Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
saw guides #22846 02/28/10 12:04 AM
D
Devin Smith Offline OP
OP Offline
D
What is your favorite type of saw guide? I've looked at various contraptions, from protractor types to clamp on aluminum do-dads that seem like they would be good for gang cutting. Then of course there are the german ones-- most seem to be useful only if you have a german saw, though mafell does make a "universal" one-- looks like a big protractor.

The sticky thing with all of these devices seems to be the attachment system. I've used a protractor and some Irwin squeeze clamps to pretty good effect when cutting difficult joints with my linearlink chain beam saw-- you can get a very nice finish this way, though its hard to set up accurately. Does anyone have the Mafell universal guide? How does it attach (or does it at all)? Does it work well? Worth the pricetag?

Do you have a device or system that works well? Please share.

Re: saw guides [Re: Devin Smith] #22853 02/28/10 02:09 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
On S4S materials I've used something similar to this (without the fancy markings, etc...) (can't find the model that I have...)

http://www.eemersontool.com/Home.html

Granted these are for cuts perpendicular to the timber... and not at an angle. For compound / angle cuts I've clamped an aluminum angle on - or just used my eyes and hands.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users