Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Frame design for hip and valley roof needed #23995 07/01/10 10:10 PM
T
timberwrestler Offline
T
It's teak.

The frame looks great! Pretty tough first project as well.

-B

Re: Frame design for hip and valley roof needed #23998 07/02/10 02:10 AM
C
canopy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
For sure it was a very tough design for a starter project, but in hindsight I wouldn't have done it any other way. It's just what I wanted. The nice thing about the size (about 9x12' at the posts) is it was just small enough to do about everything myself; moving around members, fitting, and so forth. I was even able to raise the roof on my own. I really like that every bit of the frame is wood; no steel or plastic used for joinery. I also did about everything with just a chisel, hand saw and drill. I'll fit it out with a clay tile roof and leichtlehm walls. While this first framing experience was invaluable, there's much more to learn and I have more frames to build there.

In case anyone is contemplating timber framing, as a newbie I will tell you it is factors tougher than anything else I have done with wood. There are constant mental and physical challenges to solve. You really want 1/32nd precision in everything you do and you can't tolerate even small mistakes. The people doing timber framing are very, very good craftsmen and have machine like skills. I was lucky to have timberwrestler be my Jedi master for a brief, but crucial level 1 apprenticeship.

Re: Frame design for hip and valley roof needed #24371 09/08/10 12:23 PM
C
canopy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
So a little update: my hip roof build is coming along. I decided to show more wood than my original plan so got a router and decked above the rafters with tongue and groove teak and will leave an open soffit to show the decking and rafter tails.

Doing the roof now. Mostly will be clay tile, but in the below pic you can see I am also doing some copper that started out as just skylight flashing but have expanded usage for various needs. I'm doing all old school copper welting using simple hand tools. The only book in print to learn about it I found was from the 1940's. It's kind of like origami; the joinery is darn intriguing just as timber joinery is. Fascinating experience just the same.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
Bradyhas1, cpgoody, James_Fargeaux, HFT, Wrongthinker
5137 Registered Users