Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need help on using TF rubies #24453 09/22/10 02:14 AM
51steve Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Everyone,

I have existing sketchup drawings that I would now like to use in creating a working set of timber frame drawings.

I have downloaded the TF rubies to my Mac and placed them in the right spot- Hard Drive/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/Plugins. I have also downloaded Clark Bremer's library of timbers and joints. When using Sketchup I can find the timber list at: PLUGINS/TF RUBIES/TIMBER LIST but I can't do anything with it.

Could someone please help me out? I have read and used the "Sketchup for Dummies" book, and I have already made components in my drawings. My goal is to first experiment with Clark's timber library by making a set of shop drawings for a fictional timber frame house, then produce the real shop drawings for our place with my own timber library.

I've searched the "software" portion of this chat group and can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks!

Re: Need help on using TF rubies #24454 09/22/10 02:51 AM
B
bmike Offline
B
Buy Clark's book:

http://tfguild.stores.yahoo.net/tifrdeusgosk.html

Proceeds benefit the TFG and its money well spent to keep supporting things like this forum.

The book explains how to assign TF Joints within your SketchUp models, insert pegs, create lists, etc.

On a Mac the timber list Ruby will export a list of all components in your SketchUp model to a text file. You'll need to set up the preferences in Plugins>TF Rubies>Configure.

On a PC this will export to a text file or Excel file.

For shop drawings you'll need to understand components, inserting components within other components, detailing with dimensions, etc. TF Joints are just smaller components that live within your 'timber' components.

I use the Pro version so I can detail bents and sections in LayOut. The Rubies can generate individual pieces parts - but for the overall frame / house design you'll need to get good at using SketchUp and Layers and the Outliner or use LayOut (pro) or another CAD program.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC.
www.mikebeganyi.com
Re: Need help on using TF rubies #24461 09/22/10 01:49 PM
daiku Offline
To see if the plugins are installed correctly, pull down the plugins menu, and see if there is an item called 'tf rubies'.

I would not install the libraries under the plugins folder. I would put them somewhere with your own user space, not system space. I put mine in MyDocuments/Sketchup/Components/FS Timbers, etc.

Open the components window, and press the "flyout" menu button, which is the arrow the points to the right. Select "open or create local collection" and browse to the place you put the libraries. You may want to "add to favorites" once you have it open. CB.

--
Clark Bremer
Minneapolis
Proud Member of the TFG
Re: Need help on using TF rubies #24470 09/23/10 02:49 AM
51steve Offline OP
OP Offline
Whoo Hoo!

I'm clickin' and draggin'- thanks gents!

Moderated by  Jim Rogers, mdfinc, Paul Freeman 

Newest Members
HFT, Wrongthinker, kaymaxi, RLTJohn, fendrishi
5134 Registered Users