Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Windows #2423 03/17/06 01:25 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, this question is not specific to timber frame homes, but they need windows too so here it goes.

Can anyone help, my head is spinning there are so many options out there. I'm nearly sold on Marvin Integrity windows, wood inside and durable ultrex outside. They are more than vinyl, but less than an all wood window. I haven't gotten any Andersen prices, but to be honest the ultrex with the Marvin seems to be a much better product than what Andersen has to offer. Then there's aluminum clad.......... I just don't know.

At any rate, I'm looking for a window that is NOT white on the outside. I want to match my trim to the window color, wood inside is not necessary but would be nice. Vinyl comes in colors, but that same color would be on the inside, which may or may not look very good. Also, I've heard colored vinyls fade??? I realize I'm not asking for much but any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Windows #2424 03/17/06 06:17 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Window selection is always a challenge. I just retrofitted all the windows (19) in my home in VA and the first month's gas consumption (Jan) went down by more than 50% compared to last year same time. Wonder now why I didn/t replace the windows years ago. My research found several options. price variation for similar units can vary as much as 100%. Choose carefully using some of the following criteria after you rank them in importance to you.
Your location in ME call for double pane gas filled with low e treatment to get maximum insulating properties.
Vinyl now has comptetiton from composites (made by Anderson)
Aluminum clad acts as a thermal conductor even with a thermal break and that paint will chalk over time.
Vinyl with titanium in the extrusion eliminates the warping and distorting of vinyl alone.
Any vinyl should be reinforced at the corner welds.
If you select wood or composites you are volunteering for painting over time.
Casements are more weather tight than double sash.
Warranties can vary a lot.
Good luck

Re: Windows #2425 03/17/06 01:51 PM
Raphael D. Swift Offline
I'm not really an expert on windows but I do know you get what you pay for (sometimes less).

If you were to call my brother and ask him to install Anderson for you the labor quote will be higher than if you asked him to install Marvin or Pella, especially if they require jamb extensions. He'd also be charging by the hour rather than setting a fixed price.

I've got my father's barn stuffed with LePage windows waiting to go onto our frame once the stress skin is in place. They are solid wood (no finger joints) and the exterior has been stained prior to assembly so the wood is protected on surfaces you'll never see. The retail price on these windows was absolutely frightening, but the actual price paid wasn't, this seems to be common practice around here with the smaller window manufacturers.

The nice thing about dealing with LePage and companies like them is that custom sizes aren't a problem as they make up the units when ordered rather than pulling them out of a warehouse, this does mean a longer wait for delivery.

Raphael D. Swift
DBA: DreamScapes
Re: Windows #2426 03/27/06 01:21 AM
J
J. ODonnell Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input. Every little bit helps. Anymore is greatly appreciated.

Re: Windows #2427 03/31/06 12:24 AM
P
Pete Ladd Offline
P
I am a dinosaur on this topic, but I don't favor double pane glass. I've seen way too many fog and fail prematurely. When you figure the extremely high cost of windows against their limited life, I question the "savings" on energy. I have taken many thousands of dollars worth of windows to the dump, to add to the large pile that is always there.

Even the best energy rated windows are only slightly better than nothing, compared to the rest of the house as a whole. Heresy, I know! I think good sealing sashes and installation detailing are a higher priority than R-value.

My personal choice is a high quality single pane with a good storm window. Traditional true divided lights will look much better in this configuration.

Very unscientific and old-farty. But I am uncomfortable putting 25 year components into a 500 year frame.

Anyone else have opinions on this, or shall I crawl back into my cave? :rolleyes:

Pete

Re: Windows #2428 03/31/06 04:36 AM
E
Emmett Greenleaf Offline
E
Do the math.
50 % saving in fuel bill recovers cost of double pane gas filled low E anti UV windows in 5 or so years. And you feel no drafts nor can you detect them in a windstorm with a candle.
This does not include the saving for non fading of your priceless oriental rugs and antique overstuffed furniture and drapes or other window treatments.
properly installed with forever elastomeric caulk and forever metal cladding over the old exterior woodwork you will save several thousand dollars every few years by NOT painting.
Net out, only buy your windows from a reputable manufacturer who will honor their warranty. And live quietly while you smile all the way to the bank.

Re: Windows #2429 03/31/06 10:31 PM
P
Pete Ladd Offline
P
Emmett,

I don't argue with you, cause I know I'm in a recidivist minority.

But my fuel bill was down maybe 50% this year too, and I didn't change any windows - it was just a mild winter....

Pete

Re: Windows #2430 04/03/06 01:36 AM
E
elg Offline
E
We're building a p & b with Foard panels and the custom window guys I've spoken to (and cannot afford) have recommended Loewen windows. Their standard window is doug fir and they are beautiful. Also, the quotes I've gotten for the double hungs and casements are less than if you bought Marvins - which suprised me. Finally, they make their glass, I believe, which means that instead of having a small pin hole where the argon goes in, they put the gas in during the manufacturing vertical process (?) which means the gas doesn't leak out. I've been told not to bother with the Argon otherwise because it does eventually leak out of other windows. They are trying to build windows for generations, not just for 20-25 years, and a panel company owner I know installed them in his own house.
Just an FYI - doing the same research right now.

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users