Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Broad ax technique and handles #230 07/06/02 03:23 AM
J
John Milburn Offline OP
OP Offline
J
When hewing timbers what angle should the ax cut in relation to a horizional plain. I have found that I get a fairly smooth surface if the ax cuts at a 45 degree angle. I have raised my log up to a more comfortable height but the ax is cuting more parrallel with the horizional plain or top of log producing a slightly rougher finish. I have made two different handles one oval in shape and the other more octagonal, slightly fater, and seem to have better control.I have found that a 18" long handle seems to work well. I have a 3" offset and a slight upward curvature to the end of the handle. Would I get better results with the handle curvature downwards. Any help or hints would be appreciated, Thanks John..

Re: Broad ax technique and handles #231 07/07/02 02:07 AM
N
northern hewer Offline
N
Hi John:
I will draw on my years of experience demonstrating the art of traditional hewing at UCV to try and answer your questions. No doubt many will disagree with my comments but that is their perrogative to do so, and I welcome their comments.
First of all if you are using an 18 inch handle, in my opinion you are living alittle dangerous. As you work with a handle of that length the blade is a bit too close to the side of your legs, and if it glances sideways, which inevitably it will, it happens so fast your reflexes will not be able to stop it before damage is done. If you were a student of mine you would be using a handle of about 28 inches in length including the head of the axe. This will put the axe out in front of your feet, but you will still need to practice caution as you work, and take regular rest periods to maintain control.
The shape of the handle is another thing to take into account. I always used an oblong shaped handle, one that I could just close my hand comfortably around. It is imperative that your hand closes-- too big a handle will cause the muscles in your hand to tire out , and you will not be able to maintain a good grip which is important in the control of the stroke of the axe. Everyone has different shaped and size of hands so your handle will have to reflect the size of your hand as it grips.
I always give my handle a slightly upward curve, (never down), and when you hang the handle in the head of the axe, try and position it so that the cutting edge of the blade is parallel with centre of the log as you position yourself is a cutting stance. That way you can hold up a bit to give a slight bit of an angled cut or downward if need be in some instances.
It will take some time for you to feel comfortable with the handle and the axe itself. I suggest choosing an axe that is not too heavy or wide (10" max), and one that has a nice ring to the steel, and forged behind the inset tool steel edge and shows character and care on the part of the manufacturer.
I hope this helps you john and if you need additional help I have a home video of my hewing that might help you continue safely, --good luck, and have fun!!
NH

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users