Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
alaskan yellow cedar #226 06/30/02 05:01 AM
E
eric arden Offline OP
OP Offline
E
my partner and i are getting ready to build our house soon. our original plan was to use local doug fir for the frame. however an oppurtunity to use yellow cedar, and at a better price than the fir, has come along..local opinion about timber framing with yellow cedar is all over the map. none of the books i've found list alaskan yellow cedar in their charts. i love yellow cedar and think it would be a joy to live with but i'm a little concerned about building with it. any input would be appreciated. eric

Re: alaskan yellow cedar #227 07/02/02 11:20 PM
N
Newbiemy Offline
N
[QUOTE]Originally posted by eric arden:
eric,
Same problem as I have following all this. "Cedar" is a generic (ancient) name that covers everything from Arborvitae to true cedar to juniper. Can you find the latin name of the species? It would really help the rest of us look it up in books then...?

Re: alaskan yellow cedar #228 07/03/02 12:55 PM
C
cabowen Offline
C
Alaskan yellow cedar is a close relative of the Port Orford Cedat and Atlantic White cedar. Most of the Alaskan yellow cedar goes to Japan, where it is used as a close substitute for Hinoki, its closest japanese variety. This wood has been prized in Japan for thousands of years for building shrines and temples, baths, and the homes of the wealthy. It is very resistant to rot, easy to work. I am also looking into building a home, and Alaskan yellow cedar was one of my first choices, as I plan to build a Japanese style timber frame home. Unfortunately, the sources I found all wanted a lot more than I am looking to spend. If you can get it for a reasonable price, I would seriously consider it....How lucky you are!

Re: alaskan yellow cedar #229 07/07/02 08:12 AM
K
Ken Hume Offline
K
Chamaecyparis Nootkatensis !

This is a cyprus and not really a true cedar.
It is much denser (31 lbs/cuft) than Western Red Cedar (23 lbs). It has excellent strength and wear properties and is resistant to decay.

A frame made from this wood might be something to behold.

Ken Hume

Looking back to see the way ahead !

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users