Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
SketchUp with Mac Magic Mouse/MagicPrefs #22561 02/07/10 04:38 PM
P
Peter Schiller Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I want to start using SketchUp on my 13" MacBook running OS X 10.6.2. I don't have a mouse yet. It seems like most people who have tried out the new Magic Mouse really like it, unless they are doing 3D modeling, because it lacks a middle mouse button. Magic Mouse doesn't actually have any buttons - the entire top surface of it is touch sensitive like a track pad. It sounds like MagicPrefs (freeware) gives you the ability to configure the Magic Mouse for middle button clicks, among other things:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/magicprefs.html

Have any Mac/SketchUp users out there tried out the Magic Mouse? If so, any chance you've used MagicPrefs with it? If you're not a fan of the Magic Mouse (or haven't used it), what do you recommend?

Any helpful tidbits for getting started in SketchUp on the Mac? I have a copy of SketchUp for Dummies and the SketchUp article that was in TF #94.

Thanks.

Pete Schiller
Freedom, NH

Re: SketchUp with Mac Magic Mouse/MagicPrefs [Re: Peter Schiller] #22565 02/07/10 07:06 PM
daiku Offline
I don't know about the mac, but I find the key to being productive on Skethcup is the ability to quickly navigate with the mouse. You press and hold the middle button to orbit, and roll teh scroll wheel to zoom in and out. You prefrom these operations constantly, and if your mouse doesn't do that easily, you'll be severely handicapped. But another option comes to mind, which is the space navigator from 3D connexion. You use it in your left hand to navigate the model. That might be a good companion for the mouse you have your eye on. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: SketchUp with Mac Magic Mouse/MagicPrefs [Re: daiku] #22573 02/07/10 11:35 PM
P
Peter Schiller Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I wasn't familiar with the SpaceNavigator, that's a great suggestion. User comments seem to indicate that once you get past its lousy configuration software, the SpaceNavigator is a really slick tool and well made piece of hardware.

I'm still curious to hear from some Mac users. I don't think I've touched a mouse in almost two years; I've just been using the trackpad on the MacBook. What intrigues me about the Magic Mouse is that its top surface is essentially a multi-touch trackpad.

I really wasn't looking to spend $69 on a mouse and another $95 on a 3D navigator though. I realize that the cheap way out is to just get a 3-button mouse.

Pete Schiller
Freedom, NH

Re: SketchUp with Mac Magic Mouse/MagicPrefs [Re: Peter Schiller] #22580 02/08/10 01:21 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Peter Schiller

Any helpful tidbits for getting started in SketchUp on the Mac?

Shameless promotion - but you could take the SketchUp class @ Heartwood this spring...

http://www.heartwoodschool.com/coursefr.html

smile

Last edited by bmike; 02/08/10 01:22 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users