Rating: 5
Page 54 of 136 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 135 136
Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: toivo] #21964 12/06/09 01:49 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

Thanks to everyone for all the recent posts and conversation, I have once again been experiencing log in problems but tonight it seems to be working well.

Tovio thanks for the hewing video it verifies what others have told me in reference to the hewing style in that part of the world.

I would not advise anyone to try that style without good instructions though because even a seasoned pro like myself would consider it risky.

It is nice though to see it being practised via the safe medium of the computer screen.

The comments on the quality of sawn boards using various methods of log set up is interesting.

I would just like to comment that in the squaring up process there is always waney edged boards, and I am not so certain that time was taken to cut the edges square using the muley blade,s equipment, I rather think that the waney boards were just taken back to the farm and used up.

Well best of the season to everyone, and if all of you have enjoyed this chatting site please let me know by signing in and posting what subjects you liked the best.

I would really like to hear from you

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: northern hewer] #22006 12/10/09 12:04 AM
T
toivo Offline
T
it looks dangerous doesn't it? balance is like that.

actually it works out pretty good- an instance where the danger is so immediately present that the danger stays in consciousness and you tend not to cut your toes off.

the balance game is only a test on the 4" faces- otherwise it's shuffle shuffle backwards- don't fall off the back of the log though!

zing zing zing and cut where you see

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: toivo] #22007 12/10/09 01:43 AM
D
Don P Offline
D
There might be something to that toivo. I've never tried it but have watched an old tiehack use that technique. I don't use an adze much and keep meaning to get some shinguards but the same focus has worked so far. The tiehack did pull up his pants leg and showed me a terrible adze scar though.
NH,
I didn't want you to think we were ignoring your request. I imagine others are in the same quandry as me, just can't think of where to start, this entire thread has been a pleasure. Best of the season to all!

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Don P] #22010 12/10/09 12:04 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I think, if you need shin guards while adzing you may be using the wrong technique. But there is nothing wrong with a bit of insurance.

Tim

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Don P] #22014 12/11/09 12:37 AM
T
toivo Offline
T
don't people adze between their feet? how would you hit your legs?

i actually feel more comfortable hewing from above than the side- the thing is if the axe glances it moves away from you. standing beside it's coming towards your thigh. the danger is toes with narrow widths. but as per the barefoot japanese hewer (i think it's earlier in this thread -massive and still good!) with a decent size timber it's easy to tuck your toes in. no real danger in dabbing off the log if the worksite is clear.

yes Don- to my understanding toothis was the way that railway ties got done up here. it's about getting it done- i love non-standardized methods. so many ways.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: toivo] #22016 12/11/09 04:15 AM
Will Truax Offline
Nope -

If I'm adzing something I'm standing on ( and that, for me, might be half the time I'm swinging one, I use it as a carpenters tool, to bring small sections to a needed dimension,and never to dress timber to some kinda fakey desired texture - Hewing is an ax thing ) I'm aiming under my foot, and my toes and the handle are the brakes.

Wild overswings are almost impossible, and I've never had a mishap - Also this is not my own thing, not sure where I picked this up, but I am sure it is (or maybe was) an accepted norm.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Will Truax] #22023 12/12/09 01:24 AM
N
northern hewer Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hi everyone tonight:

I agree immensly that using the proper technique the adze will not hit high enough to injure the shins ---but--watch your ankles

My father made a slip and the corner of the adze penetrated through his leather boot and severed the tendon on his ankle, he was one year learning to walk again.

When I told him that I was going to be using the adze in my restoration work , he cautioned me to be very careful and not work when your arms are beginning to tire because it is at that time that accidents can happen.

I always practiced real caution and took short breaks when I felt that my concentration was begining to wane.

I have did alot of hewing and adzing over my career and really had only one scare and that was when I was creating a watering trough using a gutter adze. It happened very quickly as accidents usually do, I slipped and fell forward and the adze handle went down under me turning the blade of the adze upwards, my knee just missed the blade, I was some shook up though and thanked the one above who must have been looking over me.

Thanks to all of you for coming in on this thread it makes for a very interesting and I hope educational read for those that come our way.

As we get closer to the holidays I again would like to say that commentatng on this thread has been one of the greatest highlights of my computing career which by some standards I suppose has not been too lengthy.

Happy holidays to everyone

NH

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: Will Truax] #22158 12/31/09 10:55 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
i'm with you Will on resurfacing sawn timbers. that said, it's nice to put an adze over an axe-hewn face for a last pass, that or a slick, mostly to clean up any scoring marks, but also just to have a last go over. and they're both light tools, so it's a pleasant change of pace for the body.

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: toivo] #22159 12/31/09 11:26 PM
T
toivo Offline
T
also i love the idea that's been tossed around of cleaning up faces with a scrub plane. any historical precedents for such a process on hewn timbers NH?

Re: historic hewing questionnaire [Re: toivo] #22160 01/01/10 12:51 AM
Dave Shepard Offline
I was taught to brace the handle of the adze against my leg. This really reduces the chance of an injury. I've seen that technique in an old Audels book from the '20's.

Member, Timber Framers Guild
Page 54 of 136 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 135 136

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users