Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
why the geographic exclusion? #23174 03/31/10 03:24 AM
T
toluca Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Where are the timber frame / home shows in LA, the world's largest luxury home market? (there are NONE) Where are the local timber frame companies? (companies commute from Ventura to build in LA) As the home of the tv industry and the home of countless 1930s era timber frames (Pasadena alone must have 100+) when will the 'elderly home' shows do a single episode on LA's timber frames? (they could fill a season's worth of shows, easily)

I don't get it; this market has more home owners that are totally immune from larger economic conditions than anywhere on earth; the old home stock is surprisingly large considering that tearing down million dollar homes is considered sport here; and LA is probably home to more 4000sf, 2 bedroom, 5 bath custom homes than anywhere - why has the timber frame industry completely avoided this market?

To attend a 'raising' my nearest option is either Oregon or some wealthy suburb of San Francisco. Las Vegas or Denver are the closest home shows with ANY timber frame exhibits. Was there are terrible fight between the timber framers and the adobe builders with the timber framers banished forever from LA?

Re: why the geographic exclusion? [Re: toluca] #23175 03/31/10 04:02 AM
B
bub4e Offline
B
I assume it would be more probable that timber framers have banished L.A.

Most timber frame companies require large amounts of space, and that comes at a high price. I don't think that most timber frame companies can justify the cost as easily as other types of builders who require less space and push out higher volumes.

Since most timber frames are cut and fit off-site it may be more practical to just ship the frame ready to be assembled.

I am sure that some builders do use timber frame companies to supply them, but probably all they want is trimber anyways.

Another issue could be seismic activity and the requirements an engineer would place on a structure, maybe?

Re: why the geographic exclusion? [Re: bub4e] #23185 03/31/10 07:50 PM
T
toluca Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The seismic situation might be an issue for a company coming in from New England, but any company that has worked on the west coast should be familiar with the unique requirements of building in quake country.

I don't have it with me, but a book I just borrowed from the library actually has a chapter / case study of a timber frame built in California, with descriptions and sketches of the unique design elements utilized to meet seismic codes. (I'll post the book title / author info later)

But none of this explains the complete lack of any timber frame companies at any home shows within 3 hours of the largest home market in the USA??? The LA Convention Center and the Pacific Design Center are constantly booked with home design shows /exhibits / conferences. But the Timber Frame world never makes an appearance...

Last edited by toluca; 03/31/10 07:53 PM.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, milton 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users