I got my back, back in shape and am getting ready to tackle my barn repair. My brother-in-law and I made a deal to help each other repair our barns. His is part log and part frame. I have hewed a new log and put it in place but on the frame part he wants to use a 50 ton hydraulic jack to lift the post some how and make a form to pour cement in to build up to good wood. He had done this before years ago and it seemed to work but the cows going in and out have wore the wood down above the cement and the post needs to be straighten and raised. I have told him about the danger I read about with using that type of jack . What do you think about using a big steam engine jack ? and what do you think of the cement fix it is about 2 1/2 foot square at the base and tapers up to about 1 foot where the post sits on. Do you think a chin wrapped around the log would hold to lift it or something nailed to the post bottom or both ? What kind of jack is best I have the steam engine jack and an old car screw type jack where the base folds out like a tepee and a high lift jack or where can I get a proper jack the one old barn builder who offered me the loan of his jack has it built from a 4 foot tall hydraulic jack that uses a chain that wraps around the log and I wouldn't be able to use it on my brother in laws barn as he is very careful where it go's and it will take some time. As I will need to use it a lot and there is no one around here that works on frame barns I would be willing to invest in a good jack If I could I would hire a pro but I don't have that option. Thanks GT.