lacking the culture and history of New England’s “old world” connections where TF was born.

Of course 19th Century industrial technology permeated carpentry like many other trades. Sawing lumber into “planks” made for more efficient “standardized material,” (interchangeable parts) as did the mass production of the wire nail that held the planks together.

Important historical events like the Chicago Fire influenced the rise of stud framing as well. The city needed new buildings very quickly following the blaze. Think of a modern day post-hurricane New Orleans. Unskilled laborers (rather than old-time joiners) were put to use w/ hammers, not mallets and chisels, etc.

TF is full of history and culture, which is why I find barns so interesting. TF terminology and technique always seem to trace back to the greater culture and practices of a particular location and demographic.

Ontario has its own history, something I know very little about. The forum is a great way to connect w/ others…all our TF history can be compared and documented.

I’ve not seen a barn like that gambrel here, but they likely exist. In Maine, the gambrel became popular around 1910-1940ish. The gambrels I have seen are chock-full of studding and sawn, common rafter stock, but they still have posts and “bent” configurations, more or less. Instead of pegged frames the M&T joints are fashioned w/ nails.

I, too, am disappointed visiting a barn expecting to find neat old joinery then only to discover it’s pretty modern. In my experience, gambrels here aren’t old enough to have hand-hewn frames.

Don Perkins
Member, TFG

to know the trees...

Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: OurBarns1] #21675 11/04/09 01:43 AM
Thane O'Dell Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Don,
As for barns roofs here, I'd have to say that a 1/3rd to 1/2 have a Gambrel roof. Both types have a midspan beam and common rafter. Until this week I thought all were timber framed. The other thing is that I've never seen a barn with pegged braces.
All I've seen use a sawn 2x4.

Thane

Re: An early 20th century barn [Re: Thane O'Dell] #21676 11/04/09 02:13 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
HI everyone tonight

This is a great thread and about time that barns get their fair share of glances

Over the years I have came to distinguish an old barn mainly by the horizontal (short) boarding. Horizontal sheating necessitated the framing in of vertical studding to support it, and nearly always would be surrounded by a timberframed structure.

Now these timberframe structures varied from very old, to old and fairly old, meaning that everything was hand hewn right down to the braces in the very old, hand hewn timbers and sawn braces, nearly all hand hewn in the old, and only the plates and mud sills were hewn everything else sawn in the fairly old.

These mail order barns were quite popular here in Ontario.

NH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users