Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Advice on tailoring an ideal TF resume #24308 08/28/10 09:16 PM
E
EJC Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I am looking for any and all advice I can get on preparing an ideal resume to apply to timber framing firms. I'm a student of multiple timber framing/log building programs, and as a result I have plenty of experience with common timber tools, and layout techniques and even computer aided design. The problem I'm having is how to convey this experience to potential employers.

As a prospective employer, what would you personally prefer to see on a resume?

Any advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Re: Advice on tailoring an ideal TF resume [Re: EJC] #24309 08/28/10 10:18 PM
B
bmike Offline
B
Would really depend on the employer.

My suggestion is to research the company you are applying to and tune your resume to them.

What has worked for me (in looking for studio assistant positions, teaching, and timber framing) - was to find likely people or companies I wanted to work for. Research them. Ask for a visit. Start building a dialog. Know plenty about who you want to work for, what type of work they do. Maybe visit a project or two.

Then submit a letter or resume, maybe even face to face by dropping it off. Build a dialog. Tune the resume to the company. Tweak how your skills are listed and experiences related for anything that might add value to the potential employer. Know how to fly a helicopter? Add it if they do mountain top cabin raisings. Ski the backcountry? Add it to a 'about me' section if you know the owner / manager / shop foreman is a powderhound. Know an ancient method of scribing, and the secret handshake that comes with it? List it in a way that sells your skill set. Fly a computer doing 3d modeling of complex roof systems? Note it if their web gallery is full of roof joinery....

Last check, Monster.com didn't have all too many TF positions that you could send off 100 stock resumes to... so customization within a craft / industry that has a wide range of expertise / styles / skills / personalities etc. will help.

Last edited by bmike; 08/28/10 10:20 PM.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users