Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Kevin Rose] #22463 01/31/10 05:37 PM
C
Chris Hall Offline
C
Kevin, fellow framers,

I don't work in the same tradition as most of the people here, therefore some of my comments may be of limited usefulness; all the same I thought I would offer them. Please excuse my presumption in that regard.

There is some use of housed dovetail joints in Japanese timber work- let's say it is one option at least - however, like most of the people posting ahead of me, I agree it is an inferior joint option in most if not all circumstances.

The dovetail promises something it really can't deliver, most especially when green timber is used. You might say that the dovetail joint has excellent branding, but like the New Coke, perhaps, doesn't quite deliver on what it appears to be selling.

The 'promise' is that the dovetail will act to keep together the girts or beams in between which it ties, that is, resist tension. It also offers convenience in assembly.

It doesn't deliver on these promises for a variety of reasons:

- in green timber, one can expect shrinkage in service, especially in that first 1~2 years as the building dries out. The performance of the dovetail is absolutely dependent upon a tight fit of the tenon cheeks to the mortise side walls (which are end grain, largely). As the timbers shrink, the tenon will shrink disproportionately more across the width of the joist than the mortise will (in that same direction as the joist) due to their grain orientation. The slightest shrinkage however, and the fit is loose, and with it the mechanical 'benefits' of the joint are largely gone. A joint with slop allows easy movement and is more likely to fail than a joint which maintains a tight on-going fit between surfaces.

- even if one is using dry timber, the dovetail joint is problematic in terms of what it is supposed to do. If in the life of the building there is ever some sort of spreading load moving the floor girts/beams in the frame apart from one another and the joists with their dovetail tenons are thereby loaded, what happens is that the end grain walls in the dovetail mortise, which are harder and less compressible than the side/face grain surfaces of the dovetail cheeks, will simply crush the sides of the tenon as it tries to withdraw. Even if the load on the frame is not tending to fully separate the involved pieces, or is seasonal/occasional, the crushing of the side grain when load is applied causes the tenon cheeks to take a compression set, and thus the fit is worsened anyway.

Further, after a small amount of shrinkage in the tenon, most of which will be manifest at the fat end of the dovetail and less at the neck of the dovetail, the only portion of the mortise which will be doing anything is the sharp corner at its narrow end, and this small amount of material can fail in tension perpendicular to grain. Some woods are particularly vulnerable to such loads, Douglas Fir being one example.

Unfortunately, despite all appearances, the single dovetail tenon really offers limited resistance to withdrawal - worse than most other joinery options for that type of connection at least.

- a further negative about this form of joint is that it does not exploit the neutral axis of the receiving timber, but rather chops excessive material out of a critical compression surface (the top of the girt/receiving beam), and I say this especially when the dovetail tenon connection is compared to another relatively poor joint, the drop-in joist. A much better connection, in terms of the neutral axis issue, for cases where the joist and beams are flush with one another is the tusk tenon, though it is not so overtly convenient for frame assembly. That 'convenience' however really boils down to design, in terms of how the frame will be assembled, and I would say as well that in-service long term performance of the frame trumps a few extra hours here and there during the brief assembly process.

I imagine many people might choose a dovetail tenon for its apparent convenience when it comes to assembly, in that the joist can be installed after the surrounding frame members are installed. However, given that fact that it offers no real structural performance advantage, is not really going to do much to resist tension loads, that it weakens the receiving timber excessively (or requires that the receiving timber be up-sized to compensate, which is wasteful), comparing the two connections the drop in simple housed connection is to be preferred.

Additionally, the drop-in joist may be strengthened to give it reasonable tension-resisting performance by the addition of an angled timber screw or two.

If I might offer some design points...

The dovetail can be improved somewhat, in my view, by a few modifications, though I would, personally, still avoid it.

The drier the wood the better, the longer the tenon the better, and the narrower the tenon the better (to a point!). A wider dovetail, as is often illustrated in books, will shrink more across the width of the timber than a narrower dovetail will shrink. To give an example from outside the Western (er, North American) tradition, a Japanese dovetail on a floor joist, say on a 6" wide timber, might be 1/5 ~ 1/4 the width, or 1.2" ~1.5". A longer dovetail (I mean in the vertical orientation) offers more surface area and potential strength than a shorter one, however this approach would normally be paired with a joist that was deeper in section than width (as is structurally logical considering the vertical load that floor timbers are meant to resist).

A longer dovetail lends itself also to tapering, so that the fit tightens as the joist is lowered. This fact can be exploited, in some instances, by having the assembled joist sit slightly proud of the receiving beam, so that drying in service will cause it to shrink and drop down into a flush position with the surrounding beam, and still be reasonably snug in fit (one of course would need to consider the floorboard fastening situation carefully if this was the plan).

The wedged dovetail. This somewhat offsets the shrinkage problem described earlier, by pre-compressing the wood in the tenon, however, as an earlier poster pointed out, the wedge cannot be easily accessed after the floor goes on above it, so it is only useful for the period up to the floor going on, and in most cases that is a short time interval and the frame will have hardly done any drying. As far as mechanical performance goes, the wedging only adds very slightly, again by compressing the side grain of the tenon, to any hope that the joist's dovetail will resist withdrawal. Further, in order for the wedge to achieve an evenly-tight fit against the dovetail tenon cheeks, it would be better practice to slightly taper the opening (i.e., the tenon cheek and/or the mortise wall) into which the wedge is to be driven, along with tapering the wedge itself, and this adds time and cost to the work, and if the cut out is not really clean, it only increases the odds of the joint having less-than-ideal mechanical performance.

A better reason to use the wedged dovetail tenon, in my view at least, is that it allows for a horizontal assembly - the joist can be slid in along its length and then wedged, rather than dropped in. In some circumstances, this might offer a handy solution to a frame-raising difficulty (say some place where there was inadequate vertical clearance to drop any timber into place on a beam). However, that said, the dovetail joint is still better avoided and the design of the frame thought out so as to not require such joints.

As far as using a connection for floor framing which needs, for some reason, to resist tension, then a better option, in my opinion (and with the given that the situation will allow it, considering building/floor/ceiling height issues, etc), is to put the joists on top of the beams/girts (again, as another framer pointed out previously in this thread), and employ some form of partial cogged lap joint, with the halves secured to one another with a timber screw (or with a wooden connection if desired). That's likely to be the strongest connection, and is simple and quick to cut out, as an added benefit. If the floor joists must be flush with their receiving timbers, then the tusk tenon is the suggested choice in most instances. My $0.02

the Carpentry Way (my blog)

My blog on carpentry practice, East and West:

https://thecarpentryway.blog
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Chris Hall] #22464 01/31/10 06:37 PM
brad_bb Offline
Very well put, Chris!

Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Chris Hall] #22465 01/31/10 07:38 PM
mo Offline
Here, Here, Chris.

Will, not coined by me, just trying to resurrect the term.

Galloping: Although the exact meaning of the term is not entirely clear, it probably referred to a framing member that rests or rides over the top of another framing element, such as a bridging joist over a binding one or a common rafter carried on the back of a purlin.

1711 The joists of a courthouse were "to be all galloping joyce." Talbot Co, Md., Land Records Book No. 12

1790 Framing at Hampton in Baltimore, County, Maryland, included "6 sqr 88 feet of galoping joice framing." MHM, 33.

Source: see below

For my fellow bookworms: An Illustrated Glossary of Early Southern Architecture and Landscape. The amount of research that went into this glossary is remarkable.

p.s. is something amiss with the wiki glossary?

Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: brad_bb] #22466 01/31/10 07:46 PM
Kevin Rose Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, gang, you've given some great arguments here. I can't say enough about how much I appreciate it. I've revised the plans to use dovetails and now plan to use a tenon such as in the drawing below. (The cogged joint that had been suggested would take up too much of the already limited room in the loft.) Below are the dimensions I've sketched up. I'm taking much less wood out of the tie, and none out of the top of the beam.

Do you see anything amiss with my dimensions from a strength standpoint?

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Kevin Rose] #22468 01/31/10 09:01 PM
R
Roger Nair Offline
R
Kevin, you are on the right track, to further refine the joint to maintain beam strength, center the mortise on the centerline of the beam face and to augment bearing capacity of the tenon abut the shoulder cut with a diminishing haunch. Another consideration is to limit the reduction in the joist by no more than one quarter of the joist height.

Last edited by Roger Nair; 01/31/10 09:06 PM.
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Roger Nair] #22469 01/31/10 09:27 PM
Kevin Rose Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Roger Nair
to further refine the joint to maintain beam strength, center the mortise on the centerline of the beam face

I thought about that, but I worried about not leaving enough wood between the tenon and the bottom of the beam. Is there a recommended minimum dimension in that direction? (My sketch shows 3.5" and I've seen both 3" and 2.5" referred to.)

Last edited by Kevin Rose; 01/31/10 09:35 PM.

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Kevin Rose] #22471 01/31/10 10:36 PM
T
TIMBEAL Offline
T
I would reduce the thickness of the tenon to 1-1/2", using a 3/4" haunch, the bottom of the mortice placed at 4". My reason for 1-1/2" mortice/tenon is they are easier to cut as you are removing even less wood. The haunch gives meat above the tenon.

I heard a well know engineer say you can go to within 2" of the bottom of the timber. I still like to leave a reasonable amount of stock below the mortice.

Do you have a plan on how it will assemble?

Tim

Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: TIMBEAL] #22472 01/31/10 10:55 PM
Kevin Rose Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: TIMBEAL
Do you have a plan on how it will assemble?

Tim,

Lots of hands smile

~Kevin Rose
Northern Vermont
Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: Kevin Rose] #22474 02/01/10 04:09 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
Kevin,

I too have never used dovetail joists. And I would 2nd or 3rd Roger and Tim's comments. I used all tusk tenons once on a frame (with 5 or 6 black birch log floor joists), and it required a lot of strong people.

And Chris,
Your dovetail commentary reminded me of a question I had on the traditional Japanese joinery for the tie beam to plate connection (which I believe is often dovetailed). I started a new thread in the Japanese forum.

Brad

Re: Dovetail variables - feedback requested [Re: timberwrestler] #22508 02/02/10 06:37 PM
Will Truax Offline

Tim – I think this might pay off my 2¢ debt. I was alluding to capturing some of the moment through the decking and the raised connecting girt it is fastened to, literally augmenting the Tyeing Joint by creating a viable quantifiable load path in this adjacent system by designing the joinery (hence the barefaced) and placing well fastened (to the girts) continuous decking to do so.

We were forced to throw just this into the quotient, in the historic replication of a 16 X 30 herb drying shed at the area Shaker Village a few years back.( the smaller building pictured here in the 2nd image down http://www.galenfrysinger.com/new_hampshire_shaker_farm.htm ) It had been sold off and removed in the declining years of Shaker population. Archaeological excavations confirmed it's footprint, photographs its architectural details and high kneewall, a village wide survey of all framing its likely joinery and configuration..

We had to keep tweaking things to make the calcs and the FEA model work.. Upsized the posts to 9 X 12, nice low collars on the rafters (requiring ducking for some but convenient for hanging herbs - The CSV is an island of common rafters in an ocean of common purlins, the original crew of Shaker carpenters came in from a NY village) and finally adding the continuous decking.

In the last sentence I am suggesting that there will be unobstructed access to the wedge because the flooring will be above it. I always wedge a dovetail tenon from the interior (making it deeper than the floor is thick if need be) to be able to properly snub them up as the frame seasons.

Mo - Even better, establishing etymology by citing historical usage, is great stuff !

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users