Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lumber grading and building inpector #26202 04/14/11 10:41 AM
Will Truax Offline

Fineline - What sort of changes clause do you have in the contract? It seems to me you have demonstrated due diligence, and that this development was not predictable, and should reasonably be able to negotiate a change order.

It would also seem that in the end, inspection will be far less costly, monetarily, schedule and aggravation wise.

I can vouch for TPI, they stepped in for us once when disputes over grade became heated and another grading agency bowed out, mid-situation, just to avoid the controversy. I also know of no other grading agency which will grade in-situ, and both historic existing framing, and "notched" timber.

"We build too many walls and not enough bridges" - Isaac Newton

http://bridgewright.wordpress.com/

Re: Lumber grading and building inpector #26205 04/15/11 01:47 AM
G
Greysteil Offline
G
KBLanier,
Can you share how much it costs to maintain your shop's certification?

I can also vouch for TP Inspections, I've taken their grader training course in GA. Lots of good info from knowledgeable folks.

One of my area inspectors has allowed an engineer to grade timbers, this was discussed in advance. Actually that discussion has evolved over about a decade during which time I trained, complained and educated. This was the solution we are both as close to ok with as we're going to get. Another will allow ungraded, another requires grading by an accredited agency. I'm going to disagree Will. It is predictable and due diligence to know the code and to assume the letter of the law will be enforced. Ask in advance if they will allow something less. It sucks and you have my sympathies, but there it is. If there is a sharing of the bill it would be with the engineer, it sounds as though he "assumed" as well.

Several New England states have native lumber laws which allow self grading for residential. The time is coming where timbers will have to be graded before and after notching, those wheels are in motion.

Re: Lumber grading and building inpector [Re: Greysteil] #26219 04/16/11 03:32 PM
K
KBLanier Offline
K
I don't pay the bills so I don't have the numbers off the top of my head. I do know that there is a minimum base charge and the rest is based on volume reported. Basically the more you play the more you pay. I'll check with the book keeper and get that information and post it.

Re: Lumber grading and building inpector #26220 04/16/11 03:55 PM
Joel McCarty Offline
Thanks, Kevin

Looking forward to understanding this system better.

Re: Lumber grading and building inpector [Re: Greysteil] #26366 05/04/11 03:01 PM
K
KBLanier Offline
K
Sorry for the delay. The price is 1 cent a board foot or $200 whichever is greater billed monthly. I don't think we have ever exceeded 20,000 bdft in a month so we pay the minimum of $200.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users