Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: Mark Davidson] #22735 02/20/10 05:42 AM
M
maurice poulin Offline
M
Hi Mark,
Your absolutely right, farm tractors can be a good option. A farm tractor with forks has been on mind for quite sometime. In the past I discounted it due to the limitations it would have in comparison to a skid steer with all it's attachments etc. My serious lack of money will not allow me to have rich taste. I'm located in the Kaministiquia valley which is west of Thunder Bay, ON. We tend to refer to ourselves as living on an island as we're either 8-10 hours from another city. Even though we've actually been in a recession for six years now used machinery just keeps going up in price. The farming community is relatively small. To find any breaks you have to go to Winnipeg, Minneapolis MN US or down your way either central or S-ON along with the cost of shipping or trailering it back.

Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: daiku] #22736 02/20/10 06:01 AM
M
maurice poulin Offline
M
Hi Clark,

Yes, I did consider building a beefier timber cart and have been thinking about a gantry type all-terrain rig on four wheels/2 axles that I could push around the yard to timber piles. The problem isn't necessarily moving around the gravel terrain with the cart but loading and unloading timbers from the pile and getting them into the shop, test fitting and ground assembly by myself. I have a lot of friends but they're getting old, lazy and never around when I want favour returned.

On another topic Clark, I've been wanting to ask you if you'd be interested in teaching a two day course in timber frame joinery desing using google sketchup for beginners at North House Folk School in Grand Marais. If so, how do we make it happen. Interest is there as no one is teaching it in northern Minnesota and NW Ontario.

Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: maurice poulin] #22770 02/23/10 01:57 PM
daiku Offline
Just got back from North House yesterday. I'd be willing, but you should start by contacting the school. Ask for Greg Wright.

Regarding getting timber on/off the cart, you'll be surpised a what you can accompish using fulcrums near the center of the timber. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: daiku] #22771 02/23/10 03:25 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
I used a garden cart / wagon (4 wheeled) on the last frame I solo cut. When timber arrived I carefully staged materials with a rented 4x forklift (to get things off the truck). I made some oak stickers / levers that I used and 80% of the timber was moved in and out of the shop on my own.

I was working in a 3 bay shop. Outside of the end bay had all my major timber in 4 piles stacked 2 to a side, about chest high (higher for the smaller stuff). Tarped as needed. timber cart could be rolled out between the piles and I could pull materials in and out as needed.

It took some planning - but I would move timber in, layout and join in the end bay, then slide over to the middle bay for oiling / finishing. Timbers would then roll out and be stacked - either back on the original bunks, or into a finish pile and tarped. Was even able to handle some 8x16x26' sticks by myself...

Amazing what you can move with some levers, stickers, and balance points.

I really wanted one of those bicycle wheel carts... never had the time to make one up.

This is what I used to good success - removed the sides and bolted down some softwood blocks: (mine was yellow, picked up from a local garden center)

Handle was just left up between sticks (I'd often bring in 2 sticks at a time). I had a pretty straight shot in - and with the handle up I still had some steering capability when I needed to move things to a further away finish pile...

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: bmike] #22780 02/24/10 01:54 AM
brad_bb Offline
Mike, that is funny, it may have worked, but is funny. I can see you as a kid pulling your little red wagon with 8X8X16' timber in it.
I do think the 50's and 60's tractor with forklift on it is one of the best low end options right now. I am considering one myself. I have completely restored two antique tractors from the 50's(to mow with), so I'm looking at one of the same make and era as I already know how to work on it.

On a funny note, don't you wish you had one of those loaders from the movie "Aliens"? That would be awesome to move timbers with!

Someone is actually working on it here:
A real aliens loader

Re: all-terrain motorized, walk-behind fork lift? [Re: brad_bb] #22781 02/24/10 04:54 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Then you'd need to add a chain mortiser, laser level, drills with various bits, planer, router, etc. etc. Maybe some VR goggles for looking at the SketchUp model... and we'd go back to that whole 'CNC vs old skool' debate.

And if we go there, I'm taking my wagon and going home. wink

But yes, old tractors work well. We used an old (John Deer maybe?) model with some very limited forks that were attached to a bucket once to move some barn timbers. Just enough to get the job done, which is all you can ask for.

If you want to get into tight spaces - check this out:

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users