Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
patch beam question #23489 05/03/10 04:58 PM
B
Barnmover Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a 20' span I need to install an 8" X 8" X 20'3" beam in between. I don't enough room left on the beam for a proper mortis and tennon joint. I do have enough room for a shoulder on each side. It is on the end of the building with no siding and I have full access to the outside and front of the joint. I am considering cutting a shoulder on each side. I was then considering counter sinking a steel plate with holes for a (3) 1/2" thick lag and pulling the shoulder into the beam using a the lag bolts.

I think of it as using a big lag bolt and washer to pull the oak beam into the shoulder. Has anyone succeeded with a repair like this? I was wondering if the building moving with the wind would be enough to loosen the lag bolt?

Picture posting:
Is there a post with instructions on how to do this? I think I need to have the pictures posted on the internet somewhere to allow linking to it. Is there a way to upload the picture into the post directly?

Re: patch beam question [Re: Barnmover] #23490 05/03/10 10:25 PM
J
Jim Rogers Online Confused
Online Confused
J
No way that I know of to upload directly.
You need to find a picture hosting site and upload it there and then post the link here.
Good luck.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Re: patch beam question (now with pictures) [Re: Barnmover] #23498 05/05/10 04:48 PM
B
Barnmover Offline OP
OP Offline
B

I have a 20' span I need to install an 8" X 8" X 20'3" beam in between. I don't enough room left on the beam for a proper mortis and tennon joint. I do have enough room for a shoulder on each side. It is on the end of the building with no siding and I have full access to the outside and front of the joint. I am considering cutting a shoulder on each side. I was then considering counter sinking a steel plate with holes for a (3) 1/2" thick lag and pulling the shoulder into the beam using a the lag bolts.

I think of it as using a big lag bolt and washer to pull the oak beam into the shoulder. Has anyone succeeded with a repair like this? I was wondering if the building moving with the wind would be enough to loosen the lag bolt?

Clairification:

The rear wall is in the construction process. I have added and pinned the beam to the far left edge. The right side has not been installed yet. Below is the beam I want to use. It already has the center drilled and mortised for the center support (not shown). The real problem is the ends (see below).

Both ends have "mortise" where I need "tenon". I want to keep the orientation of beam so I am somewhat limited. I was thinking of cutting it almost flush and cutting a into the side of the building's beam about 1/4" deep and 8" X 8" to form a indented shelf (I am sure there is word for it). I would then raise the 20' beam into position and pull the beam into the shelf with lag bolts. The lag bolts would be installed parallel to the grain. I have some 1/2" by 16" lag bolts. I would install a plate to spread the load out on the existing beam. Any thoughts about the lag bolts loosening up or pulling out? I have never seen this done and I wonder if there is a reason why.

Note: Please excuse the post quality, I am still learning the software.

Re: patch beam question (now with pictures) [Re: Barnmover] #23499 05/06/10 12:50 PM
brad_bb Offline
Since you can not post pics, can you sketch what you are talking about and post it? A bit hard to understand from the description. Additionally, where are you from? In your profile, there is a spot so it will show where you are from on the left side of each post. It helps, in case you are nearby someone and they can help etc. Someone might have a better piece of material you need to do the proper mortise and tenon etc.

Re: patch beam question [Re: Barnmover] #23502 05/06/10 05:21 PM
B
Barnmover Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am going to attach post B into the existing post A on the left. I will drill a plate (in red) on the outside of post A and insert 2 or more lag bolts (in white)and pull post B into post A. I will cut in a "shelf" (pictured in blue)and Post B will be drawn into the "shelf" in Post A. I didn't photo shop in the left side, but I want to use the same plan.

I am located near Bowling Green, OH. I will update my profile as time permits.

Re: patch beam question [Re: Barnmover] #23504 05/06/10 09:16 PM
B
bub4e Offline
B
Your drawing helps quite a bit, but in the future a "post" refers to a vertical timber and a "beam" refers to a horizontal timber.

As far as your plans, its not a good idea. Screws or lag bolts have no reliable strength when screwed straight into end grain. You would be better off toe-screwing the lag bolts from top of the beam into the post. Your idea of using the "shelf" or shoulder cut into the post is a good idea and should be kept.

I would suggest using a free-tenon, since you don't have the length for real tenons. In conjunction with the free-tenons, the shoulder is a must and the lag bolts toe screwed wouldn't hurt.

good luck

Re: patch beam question [Re: bub4e] #23508 05/07/10 01:06 PM
brad_bb Offline
I agree with bub4e, screwing into endgrain (screwing parallel to the grain) is never a good idea. Very low holding power and more prone to pull out. A shoulder is a good idea. By free tenon, I'm assuming he means a 1.5 inch long tenon on each end with no peg. This will key the beam into the posts and prevent horizontal movement perpendicular to the bent. A free tenon would be better than no tenon. Another option instead of toe screwing and free tenon is to use a spline.

In your case, you'd peg the spline in the post and beam. Use something strong and stable for the spline, Walnut, white oak etc. This would be a more elegant solution, and would avoid the use of metal hardware. Steel and wood don't really mix over the long term, in oak especially. The acidity will corrode the metal hardware and rot the wood surrounding the screw over the long term. Timberloks, which you may be thinking of using, are better in that they are epoxy powder coated, which would be longer lived than exposed metal or zinc plated.

Last edited by brad_bb; 05/07/10 01:12 PM.
Re: patch beam question [Re: Barnmover] #23509 05/07/10 05:13 PM
B
Barnmover Offline OP
OP Offline
B
How about the same plan, but with the lower lag bolt angled up at 45 degrees and the upper lag bolt angled down at 45 degrees? That way I would be crossing the grain instead of riding parallel and risking a split that releases the tension on the lag bolt.

Re: patch beam question [Re: Barnmover] #23510 05/07/10 06:54 PM
frwinks Offline
check out the below link and look for "splined with tabeled housing" joint. I would also increase the housing (shelf) depth to something more than 1/4"...
http://books.google.ca/books?id=AX9nvlKG...non&f=false

timberlinx is another option

there's a thin line between hobby and mental illness
Re: patch beam question [Re: frwinks] #23512 05/08/10 01:06 AM
B
Barnmover Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I like the Timberlinx solution (model A475). At $25 each they are out of my price range. I think I could use the same solution with a piece of thick wall tubing and a long grade 8 bolt. How deep would you recommend for the housing (shelf)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users